Author Topic: MCEnterprise Guards - GOING, GOING........GONE! DONE! FINISHED!  (Read 86914 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: MCEnterprise Guards - GOING, GOING........GONE! DONE! FINISHED!
« Reply #240 on: March 26, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »
I have some 4x8 sheets of plywood in the garage. I'll drag one over to the bike after I get the MSE bars installed and use the ply to simulate a drop. I'll lay the long edge of the ply against the bike's tires where they contact the ground and then bring the ply up till it touches something on the bike. I'll snap some pics of what that something is.

The tricky part will be deciding exactly where to place the plywood on the tires.  A little change in angle there can make a BIG difference.  When the bike is over, where it touches the ground will be further up the tire than when it is standing upright....     but I bet you already thought about that ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #241 on: March 26, 2012, 03:54:10 PM »
The tricky part will be deciding exactly where to place the plywood on the tires.  A little change in angle there can make a BIG difference.  When the bike is over, where it touches the ground will be further up the tire than when it is standing upright....     but I bet you already thought about that ;)

Yep, I'll take that into consideration when I get some pics.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #242 on: March 26, 2012, 04:53:52 PM »
I'm pretty slow at getting around to doing things, but I'm damn good.

And yes, that's what SHE said.    8)

:rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #243 on: March 26, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »
Yep, I'll take that into consideration when I get some pics.

You know, I thought about it more while I was mindlessly pretending to exercise on the treadmill... I am not so sure the placement matters, afterall.

Hurry up!  I want me some pics now!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #244 on: March 26, 2012, 05:12:32 PM »
Don't hold your breath J! I'm pretty slow at getting around to doing things, but I'm damn good.

And yes, that's what SHE said.    8)
But did she say it with a straight face?

Offline 94gixxerod

« Reply #245 on: March 26, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »
I ordered my black powdercoated front and rear bars today at 3pm eastern time.  I was told they should ship tomorrow. I'll be ordering my custom toilet seat on Wednesday from Home Depot. Can't wait to see it all come together!

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #246 on: March 26, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »
Seems like a lot of work with the plywood to give us an idea of what we already know, the mce guards will work should the bike tip over.  Simply place a chunk of carpet  under the the guard where it touches the ground and voila an accurate pic.  Want better protection, take some rubber rad tubing and zap strap it around the portion of the guards that will contact the ground and again gently lay the bike over, it will be alright.  If you can't pick up the bike on your own, maybe you should not  ride! (Just kiddin').

D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:49:23 PM by Ddfee »
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline MrFurious

Re: MCEnterprise Guards - FYI For the 08-09 Guys
« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »
Well, I got bored and decided to head out and install my fronts this evening but ran into a snag...

If you have an 08-09 model and have installed the Rosta cruise control be prepared to figure out a new way to mount the brain box as the MCE bars bolt up in the exact same place.  Should still fit in the same place, it's just going to require bending/trimming the mounting bracket to put the box in just the right position as it's real tight in there now.  Have 4 bolts in that general area now with the bars to work with as a mounting point so there's plenty of room for some genuine redneck engineering.

Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2012, 04:47:47 AM »
But did she say it with a straight face?

Well, to tell you the truth, she was facing the other direction at the time and I couldn't see her face...    ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2012, 04:53:09 AM »
You know, I thought about it more while I was mindlessly pretending to exercise on the treadmill... I am not so sure the placement matters, afterall.

Hurry up!  I want me some pics now!!!

I was wondering what you were talking about when you said that, I was just humoring you.

I installed the rear bars last night, I didn't want to tempt fate myself by riding around with my drop protection sitting in the garage. 10 min job, even in my poorly lit garage. 

I didn't drag the plywood over to the bike though, I'll do that sometime soon.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #250 on: March 27, 2012, 04:58:07 AM »
Seems like a lot of work with the plywood to give us an idea of what we already know, the mce guards will work should the bike tip over.  Simply place a chunk of carpet  under the the guard where it touches the ground and voila an accurate pic.  Want better protection, take some rubber rad tubing and zap strap it around the portion of the guards that will contact the ground and again gently lay the bike over, it will be alright.  If you can't pick up the bike on your own, maybe you should not  ride! (Just kiddin').

D

D.

I'm thinking that dragging a sheet of plywood over to my bike will be a LOT easier than trying to slowly lay the bike down and then pick it back up again.

FYI, I can pick the bike up if need be. Sadly, I've had to do it twice.     :(

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2012, 05:22:21 AM »
Well, to tell you the truth, she was facing the other direction at the time and I couldn't see her face...    ;)
:chugbeer:

MGvalerio

« Reply #252 on: March 27, 2012, 05:44:17 AM »
D.

I'm thinking that dragging a sheet of plywood over to my bike will be a LOT easier than trying to slowly lay the bike down and then pick it back up again.

FYI, I can pick the bike up if need be. Sadly, I've had to do it twice.     :(

Avrai la soddisfazione di gettare la moto a terra ma non riuscirai a mettere la moto sul cavalletto centrale dal lato DX...ora capisco perché Conrad predisponi la concours 14 per fare come faccio io ... issare la moto sul cavalletto dal lato DX...paura che ti  cada AHAHAHAH.

You will have the satisfaction of throwing the bike on the ground but you will not put the bike on center stand from the DX side ... now I understand why the concours 14 Conrad Set remote to do as I do ... hoist the motorcycle on the RH side ... afraid I'll fall ahahahah.

MGvalerio. 8)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2012, 06:11:13 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »

Avrai la soddisfazione di gettare la moto a terra ma non riuscirai a mettere la moto sul cavalletto centrale dal lato DX...ora capisco perché Conrad predisponi la concours 14 per fare come faccio io ... issare la moto sul cavalletto dal lato DX...paura che ti  cada AHAHAHAH.

You will have the satisfaction of throwing the bike on the ground but you will not put the bike on center stand from the DX side ... now I understand why the concours 14 Conrad Set remote to do as I do ... hoist the motorcycle on the RH side ... afraid I'll fall ahahahah.

MGvalerio. 8)

Now now MG. I didn't want to embarrass you by showing that I can put my bike up on the center stand from the right side and then have you tell me that I still don't get to have your C14 as you promised.    ;)

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #255 on: March 27, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »
I would be interested in finding out what the final count and what was ordered from this buy. It would be nice to see what others chose.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #256 on: March 27, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »

;D       :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #257 on: March 27, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »
I installed the rear bars last night [...]I didn't drag the plywood over to the bike though, I'll do that sometime soon.

OMG, hurry up :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #258 on: March 27, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »
I would be interested in finding out what the final count and what was ordered from this buy. It would be nice to see what others chose.

When I talked to Ryan yesterday, I think he said it was something like 35 orders, which was much more than they expected, and a huge success.

Mine is already shipped and I have a tracking number showing arrival on Friday!

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #259 on: March 27, 2012, 06:06:45 PM »
Finally finished installing the fronts...man what a pain in the dink!  Installing the bars was easy-peazy, but relocating and making a workable new bracket for the Rosta CC box really sucked (especially when I had just installed the CC last week).  For those with an 08-09, here's a few hints/ideas/tips on how to remount the CC box if you're running one with these bars.

Mounting Point:

Since the MCE bars mount using the same engine brace bolt Murph's instructions have us use to mount the bracket for the Rosta control box, a new mounting location is needed.  The bend and shape of the bars simply won't let us retain this mounting point.  However, the bars do give us three new options via the three other bar bolts (lower 10mm engine bolt or the two 10mm bolts for the S-bar on the MCE bars).  Which one you choose will really depend on your fabrication skills and available tools. 

In my case I chose the outer S-bar bolt as my mounting point.

Mounting Bracket:

Depending on your selected mounting location, you may or may not be able to make the stock Rosta mounting bracket work.  Again, it will depend on your fab skills and available tools to get the job done.

In my application I modified the stock bracket.  The first order of business was to drill out the very first hole (closest to the mounting pad for the CC box) to 7/16" for the 10mm bolt.  Then I cut the bracket off just through the middle of the next hole and then rounded off the corners on the grinder.  Next is the fun part...bending the bracket so it will have a little more offset between the mounting bolt and the mounting pad so the box will clear the fairing.

You'll need to test-fit the bracket with the control box in position on the bike a few times to get the bends just right, but it's doable.  You'll also want to test fit the middle fairing over it to ensure clearance - this is the real frustrating part!

When finished the CC control box should be pretty close to the same position it was before the bars were installed and you shouldn't have to modify or re-route any wires to accommodate the changes.  Sorry for not having pic's but after 3 hours of trying to tweak the bracket just right with all the wrong tools taking pic's of the process or finished product was the last thing on my mind.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!