Author Topic: Tweaking the TPS  (Read 12113 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Tweaking the TPS
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 04:29:59 AM »
Oh yeah, how does that old quote go- 'If a thousand monkeys typed away at a thousand typewriters, we would end up with 492 variations of the Concours 14 manual' or something similar, right?

Brian

Are they Asian monkeys?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2012, 06:30:46 AM »
To be honest, I don't think we can ask the monkeys anything regarding their ethnicity, racial makeup, religion, color, creed, socio-economic status or anything similar. Further, the behavior of the monkeys cannot be questioned should we see something like two male monkeys holding hands or three female monkeys spending a lot of time at the water cooler talking about moving in together. And finally, even if we suspect one or a group of monkeys are members of some or other anti- American organization(s), we cannot single them out for any type of special treatment or observation. If we decide to search the monkeys, we must do it in a predetermined fashion and not vary from that specification; for example, every fourth monkey is patted down (yuck!) but numbers 2 and 3 must be left alone even if they seem to have something under their clothing.

We MAY react to very specific acts, words or phrases though; should a monkey use the words 'bomb' and 'airport', that monkey and any of his / her associates would be subject to additional, detailed scrutiny.

So no, you may not ask if they are Asian monkeys.

Brian

Are they Asian monkeys?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 06:32:44 AM »
 :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 06:37:35 AM »
Now we know who wrote the SOP manual for the TSA.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 07:05:34 AM »
Conrad must now visit our HR dept.  He has lots of esplainin to do.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 08:28:31 AM »
To be honest, I don't think we can ask the monkeys anything regarding their ethnicity, racial makeup, religion, color, creed, socio-economic status or anything similar. Further, the behavior of the monkeys cannot be questioned should we see something like two male monkeys holding hands or three female monkeys spending a lot of time at the water cooler talking about moving in together. And finally, even if we suspect one or a group of monkeys are members of some or other anti- American organization(s), we cannot single them out for any type of special treatment or observation. If we decide to search the monkeys, we must do it in a predetermined fashion and not vary from that specification; for example, every fourth monkey is patted down (yuck!) but numbers 2 and 3 must be left alone even if they seem to have something under their clothing.

We MAY react to very specific acts, words or phrases though; should a monkey use the words 'bomb' and 'airport', that monkey and any of his / her associates would be subject to additional, detailed scrutiny.

So no, you may not ask if they are Asian monkeys.

Brian

:rotflmao:

Conrad must now visit our HR dept.  He has lots of esplainin to do.

Oh the humanity! Even after I scored 100% on the Ethics test here at work.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TRBN

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »
This thread is where I dyno'ed my '08.  It has had some "tweaks" done to the TPS and the dyno rated it at ~150HP.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8978

Aaron

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 08:38:20 AM »
Are you talking about the subthrottle sensor?   I think it's adjusted via voltage measurements, isn't it?  There's big bold print in the manual that says don't muck with it as it has been precisely adjusted at the factory from the same nitwits that adjusted my headlights.  No good can come from DIY adjustment, methinks, unless you have the same equipment that Kwak had at the factory or it just comes pre-adjusted.

I think we had a thread where someone went to a dealership to get some work done and a well meaning tech 'tried' to adjust it and the bike got worse.  Voltage is .62 to 4.14vdc from closed to fully open.  Probably some magic and dancing that you should do when 'adjusting' this.

Sorry for the delay, I took a impromptu road trip (in a motel in Butte MT right now).  I am referring to the main throttle position sensor (as Brian said, thanks for clarifying everything Brian). 

For the record, the only reason someone should even consider adjusting the TPS is if their bike came from the factory with the hesitation / dead spot I described in the OP, or maybe if their bike has run hot from day 1 (not something that started later).

Also, any adjusting should be done in a very controlled fashion, meaning mark the original position of the sensor perpendicular to the adjustment direction, before doing anything (don't use the paint line the factory put on there), and only move it in measured increments.

As a follow up to mine, I can confirm the hesitation is gone, and the operating temps are back to where they were before I adjusted it.  I'm satisfied with the results.   :)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »
This has been a good discussion on that sensor.  Thanks for bringing it up.