Author Topic: Visibility  (Read 3853 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Re: Visibility
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »
I got some different colors of reflective tape from: http://www.streetglo.net/reflective.tape/

I posted pictures on here before, but I think Photobucket now blocks the image linking.

I liked the fact that they have black tape that reflects as well as the different colors so it blends in well with the lines of the bike.
I don't use the saddlebags very often (only on trips), so the only thing I have done to them is add some tape along the transition line where it changes from black to the main color of the motorcycle. It looks good and reflects very well. I have added extra strips of tape to various locations (rear and sides) to add to the reflective profile including adding the tape to my helmet as well.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 03:37:32 PM »
My bike can be seen day/night.  The turn signals are on and negative flash when turning.

Yep, that is what I did on the front- hugely effective.  Converting to two-level turn signals (always dim, bright when turning) is just not effective or bright enough.  And "switchback" is interesting, but I wanted yellow full time, which is far more visible.

Not only can the bike be seen day or night from any angle, but i'm drawing 2 volts less.

Do you mean "Amps"?  The voltage shouldn't change unless something was dreadfully wrong.

I have 3M reflective tape that matches the frame all over so you don't notice it during the day, but you can't miss it at night.  I put the same color-matched 3M tape on the helmet too.

I like that stuff too, although I only used it on the rear.  Thought about adding some on my helmet...

LED Flasher replaces stock flasher because the LEDs have a lower load and the ECU needs to be tricked.

You are not tricking the ECU- the ECU doesn't have anything to do with flashing the turn signals, it is just a load sensitive flasher unit.  If the load is too low, the stock flasher won't work correctly and will hyper-flash or not flash at all.

Eclipze2 module (need 4) to get turn signals to be always on and negative flash - EPZ2

That is a neat part!  Damn!  I wish that was available before I had to make my sucky home-made negative flasher unit with relays :)

Truflex amber LEDs.  I put 40 LED stripts on the leading edge of the front of the mirror housing and 50 LED strips around the outer edge of the housing.

Need to be shooting us some photos, yo!

I'll post some pictures.

Indeed :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 03:42:33 PM »
I posted pictures on here before, but I think Photobucket now blocks the image linking.

That is why it is much better to just resize them and then upload them to your post (not link) so they will always work and will never disappear.  Many old threads have been ruined due to photo linking, unfortunately.  And yes, many of those photo linking sites are now restricted in one way or another...

Well I can see them, but then I loaded the work around in my browsers (firefox and chrome) so long a go that forgot where they came from.

Interestingly, I can see all his photobucket images in just plain Firefox under Linux with no workaround or anything special (from the links you listed on our site).  Still, the results CAN be unpredictable.... one of the limitations now floating around is how MANY times per month ALL your linked images appear on sites, so one day they might be there and the next not and then a few days later they are back again.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 07:29:38 PM »
Tree, if you cannot see the images in the first link that fartymarty posted, let me know and I will get them loaded up as maxtog suggests.

It may not be the solution you are looking for, but it can be part of it!
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 01:11:41 PM »
You're going to be committed...

No kidding.  Straight to the Loonie Bin for me.   :o

I have to remind myself that I have been tweaking this motorcycle for only a few short years.  There are riders on this forum who have been at it for decades.  If you do some creative estimating then there are literally hundreds of years of experience on this forum alone.  That's freaking awesome!

Anyhow, I digress again.  I appreciate the links to the other pics of the various farkling (that's a real word in my head).  The lighting is on the list of visibility improvements but I will work with the reflective tape for meow (Super Trooper reference).

I have a set of reflective tape from MotoReflective.com for the saddlebags.  I have a question about the installation.  The instructions clearly state that the Wet method is superior and most forgiving vs. the Dry method.  However, the Wet method can take several days to complete, perhaps up to a week.  The Dry method can be applied in an hour.  I can opt for the Wet method if I want to leave the saddlebags off for a week,  and I can do without them for that time.

So, what I want to hear from you guys is what methods you used to apply these stickers.  Good vs. bad and potential improvements to the methods that resulted in a good fit.  I'm leaning towards the Dry fit because I'm naturally impulsive and impatient.  I'll dial those characteristics down while I wait for y'all to chime in.  Thanks.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »
The wet method probably should be used for your installation as it allows some time to re-position the stickers before the adhesive fully sets. If you do dry and start it out crooked, it's really difficult if not impossible to fix. Many of the reflective tapes are fairly soft and can rip easily if you pull on it to try and remove it half-way installed.
Scott