Author Topic: Headlight Modulators  (Read 7878 times)

Flathead

Headlight Modulators
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »
Looking to possibly install a headlight modulator... Looking for pro's and con's of a modulator and who uses which brand...

Kisan
Signal Dynamics https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2http://signaldynamics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=215&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77#reviews
Comagination http://www.comagination.com/modulator.htm (IIRC there were some bad reports on this on the old forum)

Thanks!

Bob

Re: Headlight Modulators
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »
 OK, here we go. I personally like headlight modulators and use them on my bikes. I see a big difference in people pulling in front of me when I do not use the headlight modulator. I've gone through this a a few bikes now. A lot of close calls and riding on  egg shells waiting for the next person that doesn't see me. Then I install the modulator and everything changes. Buy one and use it. You won't regret it.
 Now some people don't like them because they annoy people. I;m OK with that because I know they can see me. I see it as something I can live with!

I bought a Kiasn for my C14. Kisan makes a fairly expensive (a little more than the others) unit that is simple in design and installation. I works the first time and every time for me. I recommend it!
 I also have a Comagination vizipath. I sits on the shelf because it does not work. It never worked on my C14. But it passes the Comagination bench test. Comagination refused to replace it because it passes his bench test. SO I have a modulator that does not work that cost me about $100. The man had the nerve to tell me that I need help troubleshooting my stock C14's wiring to see whats wrong on my bike! The fix was simple. I bought another modulator and installed it on the bike in about five minutes. It worked the first time and every time without troubleshooting my bikes wiring! Buy the Kisan, you won't regret it!
 Just to to be fair though. I've had a comagination modulator on my Mean Streak for years now without a problem. But I would never buy another after IMO being ripped off for $100 for a unit that never worked on my bike. Comaginations customer service was absolutly terrible. Now again to be fair, I'm not the only person with stories like thins about Comagination.

Offline CigarSki®

• Arena
  • Newb again?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:34:30 PM »
+1 on the Kisan PathBlazer. I've been using the same unit for 5 years, installed on the forme,r and now, current bike.

Wayne Sikorski aka CigarSki
2010 ZG1400 - South Jersey
COG 9250

Flathead

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 02:52:35 PM »
OK, here we go..........
 I also have a Comagination vizipath. I sits on the shelf because it does not work. It never worked on my C14. But it passes the Comagination bench test. Comagination refused to replace it because it passes his bench test. SO I have a modulator that does not work that cost me about $100. The man had the nerve to tell me that I need help troubleshooting my stock C14's wiring to see whats wrong on my bike! The fix was simple. I bought another modulator and installed it on the bike in about five minutes. It worked the first time and every time without troubleshooting my bikes wiring! Buy the Kisan, you won't regret it!

Good news... The memory hasn't failed yet  ;)  Thanks for the refresher Bob!

Offline SparX

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:21:05 PM »
I too have the Kisan and it works well.  Plug and play installation took about 5 mins.  I use it when I ride alone, but not when I ride in groups, just to be a good neighbor.

-SparX
-SparX

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
Looking to possibly install a headlight modulator... Looking for pro's and con's of a modulator

You will get a wide variety of responses :)

They *do* work (to draw attention).  But they are also as annoying as hell to other people, especially if they are high-beam modulated instead of low beam.  Some cars also act irrationally/dangerously to them.  And yes, I have used one before and stopped using it after a few months.

The one I had was a Kisan.   Even though I stopped using it, it failed after several years on the bike in a way that prevented use of my high-beams at night and I had to rip it out.

What I wish I had were a xenon strobe inside the headlamp, along with the regular beams, that would simple flash once every few seconds.  It would be like a "shimmer", much more stealthy, far less annoying, and low-key but have a similar purpose as a modulator.  I don't know if that has ever been done or legal... it is just something I invented in my mind.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:12:49 AM »
Absolutely the very best single safety device upgrade you can do to any motorcycle!!  When you use upgraded bulbs...it even makes it more effective!

I have had one on every bike I have owned since 1996 and don't leave home without it!  I don't care if it aggravates other drivers...they aggravate me too...If they see me...maybe they won't pull out in front of me cause my high beams flashing in daylight gets their attention when compared to all other traffic on the road.

You set YOUR motorcycle out apart from every other motor vehicle on the road...they look at you to see what the hell is coming their way....don't even see the other cars.

Just do it...!!

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
+1 on the Kisan - and if you don't want it on, switch to low beam............ 10 minute install or uninstall.........

Flathead

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 02:31:20 PM »
Thanks for the input!! Ordering the Kisan tonight... Best price out there????

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »
Check out the Hyper Whites from Hyper Lights.  I have mine aimed in a cross pattern to get attention from either side, LED so they draw less juice, switch to modulate, constant on, or off.  Small, easily mounted, and effective.  Great to use if setting up camp in the evening.  I fudge a bit and keep them on in the evening, figure my lights are still on constant, all I have done is add conspicuity.  Over 2 years, passed many Staters, day and night, followed LEO, 2 and 4 wheeled, and never had an issue.  Fixing to get a set for my KLR.

Flathead

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »
Will give them a peek as well... Have the hyperlites on the back and love them...

Offline SparX

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
Dollarrider.com is reasonably priced for the Kisan at $144.95 (http://goo.gl/BwyKX).

-SparX
-SparX

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »
Will give them a peek as well... Have the hyperlites on the back and love them...
As an added benefit, I would rate their customer service right up there with Murph.  I had a coupla LEDs burn out on the whites-no questions, they mailed out a new light, the same on the rear.  The hyper lights have burned out half the bulbs 3 seperate times and the control module went out, Chris is thinking the OEM LED lights may be sending a tad bit of juice back to the module.  But, after well over 30,000 miles in many a monsoon I am totally happy with them, as a product and support.

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »
I seen bikes with the modulator- no doubt, the bikes are highly visible.  However, I do not know what it looks like from the rider's perspective, particularly at night???  Is it noticeable?  Perhaps bothersome after some time???
Just curious...thanks.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Flathead

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 04:32:41 PM »
I seen bikes with the modulator- no doubt, the bikes are highly visible.  However, I do not know what it looks like from the rider's perspective, particularly at night???  Is it noticeable?  Perhaps bothersome after some time???
Just curious...thanks.

The modulation portion only works in daylight... There is a sensor that shuts the modulation off at night.

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 08:38:31 AM »
I think I may have heard that before... I apologize- and thank you for the response.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 04:17:07 PM »
Check out the Hyper Whites from Hyper Lights.  I have mine aimed in a cross pattern to get attention from either side, LED so they draw less juice, switch to modulate, constant on, or off.  Small, easily mounted, and effective.  Great to use if setting up camp in the evening.  I fudge a bit and keep them on in the evening, figure my lights are still on constant, all I have done is add conspicuity.  Over 2 years, passed many Staters, day and night, followed LEO, 2 and 4 wheeled, and never had an issue.  Fixing to get a set for my KLR.

Hmm, that is a very interesting alternative.  Just checked out their site and I like it.  I wish something like that could be INSIDE the city lights.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline seanmcva

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 05:49:11 PM »
You will get a wide variety of responses :)

They *do* work (to draw attention).  But they are also as annoying as hell to other people, especially if they are high-beam modulated instead of low beam.  Some cars also act irrationally/dangerously to them.  And yes, I have used one before and stopped using it after a few months.

The one I had was a Kisan.   Even though I stopped using it, it failed after several years on the bike in a way that prevented use of my high-beams at night and I had to rip it out.

What I wish I had were a xenon strobe inside the headlamp, along with the regular beams, that would simple flash once every few seconds.  It would be like a "shimmer", much more stealthy, far less annoying, and low-key but have a similar purpose as a modulator.  I don't know if that has ever been done or legal... it is just something I invented in my mind.

I used them for several months, several years ago and have not looked back (much) after discontinuing their use. I agree that they make you stand out on the motorway, but they are obviously distracting and dangerous to some drivers. My worst case in point occurred while cruising at around 75 MPH on I-70: A woman drove ride up beside me and strted shouting and waving. After a lot of anxious straining to hear her, I realized she was yelling, "Your Headlight is flashing!!" I waved and she drove away. I couldn't help but fear that she would lose control of her giant SUV and crush me to death. I just can't getr my head around using one after that.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
Hmm, that is a very interesting alternative.  Just checked out their site and I like it.  I wish something like that could be INSIDE the city lights.

!!! OMG- take that comment I just made, add the previous comment I made about wishing to use a Xenon strobe somehow, instead of a modulator.... *DUH*  I already OWN a 12 volt, mini Xenon strobe bulb set!  I completely forgot about it.  I bought it maybe 10 years ago with the idea of using it on the bike and couldn't do what I wanted and threw it in a box.  The old bike simply had no place to mount the stuff where it was effective......

I took out the city lights, pushed the strobes in there, and then pushed the rubbery city lights back in.  IT WORKS!  I have it set for 1 flash per second, the same as you see used on school buses.  They are not terribly bright (could be twice that brightness), but it is somewhat effective.  I have already ordered MUCH brighter, yellow, LED, 194 bulbs to put in the city lights, I might combine this with it.  (Plus I ordered yellow LED's for the front turn signals and plan on reversing their operation with relays, so they are on full-time, except when flashing for turning).

Picture of unit attached...  very similar to http://www.amazon.com/STREETGLOW-ANHSV2RD-XENON-HEADLIGHT-STROBE/dp/B000GVNQ6S/ref=sr_1_18?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1308095342&sr=1-18

I tried to take a video of it, but even at 720P, the xenon flash is so instant, it is totally invisible on the video :)

Flathead

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »
!!! OMG- take that comment I just made, add the previous comment I made about wishing to use a Xenon strobe somehow, instead of a modulator.... *DUH*  I already OWN a 12 volt, mini Xenon strobe bulb set!  I completely forgot about it.  I bought it maybe 10 years ago with the idea of using it on the bike and couldn't do what I wanted and threw it in a box.  The old bike simply had no place to mount the stuff where it was effective......

I took out the city lights, pushed the strobes in there, and then pushed the rubbery city lights back in.  IT WORKS!  I have it set for 1 flash per second, the same as you see used on school buses.  They are not terribly bright (could be twice that brightness), but it is somewhat effective.  I have already ordered MUCH brighter, yellow, LED, 194 bulbs to put in the city lights, I might combine this with it.  (Plus I ordered yellow LED's for the front turn signals and plan on reversing their operation with relays, so they are on full-time, except when flashing for turning).

Picture of unit attached...  very similar to http://www.amazon.com/STREETGLOW-ANHSV2RD-XENON-HEADLIGHT-STROBE/dp/B000GVNQ6S/ref=sr_1_18?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1308095342&sr=1-18

I tried to take a video of it, but even at 720P, the xenon flash is so instant, it is totally invisible on the video :)

You might want to up the flash rate to ~4/second. The DOT regulation specifically states 240 cycles /minute ±40.
Additionally you should (must per reg) have a daylight sensor to kill it for night use...

Code: [Select]
UNITED STATES TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

CHAPTER V--NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION,
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

PART 571--FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS--Table of Contents

Subpart B--Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

Sec. 571.108 Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system.
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity, provided that:
    (a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 plus-minus 40 cycles per minute.
    (b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
    (c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
    (d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
    (e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
    (f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 deg. Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. The light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
    (g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9,the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
    (h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
    S7.9.4.2(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.
    (b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.