Author Topic: Need to snug exhaust nuts w/least work  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Equito

Need to snug exhaust nuts w/least work
« on: June 12, 2011, 08:40:12 PM »
I've got a 1/4" ratchet w/3 and 6" extensions, plus a swivel.  Any trick to getting to the inner nuts without having to remove or lower the radiator or the whole bracket assembly?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:46:28 PM by Equito »

Offline Sparkie

Re: Need to snug exhaust nuts w/least work
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:44:35 PM »
Sorry I couln't help you but I've noticed the same issue when I checked those nuts. I think I tightened only the ones I could get to. They were all pretty tight anyway. Just curious what you did. Mark

Offline Equito

Re: Need to snug exhaust nuts w/least work
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 02:44:36 PM »
Sorry I couln't help you but I've noticed the same issue when I checked those nuts. I think I tightened only the ones I could get to. They were all pretty tight anyway. Just curious what you did. Mark

After opening the line of sight (removal of lower fairing and those air ducts), I used the 1/4" ratchet w/12mm socket to do the nuts on cyls 1 and 4, as they were fairly easy to get to.  I used the swivel on the long extension from the left (clutch handle side) to get to the upper nuts on cyls 2 & 3, then the ratchet/socket alone from the right side (throttle side) for the lower nuts on cyls 2 & 3 (very tight fit for smallish hand, and you have to use finger strength alone to extend the ratchet to the nut, then use only fingers to swing the ratchet, but recall that I was able to also apply fingers from left hand to the effort, as well).

I'd removed/replaced the exhaust after ceramic coating and it's common to have the nuts loosen up after a few heat/cool cycles, which is what happened, giving a slight exhaust leak when the motor was cold.