Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 726535 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2520 on: May 30, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »
Looney Tunes with Mel Blanc was the best..  Unfortunately quite a bit was cut out in the later years.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2521 on: May 30, 2017, 04:21:57 PM »
Ah Mel Blanc. One of a kind.

As the story goes...... when asked if the studio (Warner Bros.) could do anything for him after fifty years of service, and by this they apparently, really, meant anything, Mr. Blanc requested a "new" Edsel. Now this was in the '80's, a full thirty years after the Edsel had gone out of production. Never the less, either a mint- condition or restored Edsel was procured and given to Mr. Blanc at a party thrown by Warner Bros. on their studio lot. He got his Edsel.

He died at 81 yrs. of age and is interned in Hollywood Forever cemetery. Per his request, his headstone is marked  "That's all Folks". And in the scheme of all things, not a bad epitaph IMO and one we could all do well to remember and appreciate. His contribution to humanity may have been small (and maybe not so small after all), but I think he represents a significant piece of Americana, maybe more-so to non- Americans. And if somewhere, in a corner of the world, a person ignorant of virtually all things American, and perhaps with a bit of distance or even hatred of America / Americans, can identity the amusement conveyed by Mel Blanc in SPITE of his being American.... well that is not such a bad thing IMO.

Sorry for waxing philological but I really liked Mel Blanc and I think he has a special place, although perhaps not a big one, is spreading just a bit of American thinking and (dare I say it?) culture to the world.

Brian

Looney Tunes with Mel Blanc was the best..  Unfortunately quite a bit was cut out in the later years.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2522 on: May 30, 2017, 07:25:25 PM »
Ah Mel Blanc. One of a kind.

Sorry for waxing philological but I really liked Mel Blanc and I think he has a special place, although perhaps not a big one, is spreading just a bit of American thinking and (dare I say it?) culture to the world.

Brian
Mel Brooks expressed it better....

http://youtu.be/jg7LuaKduoA

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2523 on: May 31, 2017, 08:34:03 AM »
I never heard that Mel Blanc Edsel story before. Thanks for sharing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2524 on: May 31, 2017, 11:16:04 AM »
That's one nice looking car.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2525 on: May 31, 2017, 11:21:48 AM »
That's one nice looking car.

Yes I like the white '55 Chevy in the background too. At least I assume that's the one you're talking about, not the ugly Edsel.
Granted it is shiny.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2526 on: May 31, 2017, 11:23:31 AM »
Nope, I like the Edsel..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2527 on: May 31, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
That explains the buttugly Indian.  :rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2528 on: May 31, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »
Of course you know  :battle:

Offline O.C.

« Reply #2529 on: June 01, 2017, 01:33:42 AM »
That car reminds me of some model Studebaker of the same period
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2530 on: June 01, 2017, 04:45:14 AM »
Another excellent vehicle!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2531 on: June 01, 2017, 06:12:52 AM »
Gotta love fins!

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #2532 on: June 02, 2017, 06:24:15 AM »

I prefer these type of fins.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2533 on: June 02, 2017, 07:42:01 AM »
I'm rather partial to these types of fins myself.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2534 on: June 02, 2017, 08:27:18 AM »

What else needs to be said?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2535 on: June 02, 2017, 08:52:53 AM »
What else needs to be said?

Krispy Kreme vs Dunkin' Donuts?

Donut Thread!

..and just what are Hooligan's thoughts about Koeksisters?

(obviously, I have a cup of coffee, but alas no donut this morning.  :( )

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2536 on: June 02, 2017, 10:48:59 AM »
You forgot Voodoo and Psycho donuts.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2537 on: June 03, 2017, 12:03:58 AM »
You forgot Voodoo and Psycho donuts.

..or Spudnuts. I've only heard of these, never got to try them in their heyday.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2538 on: June 19, 2017, 09:58:31 AM »
I probably said this before but..... as an old man, I have a great dose of 'long arm disease' where I cannot focus on anything very close to my eyes. My long vision is good but I need minor corrective lenses to allow me to get closer to anything, such as close enough to a monitor to read it. That is not a problem really either but what is annoying is that it results is a short focal distance; 1.25 diopter lenses are good for perhaps 20" to about 14", any closer and I have to switch to either 1.5 or usually 2.0. That gets me from maybe 12" (Easy Boys!) to about 10" or 9" away at best. To look closer, such as when looking at a PC board, small parts of a firearm, etc., I need 3.0, and they work fine but only for about 2" of focusing range, which is fine for a single task but a few seconds later I end up backing up and needing a lesser power lens again. So normally for any type of changing task, I need 2 and sometimes 3 pair of glasses and have to keep  swapping them. A true PITA.

And now for the pet peeve: I do not wear glasses in the shower (duh), and find that while all the bottles in there have writing from top- to- bottom, the actual word or words saying what they ARE seem to be written in 6 point type. Sure, "Vanilla- Hickory" is gigantic and I can read that but who cares. What I want to (need to) know is WHAT IT IS! I wash my hair and sometimes it seems to get even less clean- yep, that was creme rinse instead of shampoo. Sometimes it gets clean, kinda' but burns..... drain opener. Sometimes it gets a little cleaner and is as fresh as a Summer's Eve.... that was..... well, never-mind. So, why not just put what the product actually IS in bigger, legible letters? I think it is a Soviet conspiracy to ruin the American economy by making us use far too many chemicals in the bathroom!

But I am still hoping it will stop deteriorating and get better. Yep, that's the ticket- it will get better.

Brian (wearing 1.25 diopter lenses so I can type this nonsense in the first place).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:36:50 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2539 on: June 19, 2017, 10:17:44 AM »
I probably said this before but..... as an old man, I have a great does of 'long arm disease' where I cannot focus on anything very close to my eyes. My long vision is good but I need minor corrective lenses to allow me to get closer to anything, such as close enough to a monitor to read it. That is not a problem really either but what is annoying is that it results is a short focal distance; 1.25 diopter lenses are good for perhaps 20" to about 14", any closer and I have to switch to either 1.5 or usually 2.0. That gets me from maybe 12" (Easy Boys!) to about 10" or 9" away at best. To look closer, such as when looking at a PC board, small parts of a firearm, etc., I need 3.0, and they work fine but only for about 2" of focusing range, which is fine for a single task but a few seconds later I end up backing up and needing a lesser power lens again. So normally for any type of changing task, I need 2 and sometimes 3 pair of glasses and have to keep  swapping them. A true PITA.

And now for the pet peeve: I do not wear glasses in the shower (duh), and find that while all the bottles in there have writing from top- to- bottom, the actual word or words saying what they ARE seem to be written in 6 point type. Sure, "Vanilla- Hickory" is gigantic and I can read that but who cares. What I want to (need to) know is WHAT IT IS! I wash my hair and sometimes it seems to get even less clean- yep, that was creme rinse instead of shampoo. Sometimes it gets clean, kinda' but burns..... drain opener. Sometimes it gets a little cleaner and is as fresh as a Summer's Eve.... that was..... well, never-mind. So, why not just put what the product actually IS in bigger, legible letters? I think it is a Soviet conspiracy to ruin the American economy by making us use far too many chemicals in the bathroom!

But I am still hoping it will stop deteriorating and get better. Yep, that's the ticket- it will get better.

Brian (wearing 1.25 diopter lenses so I can type this nonsense in the first place).

This has been bugging me for years. It is the second reason I prefer cheaper shampoo's such as Suave. Rhino's shampoo label postulate: Shampoo label point size (that is the actual word shampoo or conditioner) is inversely proportional to the cost of the shampoo or conditioner. But of course my wife makes all the shampoo buying decisions and as a result my bank account is smaller and I have no idea what I'm putting on my hair.