Author Topic: Pin-hole leak in tank, now random electrical problems  (Read 1718 times)

Offline RapidRoy

Pin-hole leak in tank, now random electrical problems
« on: June 25, 2011, 12:14:17 AM »
I had a pin-hole leak poor gas all over my garage 2 nights ago. Could have been pretty ugly had there been a spark. At any rate, I got the leak plugged with some epoxy but now I'm having random electrical problems that appear and disappear.

First, it wouldn't start. Pressed the starter and absolutely nothing. Got out the voltmeter and had 12.3V at the battery terminals. I stuck the charger on for a few minutes just in case and it still wouldn't start. It was on the center stand, so I moved the side stand down and up a few times, then it fired.

Second, last night I turned off the bike and the tail light stayed on. I wasn't at home, so I just went back home. Tail light is now off.

Any ideas? Did gas get into something and just need to dry out? Seems I vaguely remember something about the J-box being a common source of electrical problems. Perhaps gas in the J-box?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
'99 C-10

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: Pin-hole leak in tank, now random electrical problems
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 06:06:30 AM »
The J-box sounds like a good place to start, especially with multiple symptoms. I don't know how conduuctive gasoline is, but it may have left oil, glue or rust behind that it picked up as it dripped. Also, gasoline will evaporate quickly and should not be a long term problem itself, but could have caused other issues along the way. Start with the J-box and keep up posted on progress.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:14:13 AM »
I looked in My CLymer Manual at the wiring diagram But they are not good about labeling the j-box part... although I did see there is a neutral safety switch. Try to jiggle the shifter while trying to start.

Offline RapidRoy

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I'll dig into the j-box and let everyone know what I found.
'99 C-10