Author Topic: Really really elementary question about checking oil  (Read 6030 times)

Offline bhodge10

Really really elementary question about checking oil
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »
So what is the proper way to check oil through the sight glass, is it up on the center stand in the normal resting position (front wheel on ground, back wheel up) or is it when the back wheel is on the ground (by pushing down on the back of the bike to lift up the front wheel)? I know it's a basic question, but I just want to make sure my oil level is correct.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Really really elementary question about checking oil
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:11:50 PM »
I don't think you will find much difference between the 2. So I just put it on the center stand leaving the front tire on the ground and check the sight guage.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »
If you go by the book, you're sposed to hold the bike level and then check the glass. Easier said that done with one person.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »
How do you know when it's level?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Makz58

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »
I check mine sitting on the bike use one of those extendable adjustable mechanics mirrors to see where the oil level is in the sght glass works great.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »
As others have said, with the bike "level" which is not on the centerstand. That said, it is really not that critical- I fill mine on the centerstand with the front wheel on the ground and try to stay toward the lower mark. When you push the rear end of the bike down, the oil in the sight glass will increase but not by that much. If you fill it until the level is in-between the marks on the sight glass, even with the front wheel on the ground, it won't be appreciably overfull when level.

Besides, what happens to the oil level when climbing hills? How about going down hills? See- it really is not all that critical.  ;)

Brian

So what is the proper way to check oil through the sight glass, is it up on the center stand in the normal resting position (front wheel on ground, back wheel up) or is it when the back wheel is on the ground (by pushing down on the back of the bike to lift up the front wheel)? I know it's a basic question, but I just want to make sure my oil level is correct.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »

Details? You're bothering me with details?  :o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 03:37:21 PM »
Center stand, front wheel touching ground.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:40:16 PM »

When it doesn't want to fall over!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 04:41:29 PM »
Details? You're bothering me with details?  :o

If we want to turn this into an epic thread, we'll need to go off on a tangent.  This is a perfectly good starting point.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »
If you don't start and run it for a few minutes, then let it settle for a couple of minutes before checking, you'll get a false reading.

;)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 05:51:23 PM »
Yes, even I can screw up....... :'(   But enough about me....anyone for a good oil thread?  Please......

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:54:45 PM »
Mebbe not- we have been successful in discussing oil in some pretty long threads. For example, someone could ask if it was better to be over full or under full if using synthetic oil vs. mineral oil. If synthetic oil is better, we should need less of it, right? Is there a "goodness per quart" rating on oil? How much gooderer is synthetic oil. And so forth...

But I wouldn't mention any of that because this thread still has a pretty reasonable tone and if Mary Jane Tinklepants doesn't come along, it might just die out.

Brian

If we want to turn this into an epic thread, we'll need to go off on a tangent.  This is a perfectly good starting point.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 07:08:37 PM »
Mebbe not- we have been successful in discussing oil in some pretty long threads. For example, someone could ask if it was better to be over full or under full if using synthetic oil vs. mineral oil. If synthetic oil is better, we should need less of it, right? Is there a "goodness per quart" rating on oil? How much gooderer is synthetic oil. And so forth...

But I wouldn't mention any of that because this thread still has a pretty reasonable tone and if Mary Jane Tinklepants doesn't come along, it might just die out.

Brian
Not if I have anything to do with it. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 04:48:16 AM »

trudat

Speaking of balance, I wonder who here can sit on their stopped C14 the longest without putting a foot down? I can do about 5 seconds with no wind. It's not pretty though...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 04:48:55 AM »
Yes, even I can screw up....... :'(   But enough about me....anyone for a good oil thread?  Please......

Say it ain't so Jim, say it ain't so!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 04:58:22 AM »
trudat

Speaking of balance, I wonder who here can sit on their stopped C14 the longest without putting a foot down? I can do about 5 seconds with no wind. It's not pretty though...

About a tenth of a second for me...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 04:59:13 AM »
Say it ain't so Jim, say it ain't so!

It's true.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 07:39:16 AM »
trudat

I can do it for a second or 2 on my DR 650 but I don't even try it on my connie.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 09:00:40 AM »
Wait a minute, are you saying that you put your feet down sometimes? No need for that and having to do so usually means you fob is leaning to one side or the other. Straighten your fob and the bike will not be able to fall over.

Brian

trudat