Author Topic: Cold-er weather considerations  (Read 3841 times)

Offline Beamer

Cold-er weather considerations
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:18:13 AM »
I'm probably going riding in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan this weekend, and I am anticipating riding in upper 30's to about 50 deg weather while doing so. I have the riding gear for it, but I was wondering opinion on if I should do anything to my C-14? I have been riding to work at 5am with these temps, and I see that the temp gauge stays at one bar unless I'm stopped.

I was wondering if I should try to block some air from the radiator, etc.... to help hold some heat it.

Fluids are synthetic 10-40 BelRay engine oil, and the drive fluid has been switched to Synthetic Valvoline 75-90 GL-5, so that is covered at least.

Son of Pappy

Re: Cold-er weather considerations
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:24:21 AM »
Nope, been in the teens, no issues to speak of.  Get some Baker hand wings and heated grips, makes the ride so much more comfortable!  I also got a Gerbings jacket liner last year, all I gotta say is OMG, why didnt I do this sooner???

Offline jayke

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 09:46:41 AM »
Bike will be fine, no worries.  I ride mine down into the 30's.  Love my heated gear ;D

Offline Beamer

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 09:53:06 AM »
I'm ok with my gear and the temps, I just wondered if I should look at anything on the bike.

Offline ridingfar

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
Ride more, worry less.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 10:24:29 AM »
The bike behaves perfectly down to 11 F that I know of. A couple of considerations in cold weather though- let the bike warm up before trying to ride it or it will shift like a cement truck (due to thick oil). I would not use anything thicker than 10W- XX oil, and 5W- XX is not a bad idea either (you can mix them for ~7.5W- XX if you want). The tires will not warm up very well below about 45 F so be aware and careful; when it is 25 F outside that is not the time to try to drag a knee or do a stoppie, at least not on sport-touring tires. Also if the temps. are going to stay pretty low you might want to let a couple of PSI out of the tires because they will not warm up nearly as much as during summertime temperatures (unless extended riding on the highway).

Otherwise, this bike acts as good as anything else on the road in the winter. No other considerations and I have had my C-14 through 3 full winters in New England now.

Brian

I'm ok with my gear and the temps, I just wondered if I should look at anything on the bike.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »
Cold-er weather considerations

Consider Southern California, Arizona, South TX, or Florida for the winter
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »
Is there any benefit to blocking off part of the radiator in cold temps so the engine doesn't run so cold?

Offline TRBN

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 11:02:25 AM »
Is there any benefit to blocking off part of the radiator in cold temps so the engine doesn't run so cold?

Negative.  I've ridden down to the teens and the bike will still run one bar below half.  No need to block off the radiator..

Aaron

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
... and remember, it takes longer for them tires to warm up in colder weather.  So take it easy on them for a while longer.  You may also notice the "Low battery" TPMS warning, this shall pass after the tires warm up after a few miles.

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »
Enjoy the added HP due to the dense cool air. 8)

It should smoke the rear tire on corner exits easier as well. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 04:57:12 PM »
Actually, I may just try blocking the rad (a little) this winter.  I ain't doing it for me, though.  I'm doing it so the engine runs warmer.  I could care less about me being warmer.  I already have that gear.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »
Why? Is your bike running cold? Mine comes up to temp. quickly and holds steady at two bars like the gauge is broken. If yours does not do that I would suspect the thermostat is not working quite right, and that should be an S.E.P. (somebody else's problem, warranty in this case).

Brian

Actually, I may just try blocking the rad (a little) this winter.  I ain't doing it for me, though.  I'm doing it so the engine runs warmer.  I could care less about me being warmer.  I already have that gear.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »
Nope, it's working as designed.  I just want it to heat up a bit more.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 06:34:55 PM »
I'll pull the heat shields out for the cold season.

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 11:29:04 PM »
Seriously, don't worry and just ride the bike. I rode all Winter last year in Pittsburgh. It's no different than a car as far as mechanicals go. Tires take a bit longer to heat up as others have pointed out though. If you have a marginal battery in your tire pressure sensors you may get a low battery warning when you start out if it is under about 40F. It should start to work again as it warms up. Mine did it all Winter but I still haven't had it replaced. It works fin now.

Offline Beamer

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 06:27:24 AM »
FWIW - My buddy I was going to meet called last night and cancelled

But I have been riding to work in the 40's and I have noticed that the mileage drops off considerably once I get below 50 deg or so. I think the stock map is so rich, that or a MAP sensor isn't particularly in-sync with the temps. Lower 40's mpg when it was 70 degrees out, in the cold it is down to 33-35, and that is just cruising at 70mph on the highway. The bike is all stock

Why Kawasaki built such a high-end bike without a O2 sensor is beyond me.

I was considering blocking the radiator some just to keep the water temp up near the middle of the gauge. Currently, in 45 deg weather, I only get the bar that surrounds the "C" on the gauge unless I am stopped (it is full of coolant)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 07:36:49 AM »
I'll pull the heat shields out for the cold season.

+1  I usually pull them off, let the warm air flow over my legs... even if I can't really tell a difference, it's that mental trickery.  :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!