Author Topic: Crap! It won't start?! HELP  (Read 12289 times)

Offline Slideways

Crap! It won't start?! HELP
« on: July 09, 2013, 11:15:24 AM »
Has been running fine no hints of a problem. This morning press down the stove knob key and nothing. The dash does not come, on nothing. The red LED that flashes when the bike is off is still working, the battery has a full charge, the key fob battery is over 3 volts, the kill switch is in the 'run' position and the emergency-dead-fob procedure does not work. I'm stumped. Any help?
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline Conrad

Re: Crap! It won't start?! HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:36:02 AM »
If you're sure that the main battery and it's connections are good and you get nothing when pressing down on the stoveknob key with a good fob in range then it sure sounds like you have a stuck Kipass activation switch.

First try something easy. With the fob in range, press down on the stoveknob and let it snap back onto place by letting your finger slide off to the side. Do this a couple of times, maybe it'll jar the switch into operation.

If that doesn't do the trick then the next thing to try would be to unplug the gray connector under the black panel just to the left of the gas tank. If your Kipass switch is acting up then when you plug the gray connector back together you should see the same results as you do when you press down on the stoveknob, again, with the fob in range. See this thread for more info and what the gray connector looks like.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6976.msg82841#msg82841

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Slideways

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
Who da man?! CONRAD!!!  :chugbeer:

The activation switch was indeed stuck and the let-it-snap-back advice was perfect. Thank you so much!

2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »
I'm glad to hear that you got your bike started!  :)

You may want to purchase one of Brian's Kipass bypass harnesses from the link above, just in case...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:38:18 PM »
Too easy.  I prefer using a hammer.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »

Not everyone has a washed up 'rapper' at the ready Jim.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
SNAPPY COME BACK   ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »
Yeah, and it <might> just be that I can actually sell one now..... maybe.  ???  They are located here if you are interested (some wiseguy is going to ask where they are located if he is NOT interested, at least I would):

http://incontrolne.com/incontrol_005.htm

Brian

I'm glad to hear that you got your bike started!  :)

You may want to purchase one of Brian's Kipass bypass harnesses from the link above, just in case...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »

Approaching junior Twit status, I see...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Slideways

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 03:43:29 PM »

Read my signature and you will understand my feelings about hammers....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »
Approaching junior Twit status, I see...

I aim high but shoot low.    ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 04:34:11 PM »
Who da man?! CONRAD!!!  :chugbeer:

The activation switch was indeed stuck and the let-it-snap-back advice was perfect. Thank you so much!

To hell with Fred what's his name, we've got C!  ;D :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »

This is a well known problem with the gen 1 (which you have).  If you are still covered under extended warranty, you might be able to get them to replace the spring/etc in the ignition.  If not covered, it might be expensive, but the dealer can get a kit to fix the issue (and supposedly has improved parts like are used on the gen 2.)

It could be a fluke, but if it starts doing it, it is likely to increase in frequency over time...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 06:03:33 PM »
The problem is not limited to Gen. 1 bikes. It continues through 2012 models. Kawasaki has 'fixed' it twice now, once was to clean and de-burr the switch stem and the second and current 'fix' is a stronger return spring. The number of failures has declined but they are still happening, at least as late as 2012, a year from which I have happy customers. <grin and frown all at once here>

Until a positive return switch is used the problem can and will occur, even if it is reduced statistically. That is not much comfort to the person stuck with the switch that stuck though.

Brian

This is a well known problem with the gen 1 (which you have).  If you are still covered under extended warranty, you might be able to get them to replace the spring/etc in the ignition.  If not covered, it might be expensive, but the dealer can get a kit to fix the issue (and supposedly has improved parts like are used on the gen 2.)

It could be a fluke, but if it starts doing it, it is likely to increase in frequency over time...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 06:06:29 PM »
Nope- can't sell any yet. I have an ongoing problem with PayPal and the resolution so far has been impossible. Again, my apologies to those trying to buy one of these; I am pursuing a solution with as much pressure as can be brought to bear.

I will post on that monumental day when a transaction can actually be completed. Mr. Paypal is very fortunate that I do not know where he (she?) lives....

Brian

Yeah, and it <might> just be that I can actually sell one now..... maybe.  ???  They are located here if you are interested (some wiseguy is going to ask where they are located if he is NOT interested, at least I would):

http://incontrolne.com/incontrol_005.htm

Brian

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »
The problem is not limited to Gen. 1 bikes. It continues through 2012 models.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!  I thought it was actually/mostly fixed by gen 2.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mntbiker-junkie

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »
Brian-  Can you provide a quick overview of what you Kipass bypass does and how it works?  Assuming we still need to use the stove knob and fob.

Thanks

Offline Slideways

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 11:37:25 PM »
Little update:
This morning before I searched/posted for help I called my local dealer. At this point I got not clue as to what's wrong. The service writer had no idea and asks the service manager who also had no idea. After seeing that this is a known issue am I being overly sceptical in thinking the dealer likely knew just what the problem was but saw dollar signs and so decided to withhold info? Seems it would have been smart to suggest the easy fix as not only as a solution but a diagnosis and then suggest the switch be replaced if the easy fix worked.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 11:57:51 PM »
Yep, there is a pretty decent description here: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6976.msg82841#msg82841

And yes, you will still need both the stove knob key and a valid fob. This work- around only fixes a stuck activation key, it is not a general KiPass bypass. Then again, we really don't need to bypass all of KiPass, the only part that ever fails is the activation switch. This is a 100% work around and will absolutely cure a stuck activation switch.

Brian

Brian-  Can you provide a quick overview of what you Kipass bypass does and how it works?  Assuming we still need to use the stove knob and fob.

Thanks

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 04:34:31 AM »

To hell with Fred what's his name, we've got C!  ;D :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Wanna buy some videos J?    ;)