Author Topic: 2nd hand - how many miles is 'too many'?  (Read 12162 times)

Offline badv

2nd hand - how many miles is 'too many'?
« on: November 01, 2013, 05:50:06 PM »
Gentlemen,

Yup - I know, 'how long is a piece of string' sort of question. I've checked out the 'log' thread and see quite a few inmates have clocked up serious mileages!

Want a 2010+ one with all the electric wizardry, and my budget is throwing up options with 20-30k on the clock.

I've owned a bunch of Kawasakis and the engines are bombproof - my main concerns are:

- shaft drive (What's the pattern - 'faulty units fail early' / 'fail with age' / 'random'?)

- corrosion / rust / electronics inhaling moisture etc. In other words the quality of finish and weather sealing. Kawasaki are very hit & miss with this - some of mine melted in the rain, but my ZX12 had a better finish than BMWs)

I'm expecting to do about 20-30k on it in the next couple of years, and it will be ridden through the winter.

Experiences and advice is most appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:45:36 PM by badv »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 2nd hand - how many miles is 'too many'?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 07:33:24 PM »
I am hardly the one to answer questions of longevity based on personal experience, but I can say these based on the zillions of posts I have read on the forums:

1) There is no "too many" miles
2) Shaft drive failure on the Concours 14 is very rare
3) Seems to be one of the better "finishes" of Kawasaki's as far as paint and electronics and rust and such
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 08:21:39 PM »
+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 07:07:50 AM »
When I saw the title I thought you were looking at bikes with 75,000 miles and up.

I put almost 20,000 miles in my first year with the Concours.  Sure hope that is not 'too many' miles.  LOL!

I would say how many miles is too many, would be based on your own comfort level and the price.  Also, the maintenance records.

Also, how fast the miles are accumulated tells you whether they are probably highway miles vs. city streets.  Most of my miles were put on running 400 miles to the Gulf Coast for work.  Some interstate, but mostly state highways and byways.

Good Luck.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 07:37:03 AM »
My 6 year old, 112,000 mile C14 has no rust, corrosion or bad paint EXCEPT for small area of the fuel tank underneath the seat. This area collects and holds water when you wash the bike and rust will form there if you do not remove the seat and dry. I caught it early on and treated the rust with a rust cure product and  it is no longer a problem.

Other than that I have had zero problems. I haven't replaced anything but tires, headlight bulbs, brake pads and regular maintenance items. I am beggining to wonder just how long can a clutch last? I am confident enough in getting another 100,000 miles that I am investing 2500 in new suspension.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »
And whom would be installing it?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »
And whom would be installing it?
I have already installed an Ohlins on the back and  plan to send the forks to Traxxion Dynamics for new valves.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 10:05:43 AM »
Well, you have had some bad luck with things falling off, you know.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 06:08:20 PM »
Well, you have had some bad luck with things falling off, you know.
Yes, kind of ya to call it "bad luck",  more like slack a$$edness. But I have taken steps to correct those shortcomings. Registered with Lumosity and playing brain games several times a week to improve my memory, attention, focus and attention to detail.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
2010+ will have warranty or extended warranty available that would address most of your worries.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 06:50:20 PM »
My 2010 has 80,000 miles on it and its almost broken in. I'd trust it to go to the end of the world and back  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline badv

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 06:09:25 AM »
That's great guys, good to hear they are holding up well!

Looks like I will be returning to Kawasaki after all! Now, which colour is the fastest....   ;)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 06:33:18 AM »
No one and I mean no one on this forum has an opinion on that. :finger_fing11:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 06:33:45 AM »
I don't think that there's any new 08's left..

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 08:10:33 AM »
40,000+ on my 2010. No problems, starts and runs like new.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 08:33:03 AM »
As I said before, the reason I still buy Kawasakis is the fact that I can walk up to my 40 year old 903 Z-1, hit the button (or kick) and go. This was bought on my 20th birthday, and survived living at the redline blowing the side covers of all challengers for years. It was legendary among my peers and still is- to this day the engine and transmission cases have never been opened, and the clutch, dual point ignition, and Mikuni carbs have never been touched after 114,000 smilin' miles. The only maintenance I paid for was checking the valves every 20k.  I did destroy a lot of chains in the day, which is why I  bought a C-14 shafty. I paid $2,100. new and have been offered 6,000. recently, but I will never sell my memories. I fully expect this C-14 to go 300,000 with me on it god-willing.

Offline viper

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 08:43:43 AM »
if shaft drive failure is your main concern , then don't worry, you can easily pick up 2nd hand units of ebay for a few hundred bucks, usually off low mileage bikes .

the truth of the matter is that once these bikes get to 40k , their values drop off a cliff, which easily pays for a fair deal or 2nd parts further down the road !

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 05:34:53 PM »
I bought my 08 with 3k miles 2.5 years ago and I am getting ready to hit 75k on her.  This thing is ridden hard all the time with sport bikes and I never fail to have people ask me after a ride what the hell is a Concours?  That thing hauls ass!!  I am getting ready to do yet another track day this coming up weekend with it as well.  In this time the issues I have encountered have been very minor considering how I abuse it - Valve cover gasket leaking, Final drive leaking, windshield motor went out, front disc brake rotors warped, TPMS battery died.  All of these covered under warranty and I extended the warranty to 9 years for very little money so I have no worries just ride it like I stole it and smile the entire time. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
All of these covered under warranty

The warranty is always to good point to brag about on the Concours.  And for Kawasaki to offer a full warranty for 3 years AND the ability to extend it for 6 more years on top of that for less than $700.... they have to be offering a quality bike or they would lose their shirt.... and it is not like the Concours 14 is a new model anymore.

I believe that no other bike, of ANY brand, model, or type, has a warranty that can touch that of the Concours.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »
I have a 2009 with 22k on the clock. Just routine repairs and upkeep. 
I'm looking at a new blue 2013. I like the linked ABS as well as the updated
features of the bike,too.  ;D

In short, I would purchase another Connie without thinking to hard about it!
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL