Author Topic: What would you like to see on the Next Generation GTR/Concours?  (Read 12170 times)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
Ok so I've got a Gen 1 and I'm not going to mention anything that may already have been changed (if I can help it)

So in no particular order lets kick off and see what others add to the list/comment on

1) A Bigger Fuel Tank (min 26 litres)
2) Squarer Mirrors . I know they were raised for the Gen 2 but IMHO the upwards sweep whilst looking nice creates a missing spot. (Compare with the mirrors on the ST1100 or the GTR1000)
3) Hazard lights that operate with ignition off
4) A Proper fuel low level light instead of the annoying big message (Ok Ok I know you can cancel it but unless you've fitted the Bypass mod you lose the range functionality when you possibly need it most). Actually a proper fuel tap would be nicer, always did prefer those.
5) Tyre Pressure Monitors with self charging batteries (think watches)
6) Larger Capacity Panniers (possibly expandable like some BMWs?)
7) A "cycle' Option on the dash display so it goes through each of the available screens every X second
8) Mirror mounted Indicators
9) LED/HID  headlight
10) Almost didnt add this as not strictly necessary but I like, Switchback DRL/Indicators

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
Re: What would you like to see on the Next Generation GTR/Concours?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »
Likewise, I have a gen1 and have done some of the mods listed to improve mine. What I don't see and after experiencing an issue 2 weekends ago which is a known problem, I would *love* to see a better and improved KiPass system. While I like the keyless fob and up until my recent issue, I'm all in for a new or better KiPass.

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 04:40:47 PM »
IMO you have the biggies except....offer a Cruise Control for us that want that option!
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »
You forgot to top off that list with perhaps the most important item: a lower price. 

Funny but we've been through this before and after all the folks wanting changes to the bike, and getting them in the Gen.2 and then Gen. 2.1, the number of price complaints went way up. Seems Kawasaki expects US to pay for these changes- imagine the nerve!  :-) 

Honestly, I can see the entire line of sport- tourers languishing. Honda has basically bowed out- I do not think they put $7 into R&D or upgrades on their ST in a decade. Yamaha has only managed one major upgrade. I fully believe that Kawasaki only builds C-14's because they also make ZX 14's; which is why the fuel tank is the size it is BTW, not a choice but the one they had lying around that fit the frame, that fit the engine, that fit the front end, etc. If they had to build the bike from scratch I would not be surprised in the least if they abandoned the whole idea of a Sport Tourer, as BMW has and as has everyone who used to make a full size tourer save Honda (and maybe Harley but they really only make one bike planform so they do not count).

Brian

Ok so I've got a Gen 1 and I'm not going to mention anything that may already have been changed (if I can help it)

So in no particular order lets kick off and see what others add to the list/comment on

1) A Bigger Fuel Tank (min 26 litres)
2) Squarer Mirrors . I know they were raised for the Gen 2 but IMHO the upwards sweep whilst looking nice creates a missing spot. (Compare with the mirrors on the ST1100 or the GTR1000)
3) Hazard lights that operate with ignition off
4) A Proper fuel low level light instead of the annoying big message (Ok Ok I know you can cancel it but unless you've fitted the Bypass mod you lose the range functionality when you possibly need it most). Actually a proper fuel tap would be nicer, always did prefer those.
5) Tyre Pressure Monitors with self charging batteries (think watches)
6) Larger Capacity Panniers (possibly expandable like some BMWs?)
7) A "cycle' Option on the dash display so it goes through each of the available screens every X second
8) Mirror mounted Indicators
9) LED/HID  headlight
10) Almost didnt add this as not strictly necessary but I like, Switchback DRL/Indicators
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 06:06:04 PM »
This is a rehash of existing threads...

Summary from what I can remember of the generally popular/accepted ones:

1) Projector [HID/LED] headlights (self leveling even better)   $$$ (but worth it)
2) Cruise control    $0
3) Larger fuel tank    $0
4) LED lights all around (brake/turn/markers)   $0
5) Larger, color computer screen with more simultaneous readouts and options   $+
6) Mirror mounted turn signals and marker/running lights   $0 or minimal
7 ) Ability to turn off linked brakes   $0
8 ) TPS that has external batteries   $minimal
9) Built-in rollover/crash protection bars or at least mounts for them   $minimal for mounts or $$ for bars
10) Throttle by wire   $required at this point so it doesn't matter

But just as important, the DO NOT CHANGE:
1) DO NOT TAKE AWAY THE ANALOG SPEEDOMETER AND TACHOMETER!
2) Don't change the shaft drive, it really works well.
3) Don't make it heavier.
4) Don't make it any taller.
5) Don't mess with the transmission- it is super nice.

We could go crazy with lots of exotic things (active suspension, electronic suspension, remote locking of bags, proprietary GPS, etc), but the bike would cost as much as a BMW :)  Well, maybe not THAT much....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:22:01 PM »
Well, you know, it's that time of year and we haven't had one of those threads in awhile..  I want cup holders and a shrubbery.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 09:15:59 PM »
Well, you know, it's that time of year and we haven't had one of those threads in awhile..  I want cup holders and a shrubbery.

I will be utterly shocked if things haven't change for 2018.  We had a nice, even DECADE of the C14...  that is quite impressive!  But Kawasaki needs to do a bit more than adding a mailslot on the windshield and painting the wheels black if they want to retain their top spot in this class.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:17:31 PM »
My Wish list:
Hydraulic valve lifters
Any other OEM tires than BS 021's
A proper OEM seat like Seth Laam can do
An exhaust pipe that doesn't visually assault the retinas and weighs less than 16 stone
Pay SISF big dollars to go to Japan and re- flash all the C-14's before they come here
Cruise control
All this for the same dollar allocation- ha

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 12:55:25 AM »
My Wish list:
Hydraulic valve lifters[...]

That's a good one.   I kinda doubt Kawasaki would do that, but wouldn't it be nice...

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 05:45:13 AM »
Height adjustable seat

Optional highway pegs or good mounting location for after markets that do not require tipover bars.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:32:43 AM »
Next gen should get ride-by-wire with built in CC to keep up with the competition.
Optional ESA maybe
But it also really needs to fix the evil flashing:
WARNING/PANIC screens for low fuel, tpms battery.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 09:00:14 AM »
Next gen should get ride-by-wire with built in CC to keep up with the competition.
Optional ESA maybe
But it also really needs to fix the evil flashing:
WARNING/PANIC screens for low fuel, tpms battery.

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:12 AM »

:thumbs:  Exactly right! Kawasaki software engineers need to read Douglas Adams!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
:thumbs:  Exactly right! Kawasaki software engineers need to read Douglas Adams!

I think the next model should be "42"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 04:13:43 PM »
I think the next model should be "42"

I love it! Kawasaki Concours 42. People would ask what does the 42 stand for? We don't so we are building a super computer to find out!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 04:19:15 PM »
As long as it's IBM, I'm ok with that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline overthehill

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »
I have a gen 1.  The thing I would most like to see on the Next Generation is ME!
1987 Connie gone
2003 Goldwing (yikes, no lean angle) gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 09:08:45 PM »
New zx14 motor with no detuning or at least offer as an option, bigger fuel tank and cruise control. I would buy a new bike then.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »
New zx14 motor with no detuning or at least offer as an option, bigger fuel tank and cruise control. I would buy a new bike then.

The C14 engine is not "de" tuned, it is tuned differently.... precisely as they wanted and intended for sports touring (reliability, comfort, noise, efficiency, refinement).  It is unlikely they would leave it exactly like in the ZX14 (power trumps everything) without "re" tuning it in some ways.

I would be surprised if a new generation C14 came out that was built on this same block, though (since they changed it for the ZX14).  It has to increase the complexity, expense, space, etc, to have to maintain the inventory and production capacity for two instead of just one.  The more interchangeability they have, the better their bottom line.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 10:10:22 PM »
Just to be able to afford the boney...... :'( :'( :'(
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14