Author Topic: Generator Woes.  (Read 1953 times)

Offline TjTexasJack

Generator Woes.
« on: August 25, 2011, 05:56:46 PM »
  Well the generator on Conkankerous is on the fritz. What are the cost difference between rebuilding this one or getting one of steal-bey? Found one for 145.$ In that the bike is my only current mode of transport can get buy using charger, But need to fix ASAP.
Tested via multimeter and pulling battery lead anyother possable problem sources?

Thank in advance.
Tj

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Generator Woes.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »
I ASSume you checked the alternator output connection? They can over heat and break contact and do other ugly things.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:47:09 AM »
I ASSume you checked the alternator output connection? They can over heat and break contact and do other ugly things.

+1, and if its a regulator issue you can fix it yourself for around $70.  P/N ESR025
2004 C10 RIP

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:18:02 AM »
. . . if its a regulator issue you can fix it yourself for around $70.  P/N ESR025

If you decide to go this route, make sure the rotor is not shorted before buying/replacing the regulator.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline RedWyvern

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 12:08:01 PM »
Jack, get it worked out?

I picked up an alternator of ebay for $42 shipped... come to find out IT was bad too.  Got in there with the manuf spec sheets and found my rectifier was bad, and blessed be his regulator was.  Since the regulator is much easy to remove, I put mine in his.  He was nice enough to refund all the money as it was not as described and not worth the money to ship back.  I did offer to go half and half!

Def check the output on the alternator, because as Steve mentioned the connector up behind the battery can crusty up, burn and melt.

Aftermarket rectifier is $80.