Author Topic: Crap! It won't start?! HELP  (Read 12290 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Crap! It won't start?! HELP
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 04:36:19 AM »
Little update:
This morning before I searched/posted for help I called my local dealer. At this point I got not clue as to what's wrong. The service writer had no idea and asks the service manager who also had no idea. After seeing that this is a known issue am I being overly sceptical in thinking the dealer likely knew just what the problem was but saw dollar signs and so decided to withhold info? Seems it would have been smart to suggest the easy fix as not only as a solution but a diagnosis and then suggest the switch be replaced if the easy fix worked.

It's possible that the folks at your dealership knew what the issue was and just wanted to get into your wallet. It's also possible that they had no idea. Not all dealerships see enough C14s to know the ins and outs of them completely.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 04:53:31 AM »
on my 09, my dealer replaced the spring for the switch without it being broken and acting up at the time. had a previous issue though so i described that.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »
Wanna buy some videos J?    ;)

Should I be scared of what's on them vids C?  :-\ ??? ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 10:44:30 AM »
Ya might. In another thread he said he was alright with some other dude riding his girl.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »

:-X

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
Ya might. In another thread he said he was alright with some other dude riding his girl.

:-X

;D ;D ;D

Offline Slideways

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 12:55:13 PM »
It's possible that the folks at your dealership knew what the issue was and just wanted to get into your wallet. It's also possible that they had no idea. Not all dealerships see enough C14s to know the ins and outs of them completely.

SoCal dealer, been around for a long time and almost always has a Connie on the floor. Color me sceptical.  ::)

The best part is after help arrived here via Conrad I called the dealer back and told him what I'd discovered just in case another customer ever called in with the same issue. I can hear'em laughing at me now....
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 04:00:06 PM »
All you have to do is momentarily brake the contact on the grey wire and your good to go?
A momentary switch in series should do it, if I'm understanding this correctly?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 06:08:08 AM »
All you have to do is momentarily brake the contact on the grey wire and your good to go?
A momentary switch in series should do it, if I'm understanding this correctly?

You are understanding this correctly but most folks balk at cutting wires and adding switches. Brian's solution was much more elegant with no wires harmed in the process. 

Offline Gabriel

• Near Galveston
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 07:24:35 AM »
You are understanding this correctly but most folks balk at cutting wires and adding switches. Brian's solution was much more elegant with no wires harmed in the process.

Based on his product it looks like there is a connector block nearby, I have the pin tools and connectors to remove and install this type of terminal connector, no wires would be cut. I would personally use a momentary switch for marine application.
(Should it ever become necessary)

Thanks

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Conrad.

Yep, anyone can do what I am accomplishing with the bypass harness. Some people do not care to do it themselves or have the tools, etc., to cut into the wiring harness, and some do not like the idea of altering the bike's harness. But of course there is no magic there and so all of us can choose which way to go (purchase, do it yourself or ignore it completely). In fact I published the method to modify the harness way back in the olden' days so it is out in the public domain.

The only other thought I would add is that if the harness is modified to work around the stuck KiPass switch, and the KiPass switch does fail, I do not know if a dealer and / or Kawasaki would take any notice of the modification or not. My harness can be removed and the bike is completely stock in the event it needs a warranty repair.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Slideways

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2013, 11:13:02 PM »
Well Brian I decided to install one of your bypass harnesses. It arrived today. Here is what I think...

You call this an accessory?! I know accessories, I worked my way through college as a motorcycle wrench in the late sixties and early seventies in the era of things like universal fit sissy bars. Those were the days, accessories required fabrication, busted knuckles, broken tools and lots of cussing. I set aside a whole evening for the install of your bypass. I had a bottle of wine, tools, duct tape, Dremels and was determined to tolerate hours of frustration. I had the thing installed and tools put away before the wine was uncorked! And you call this an accessory...

Good one Brian. I did make it a little challenging, I only looked at the pictures but didn't read the instructions. Thanks!
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2013, 11:18:33 PM »
Well thanks, I think.  ;)

If you want to try one that is really easy (no tools required), grab the low fuel warning eliminator. I can just about put one in in the dark, without a flashlight.

If you want to ramp up the difficulty, try a Rostra install. There is your fabrication, nasty words, frustration and I don't think anyone can do it in a evening, certainly not the first time.

Brian

Well Brian I decided to install one of your bypass harnesses. It arrived today. Here is what I think...

You call this an accessory?! I know accessories, I worked my way through college as a motorcycle wrench in the late sixties and early seventies in the era of things like universal fit sissy bars. Those were the days, accessories required fabrication, busted knuckles, broken tools and lots of cussing. I set aside a whole evening for the install of your bypass. I had a bottle of wine, tools, duct tape, Dremels and was determined to tolerate hours of frustration. I had the thing installed and tools put away before the wine was uncorked! And you call this an accessory...

Good one Brian. I did make it a little challenging, I only looked at the pictures but didn't read the instructions. Thanks!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 04:28:48 AM »

There's your problem! Any adult beverage should be opened and partially consumed before any work starts.

Offline Slideways

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »
There's your problem! Any adult beverage should be opened and partially consumed before any work starts.

I have so much to learn before I can call myself a master mechanic.

You are welcome Brian. Sarcasm, how every back handed compliment starts.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »
I have so much to learn before I can call myself a master mechanic.

That's the spirit! You stick with us and we'll get you fixed up man!    :)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 08:44:37 AM »
Well thanks, I think.  ;)

If you want to try one that is really easy (no tools required), grab the low fuel warning eliminator. I can just about put one in in the dark, without a flashlight.

If you want to ramp up the difficulty, try a Rostra install. There is your fabrication, nasty words, frustration and I don't think anyone can do it in a evening, certainly not the first time.

Brian

Say what? How does it work and where do I get one???

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »
Say what? How does it work and where do I get one???
Look at Brian's signature  :)

http://www.incontrolne.com/incontrol_005.htm

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 09:13:16 AM »
Look at Brian's signature  :)

http://www.incontrolne.com/incontrol_005.htm

Thanks! I guess I need to pay more attention to the details such as a person's signature. $50 seems like a lot but eliminating one of the most dangerous aspects of this bike... priceless!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2013, 11:21:37 AM »

You're not gonna sell many videos if you keep giving the important info away for free.  :P