Author Topic: weight loss program  (Read 3921 times)

Offline cugsy

weight loss program
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »
Not me - I should though. Seriously, as much as I like the bike its killing my back lifting it and moving it in and out of the garage. I was in 2 minds about selling it and getting something lighter. But, there are naked GTR's out there and it might be a consideration.
 I've had back problems for a good few years. Bike crashes and climbing accidents (plus some university pranks that were stupid...truly stupid) and knocking on 50 next year mean my old vertebrae are screaming when I put the bike on the centre stand. My old DR650 by comparison is like Ally McBeal.
 So, I'm thinking that next year after a good amount of touring this year it will be time to go nekkid! Any suggestions before I make a supreme mistake?  John
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline Stasch

Re: weight loss program
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »
While the C10 is undeniably hefty I have found that tires make a difference when moving them around. 

Wing sized tires add to the tippy / heavy feeling to these bikes because it makes them taller.  It doesn't take much to make a noticeable difference.

My comparison is a C10 with front and rear Wing sized Metzlers vs. a C10 with a sportier Shinko front and a oem sized Metzler rear.

I've also ridden a C10 with a C14 shock sans lowering link, (making the bike even higher than the wing size tired bike) and it seemed even more tippy / heavy.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »
Does the body make THAT much difference in weight?

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 06:29:06 PM »
Plastic can't be heavy enough to make a difference. Maybe ask ZG to weigh an extra set he has laying around.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »
Don't put gas in it. ;)
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

enim57

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:23:12 PM »
Very little can be done to remove any real weight, it's a heavy bugger of a bike spec'd at 258 - 265.5kg dry (model and country dependant).

I know the DR650 well and it's a great bike with many similar attributes to the GTR, and there's a hell of a difference in weight with it spec'd at 147kg dry.

Regards, Russell

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 03:19:27 AM »
I'd have a look at the Kwak Versys, or the Suz V Strom 650.   If Honda would import it's nre Transalp, Id look at that too.

The thumpers are nice around town, but I find they can be tiring for touring, but that's just me.
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline Conniestoga

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 08:23:49 AM »
Check out Honda's new NC700X. I scoffed at it until I saw and rode one. Now I really want one.

Eric
95 Concours
90 Tengai

Offline cugsy

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »
The DR is great for travel to work and local hooning but I wanted the shaftie for touring. I guess its a case of live with it....until I crash it! Then rebuild it - lighter,faster,stronger....da da da da...The Steve Armstrong Bike
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 03:05:12 PM »
Where does the Concours carry it's weight? Up high...

Where does an HD carry it's weight? Down low...

This is why a 5'2" lady can handle an HD and a grown man has issues with the Concours 3 or 4 hundred pounds lighter..

Ya can't remove enough weight on the Concours by lighting the mufflers etc to make a difference.

Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

enim57

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 07:42:08 PM »
Where does the Concours carry it's weight? Up high...

Where does an HD carry it's weight? Down low...

This is why a 5'2" lady can handle an HD and a grown man has issues with the Concours 3 or 4 hundred pounds lighter..

Ya can't remove enough weight on the Concours by lighting the mufflers etc to make a difference.
Spot on Tony.
I remember when the Gold Wing with spoke wheels first came out and everybody gasped at the weight of it (not heavy by todays standards). But it was so easy to pick up compared to the 750F1 and easier to maneuver due to the lower seat.

Regards, Russell

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »
Comparing a DR650 to a C10-- 2 wheels maybe and not much more.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle