Author Topic: Picking up new Connie Wednesday  (Read 8844 times)

Offline timbo

Re: Picking up new Connie Wednesday
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 06:12:35 AM »
Congrats Timbo, you gave up a beautiful 08 LE but you will enjoy a huge improvement in comfort with room to take along all those needful things.

I also came off an 08 LE 109, I miss that bike but the C14 is just awesome. Tomorrow I'll be riding mine from Little Rock to just east of Abilene, Tx. to see mom and then back home on Sunday, if I still had the 109 I would be dreading the ride, with the 14 I am looking foreward to it because I know my legs and back will still have some feeling after a 900 mile round trip.

Enjoy your new ride.

Thanks Excavator. I love the 9 but for me it just killed my tailbone just after 100 miles. It was not a bike you could ride any long distance for me. I love the riding position of the Connie! Now just add some risers and a new confy seat and I will be set. Oh and maybe an exhaust system too  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 08:22:38 AM »
Congrats!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 03:06:46 PM »
I am really looking forward to you getting your bike. (let me explain)

I currently ride a Vulcan 900LT and even with a Mustang touring seat, about 40 miles and my tailbone
is killing me. I do have some back problems so I was thinking I may have to quit riding.

Then a friend was telling me the problem could be the forward foot postion and a bike like his FJR, where
your feet are up under you may solve my problem.

Well being a Kawi guy my whole life I am very interested in the C14.
Im just not ready to pull the trigger till I hear from more people with back issues.

So please let us know about the tailbone pain.

I commute daily 86 miles round trip. The morning is stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for the last 30 minutes. The C14 is fine on my stock seat. I start to get a little discomfort on rides about 150 miles or longer. I can tolerate it for a tank (about 225 miles). then I have to get off and rest my butt. But 40 miles is never a problem.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 04:48:34 PM »
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 08:12:15 PM »
I am really looking forward to you getting your bike. (let me explain)

I currently ride a Vulcan 900LT and even with a Mustang touring seat, about 40 miles and my tailbone
is killing me. I do have some back problems so I was thinking I may have to quit riding.

Then a friend was telling me the problem could be the forward foot postion and a bike like his FJR, where
your feet are up under you may solve my problem.

Well being a Kawi guy my whole life I am very interested in the C14.
Im just not ready to pull the trigger till I hear from more people with back issues.

So please let us know about the tailbone pain.

I know your pain... literally! I too was on a 900LT, and could not ride it more that 30 min without horrible back pain and my ass was on fire.  I got rid of that for a C10, and now I have the C14.  Having your legs up under, and leaning forward takes all the pressure off your back. Best decision ever! 
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Ozark Vulcan

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 05:54:33 PM »
Man that is great to hear.
Now I gotta get a test ride on one, and then convince momma  ;D

Offline okxd45

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
I second what Caffeine said. I have a couple of bad discs in the lumbar and one in the thoracic. I've taken some pretty long rides, and my back is never the sore body part. For me it's the butt, and will be eventually remedied with a better seat! Congrats on the new ride!  8)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 06:46:51 AM »
Man that is great to hear.
Now I gotta get a test ride on one, and then convince momma  ;D

Where are you located?  MO or AR Ozarks?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 09:43:15 AM »
Congrats!!
Joel from Maine.

Offline Ozark Vulcan

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 08:55:02 PM »
Yeah, Flippin, AR I'm about 15 miles from Push Mountain Road if you have heard of it.

There are a ton of videos on youtube of it. I have never been to the dragon in NC

but I sure some of our roads would be close to it.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 09:02:12 PM »
Yeah, Flippin, AR I'm about 15 miles from Push Mountain Road if you have heard of it.

There are a ton of videos on youtube of it. I have never been to the dragon in NC

but I sure some of our roads would be close to it.

AR 341 is one of my favorite roads.  I will be down there next month to hit 309 (Mt Magazine) and Pig Trail and whatever other great roads Arkansas has to offer.  There really aren't any bad choices.  This will be my third trip this year and 6th overall since last year when I first started riding. 

Hopefully you can find a dealer that has a used C14 since that is the easiest way to get a test ride.  If you can't find one I would let you take mine for a spin as long we have a "you break it, you bought it" agreement.  But be warned, you will want one as soon you get off of my bike.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2011, 01:50:49 PM »
Well I just put a down payment on a 2011 silver abs connie today. It is in the crate. They are putting it together tomorrow and I'm picking it up wed morning. I'm coming from an 08 Suzuki M109R cruiser. Hope I like the connie as much as you all do. The cruiser was killing my tailbone with my feet out in front of me. I think with my feet under me is going to help a lot! I will post some pics when I get it. Already got a list of mods I'm wanting to do.

Wow...this is the exact same reason I switched from HD cruiser to a sport tourer. Only use my cruiser around town or short stint of no more then 60 - 70 mile round trip. By then my tail bone is mush.

One thing I would like to point out though is that initially the pain changed from tail bone (cruiser) to my wrist with my hands going numb (C14). It was just a very different posture for me and found myself putting most my weight on my hands. A few things and suggestions from good members helped me out tremendously and I do not experience them at all:
1) First is to get some tennis wrap and wrap that grip. For $10, this is an awesome mod to relieve a lot of pressure. That grip is pretty hard. Probably suits some folks, but not me.
2) Learned to relax my grip more and hold on to the bike with my legs against the tank.
3) Got a cramp-buster (another $10) for the long rides. Some people say it is not good for spirited riding - but it does not matter for me because I got a permanent governor siting behind me.
4) Phil's wedges or any decent bar risers helped me have a bit more relaxed posture than the factory position of the handle-bars.

2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Ozark Vulcan

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »
Yep AR 341 that is Push Mtn Road.

Sad to say the guy who use to take pictures and put them on the web for sale.

Does not do it anymore, terrible story.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »
Yep AR 341 that is Push Mtn Road.

Sad to say the guy who use to take pictures and put them on the web for sale.

Does not do it anymore, terrible story.

What happened, I noticed he wasn't there either of the times that I was there this year.  I figured he just wasn't there that particular day.

Offline Ozark Vulcan

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 09:19:36 PM »
What I heard 2nd hand, but I believe to be reliable.
Is that he was driving his pickup out to the spot he sits in.
And some kid on crotch rocket crossed the centerline in a curve and hit him head on.
It threw the kid up into his windshield and killed the kid.
And the Push Mountain Pics guy felt guilty that him out there taking pictures
was encourging people to ride faster than their ability.
So he quit taking pics and took his website down.
I had stopped and talked to him many times he was a good guy.
He had told me about a couple people who had wrecked right in front him
when he was taking pictures. You know trying to get that maximum lean photo.

Offline Khrome

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 09:43:11 PM »
Bummer  :-\
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S