Author Topic: WOW that was a JOB!  (Read 3881 times)

Offline katata1100

Re: WOW that was a JOB!
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 11:28:52 PM »
I’ll add to my experience driving at 114 degrees-
I never had a problem with excess heat from the radiator. I did have a problem from heat coming from the stock muffler, my right leg calf really felt it. Btw, my bike is ‘11.
I now have a akropovic cf slipon and don’t want to see if that is better in 114 heat anytime soon.
One thing to think about- reverse the direction of flow and it might not be as effective in cooling off the radiator and you could see overheating.
My fan was constantly running and the temp gauge always at the highest mark of not overheating.
If it were 120 degrees, I wouldn’t be surprised if the over heating icon got lit.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 05:43:47 AM »
One thing to think about- reverse the direction of flow and it might not be as effective in cooling off the radiator and you could see overheating.

I don't think it would be much less efficient, but since we are reaching for the moon, just add that to the mix of smartness.... if it detects the bike is still too hot, it can switch back to rearward air movement.  :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 12:03:31 PM »
It would be less efficient. Instead of blowing in cooler outside air to cool off the radiator, you’d be drawing air from the enigine air, plus you’d probably not get the same volume drawing from the limited space in the tupper ware that you get from the outside.
The rider might also be hotter as rather than hot air be directed out of the vents and away from rider, it would be blown in front of the bike only to drift back to the rider .
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »
It would be less efficient. Instead of blowing in cooler outside air to cool off the radiator, you’d be drawing air from the enigine air, plus you’d probably not get the same volume drawing from the limited space in the tupper ware that you get from the outside.
The rider might also be hotter as rather than hot air be directed out of the vents and away from rider, it would be blown in front of the bike only to drift back to the rider .
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Yeah the engine heat in that area might not be ideal, however if the air can flow in and through that "limited space" it can flow out as well. If the concept can work for a Gold Wing it can work for a C14
at least on a theory level until proven that it can't. So far the only negatives are possible bearing load problems in the fans because of reversal; extra heat from drawing air from a radiantly hot engine area,
and it being a somewhat complicated automation project. Still until someone proves it won't work even manually I think we should keep encouraging max' to test it out.  :popcorn: 

Offline katata1100

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 02:46:19 PM »
If it’s going to be tested , let it be in phoenix, in stop and go traffic when it’s at least 114 degrees, then report back.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
If it’s going to be tested , let it be in phoenix, in stop and go traffic when it’s at least 114 degrees, then report back.

Cool! (pun intended) WE HAVE A VOLUNTEER!    ;D

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 04:59:15 PM »
I also forgot to mention, when I commented about running a compact, directionally designed, DC fan opposite of what it was designed for (Mechanically by design), that MOST also have reverse polarity and "stopped blade" protection built in..., and even if this one does not, curious myself, as I'm not about to "test" it on my $$$.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 05:14:40 PM »
Oh man, you are worried about money on such an important project? Do not even think of it Rich; when my African money comes in, I will send you enough to buy three DC fans, a LaCroy O-scope w/ current probe and a little extra for the local power plant. We want accurate results after all....

Brian

I also forgot to mention, when I commented about running a compact, directionally designed, DC fan opposite of what it was designed for (Mechanically by design), that MOST also have reverse polarity and "stopped blade" protection built in..., and even if this one does not, curious myself, as I'm not about to "test" it on my $$$.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 06:48:32 PM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline katata1100

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 07:14:07 PM »

Cool! (pun intended) WE HAVE A VOLUNTEER!    ;D

Sorry, but I’ll make it my goal to never ride a motorcycle in Phoenix in the middle of summer again! I did it once , that’s enough.
But hey, you can pick up from there.

My iPhone overheated so I lost gps.  I went into a Walmart to write directions on my arm and the ink just smeared from all the sweat . Just really sucked.
I was stuck in a Mexican restaurant with no power cuz a microburst dropped so much water that my bike would float away. Here is a pic from outside the city of that same storm:

https://www.google.com/search?q=phoenix%20microburst&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1#imgrc=vrGI0R4erKqF1M: