Author Topic: Preference for Track Day tire pressures?  (Read 5702 times)

Offline stewart

Preference for Track Day tire pressures?
« on: September 25, 2011, 08:14:34 AM »
I have a track day coming up which will be my 2nd ever and I'm curious what pressures people run when they are either on the track or tight twisty roads.

The track I will be on is tight and technical so I'm looking for best handling, turn transition...without loosing too much grip.

I was thinking 38-40 psi maybe. Thoughts?
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: Preference for Track Day tire pressures?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:11:04 AM »
I have yet to run a track day, but I think you would be safe in your projected range.  You could easily run 36 cold since probably every C14 owner left the dealer with that much air in their tires unless the dealer knew that these heavy beasts eat tires with anything less than 40 psi cold.  A little more traction and the pressure is high enough that you shouldn't chew up your tires that bad.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:17:48 AM »
I wouldn't run any less than 40 on street tires.  I personally run 42/42 for all riding including aggressive twisties.  I don't track the Concours but I run 36/38 in my GSXR, on street Pilot Powers, on the track.  Race slicks get considerable less pressure but they heat cycle themselves to about that pressure once they get hot.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:25:21 AM »
PAGING STEVE....  PAGING STEVEWFL !

My guess is OEM recommended pressure - COLD.  And see what your hot temps are.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Steve Bell

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
I ran 30/30 at my last track day on my GSX-R 1000, if I was to take the Concours to the track I would probably start with 35/35 cold and then check the increase after the first session. When I was road racing we were looking for a 10% increase in tire pressure from cold to hot. More than 10% meant the tire pressure was too low and less than 10% meant the pressure was too high. Nowadays racers uses tire temperature to determine if you need to raise or lower the pressure.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »
I ran 30/30 at my last track day on my GSX-R 1000, if I was to take the Concours to the track I would probably start with 35/35 cold and then check the increase after the first session. When I was road racing we were looking for a 10% increase in tire pressure from cold to hot. More than 10% meant the tire pressure was too low and less than 10% meant the pressure was too high. Nowadays racers uses tire temperature to determine if you need to raise or lower the pressure.

+1

I would start there too. I'd up or down a few pounds from there depending on how it handled and what the tire pressure went up to hot.

Son of Pappy or someone else may have a more valuable opinion from experience, I've been a track addict but haven't had my C14 bike at the track.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:28:57 PM by stevewfl »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 10:35:36 PM »
10% rise in pressure, when the tires are in "race condition", is the accepted norm. It's my understanding that 99.99% of  riders will never need to use that equation. Also, if you vary the pressure from what you're normally used to, handling will be different... Different enough that you may perform poorly.

SteveWFL may relay my riding style, and I run 42/42 PSI on a Dunflop rear and PR2 front on my C-10.

Enjoy your track day, it is a TOTAL hoot :)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »
10% rise in pressure, when the tires are in "race condition", is the accepted norm. It's my understanding that 99.99% of  riders will never need to use that equation. Also, if you vary the pressure from what you're normally used to, handling will be different... Different enough that you may perform poorly.

SteveWFL may relay my riding style, and I run 42/42 PSI on a Dunflop rear and PR2 front on my C-10.

Enjoy your track day, it is a TOTAL hoot :)

Rick

^^^^his riding style is RAILING the bike
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:26:16 PM »
38-40 is what I run, tried 36 but I didnt like em.  I've even tried 42, one lap, dropped to 38, same for the Angels and PR2s.  Sure helps remove that flat spot!  Nice and round.

Waiting on some pics I had taken just for Steve, the bags was on ;D

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 07:39:27 AM »
38-40 is what I run, tried 36 but I didnt like em.  I've even tried 42, one lap, dropped to 38, same for the Angels and PR2s.  Sure helps remove that flat spot!  Nice and round.

Waiting on some pics I had taken just for Steve, the bags was on ;D

Post em up! 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 09:12:10 AM »
http://perfect-shotz.com/browse.php?event_id=14&group_id=102

Link to pics, I'll have more later.  Do keep in mind, this is a street skills oriented class, the photog goes on lunch when the coaches go out and play!!

Offline stewart

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 05:43:28 AM »
Thanks to all for your input.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »
just my two cent as I'm no expert. I've yet to do a track day but I am interested. I looking at a lot of vids on utube of track techs setting up street bikes. one thing I see talked about in all of them concerning tire pressure is outside temp. though no one has said what the dividing point is between a cool day and a hot day. they just say run higher pressure for cool days and lower pressure for hot days.

anyone wanna take a guess where the temps divide???

Offline stewart

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 04:19:41 PM »
they just say run higher pressure for cool days and lower pressure for hot days.

I'm no expert either, but I think that is back to front. On my 1st day, it was very cold and they advised everyone, several times, to lower pressures. This enables the tire carcass to flex and warm up against the ambient cold and cold track surface. While on hotter days I suspect you run the tires closure to normal temps, I doubt they would suggest running them higher.

As least that's my understanding.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 04:28:10 PM »
Since my track sessions are geared as an Advanced Street Skills day I try to keep things close to what I would run on the street, making small allowances as I push it harder there then I do on the street.  I have run 42 several times, it's nice to know how they react when used harder then normal.

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »
I'm no expert either, but I think that is back to front. On my 1st day, it was very cold and they advised everyone, several times, to lower pressures. This enables the tire carcass to flex and warm up against the ambient cold and cold track surface. While on hotter days I suspect you run the tires closure to normal temps, I doubt they would suggest running them higher.

As least that's my understanding.

OK I may have that backwards, I just tryed to recall out of the back of my head.  what temp would you decide what a cool day or a hot day was?

Offline stewart

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
OK I may have that backwards, I just tryed to recall out of the back of my head.  what temp would you decide what a cool day or a hot day was?

Ah...I have no idea...but this thread I found is a pretty good summary of my 1st track day. It was 50 degrees out and the organizer constantly warned riders in the early morning, then last afternoon.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87155

Then I found this interesting post discussing PR3s which I have fitted. While I don't drag knees or push beyond mine or the bikes limits, I found this interesting.

http://motorcyclesafetynews.com/?p=1576

And some more reading if your really keen.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0206_motorcycle_tire_pressure/index.html
http://www.bostonmoto.com/blog/bid/37586/Motorcycle-Tires-Pressure-Dial-it-in
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 07:10:34 AM »
They are sport-touring tires.

C14 is a sport tourer.

Nuff said.
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline stewart

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 10:07:40 AM »
They are sport-touring tires.

C14 is a sport tourer.

Nuff said.

I agree, and I love my bike.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380