Author Topic: rear wheel reinstall  (Read 12410 times)

Offline speed545

rear wheel reinstall
« on: July 13, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »
hey guys,

about to put back the rear wheel after a tire change. manual says to apply high temp grease to seal lips but doesnt show where. Also to apply molybdenum grease on the splines.

I have high temp Lucas bearing grease. will it do the job on both application and where exactly do you apply grease on the seal lips?  I m a bit confuse.

Thx

08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: rear wheel reinstall
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
The consensus is to use Honda Molypaste 60 on the splines because it works best for the low speed/high presure situation. Any non or low moly grease will quickly get squeezed ot and  leave no lubrication. The moly past will leave behind a film. As for the seal lips I just slather on the high temp where the rubber seal contacts the axle then wipe off any excess after the axle is torqued.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »
Yep, zacktly what Lather said. The only thing I do differently is to put a dab of moly paste on the seal as well as the splines- it is not needed but it works in the same way synthetic oil does, it makes the owner (me in this case) feel better about a job well (better) done.

Brian

The consensus is to use Honda Molypaste 60 on the splines because it works best for the low speed/high presure situation. Any non or low moly grease will quickly get squeezed ot and  leave no lubrication. The moly past will leave behind a film. As for the seal lips I just slather on the high temp where the rubber seal contacts the axle then wipe off any excess after the axle is torqued.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline speed545

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:33:51 PM »
great

thx guys

i ll get a tube tomorrow while at the bike shop
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 11:54:27 PM »
Grease is no longer called grease when the percentage of add ins exceeds some number. (guess 50?)

Honda Moly 60 is a paste so anything labeled as grease likely is not okay.

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline speed545

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 04:27:38 PM »
ok,

looks easy but when out there the get one, it s not.

I have to order and, with the biggest luck, i ll have it next wednesday. I want to reinstall that wheel

any alternative???
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »
ok,

I have to order and, with the biggest luck, i ll have it next wednesday. I want to reinstall that wheel

any alternative???

I just use Valvoline wheel grease with moly in it.  So far no issues in 44k miles.  Just don't use a lot of it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 08:26:51 PM »
Yes but nothing readily available. It is just not a common material that retailers stock. You can use any moly paste with at least 50% moly content; I believe both Loctite and Permatex (sp?) offer this material but you would have to order both most likely. McCaster Carr is a great source but as you are in Canada, I do not know how long it will take the package to get to you (almost always one day to me). ??

You should be able to order Honda Moly paste 60 from any Honda dealer.

My suggestion is to use that material (or any moly paste with 50% or more moly content) in place of conventional grease. Chassis grease that is "moly" based is usually between 3% and 5% moly and does not compete with true moly paste for a high pressure, small movement lubricant. If you are in a spot to get your bike back together, I would suggest using some other type of grease, probably wheel bearing grease, for the time being and order the Honda paste. Use the Honda paste the next time you take the wheel off the for tire service, or just pull the wheel when the paste comes in as it is pretty easy to R & R the wheel anyway.

Brian

ok,

any alternative???
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 05:18:11 AM »
ok,

any alternative???

I called the local Honda dealer and asked if they had any Moly 60 in stock, they did, do I took a ride out there. They had a bunch of it hanging behind the counter. Seems it's been there for a while cuz it was covered in dust. They were more than happy to sell me some and wanted to know how many tubes I wanted.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 10:19:41 PM »
HONDA molly paste FTW

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 06:15:37 AM »
Often times you can tell how good the Moly Paste is by how much it costs. Dow Corning makes a paste, DC77M, and the last time I bought it was back in 2005. It was over 100.00 per pint.  Todays prices are scarier.  http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productid=410&Tab

Too expensive for motorcycle or automotive use, we used it inside our spring piston air rifles.  The Honda stuff is really, really good an d a lot less money.

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »
I was working on my rear wheel yesterday and opened a new tube of Honda Moly 60 Paste from a sealed package. The darned thing was only half full >:(. This is my first time using this product, but is this typical? There were no signs of leakage from the tube / package. I'm sure it will last me forever, but I sorta felt like I'd been had.
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »
Mine was about 2/3 full.

Some settling may occur due to shipment ...  :)
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 11:06:45 AM »
I was working on my rear wheel yesterday and opened a new tube of Honda Moly 60 Paste from a sealed package. The darned thing was only half full >:(. This is my first time using this product, but is this typical? There were no signs of leakage from the tube / package. I'm sure it will last me forever, but I sorta felt like I'd been had.

Yea, its like a potatoe chips. Settles over time. The amount listed on the tube is what you should've got.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »
Often times you can tell how good the Moly Paste is by how much it costs. Dow Corning makes a paste, DC77M, and the last time I bought it was back in 2005. It was over 100.00 per pint.  Todays prices are scarier.  http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productid=410&Tab

Too expensive for motorcycle or automotive use, we used it inside our spring piston air rifles.  The Honda stuff is really, really good an d a lot less money.

Nice another air gunner! What kind of gun did you tune? I have started down the road of PCP, however picked up a benji trail XL and LOVE it! The only tuning tear down was on a Big Cat

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 01:58:06 PM »
I just use Valvoline wheel grease with moly in it.  So far no issues in 44k miles.  Just don't use a lot of it.

Jim:  Regular moly grease has 5 to10% molydisulfide by volume - NOT enough.  Honda Moly60 has 60% moly by volume -- BIG difference !!  The carrier grease slings off or evaporates quickly and the moly is left behind as the lubricant, so the higher the concentration the better. 

Honda created the Moly60 for Goldwing driveshaft applications because the regular grease didn't protect the splines and they were wearing out prematurely.  Shops that still use regular grease on the driveshaft splines should be sued because they know better.

Belray also makes an assembly lube that is greater than 50% moly by volume and it should be OK for the C-14 application too.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »
I have always wondered what the Momma Kaw shops do when you take it in. Does is there a 60% moly Kaw lube?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 03:10:36 PM »
Jim:  Regular moly grease has 5 to10% molydisulfide by volume - NOT enough.  Honda Moly60 has 60% moly by volume -- BIG difference !!  The carrier grease slings off or evaporates quickly and the moly is left behind as the lubricant, so the higher the concentration the better. 

Honda created the Moly60 for Goldwing driveshaft applications because the regular grease didn't protect the splines and they were wearing out prematurely.  Shops that still use regular grease on the driveshaft splines should be sued because they know better.

Belray also makes an assembly lube that is greater than 50% moly by volume and it should be OK for the C-14 application too.

Yeah, I hear you, but I haven't had any issues in 45k miles and I used it on the C10 as well (75k miles no problems) and the Voyager (75k miles)....  Now I did do it once a year on all the bikes as part of my maintenance program.  So I'm sticking with it for now.  Show me a documented failure because it wasn't used and I'll change my tune.

Jim (head in the sand)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 09:08:27 AM »
I have always wondered what the Momma Kaw shops do when you take it in. Does is there a 60% moly Kaw lube?

I was told by a mechanic here they use Yamalube because it costs half as much as the Honda lube. I didn't get into the "amount of moly" debate between them, but thats what the stealership uses here. They carry several brand bikes, not just Kawi.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 10:20:26 PM »
Yeah, I hear you, but I haven't had any issues in 45k miles and I used it on the C10 as well (75k miles no problems) and the Voyager (75k miles)....  Now I did do it once a year on all the bikes as part of my maintenance program.  So I'm sticking with it for now.  Show me a documented failure because it wasn't used and I'll change my tune.

Jim (head in the sand)

Jim:  They're your bikes and you can maintain them as you choose -- my comments were more for the others reading this thread too.  For the little difference in cost, I can't justify using the regular grease which btw, I also use for auto suspension lube.  I paid $8 for a tube of the Moly60 and I haven't used half of it in 5 yrs so it really is inexpensive.
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."