Author Topic: Are the C10 tires tubed?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline kzz1king

Are the C10 tires tubed?
« on: July 06, 2011, 07:11:56 PM »
Stupid question, but are the c10 rims tubeless? Pulled my tires and they have tubes currently. Thanks
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Re: Are the C10 tires tubed?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:15:12 PM »
Like any tire system, you can use tubes, but are not necessary. I am sure more will drop in, but it is probably a personal choice.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »
The bikes came from the factory with No tubes

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »
Thanks, I can't figure out why I put tubes in to start with. It must have came with tubes from previous owner and I followed suit I guess. I am going to go TUBELESS 8)

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
You can buy the tubeless rim valve stems at the local auto parts store but remember these (my 87 anyhow) are the small dia type.

I ended up using the oem metal with new rubber from some stems I bought at the parts store.  I liked the OEM better than what I had bought so I just used the new rubber. 

I did turn the rear 90 stem at a 45 degree angle but next time I'll leave it at a 90 angle to the rim because now every time I check pressure or add air I have to be careful the wheel doesn't turn on me from the pressure I apply to the valve stem.  The stem is still a 90 but I rotated it a little for better access.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »
If we're going to talk valve stems, I got the 85 degree stems from kurveygirl.  I point them both towards the right side of the bike for easy access when the bike's on the sidestand.

I just bought a second set for my recent tire replacement as a precaution against the seals getting old. (about 35k since I installed the stems)  But the ones I took off look quite good.  Cheap insurance, anyway.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:30:09 PM »
A few things have gone unmentioned. They don't seem to weigh much but a tube in a tubeless tire is unneccessary unsprung weight resulting in a rougher ride. Tubes in tubeless tires can overheat the tires. A warm tire grips better than a cold one (within the tire's operating temp range). A hot front  tire will get "greasy". Not literally but it will get slippery to the point of "washing out" resulting in a low-side crash. A tube adds thickness to a tubeless' supple sidewall and prevents the it from placing its tread on the road surface as designed.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 06:33:50 PM »
A few things have gone unmentioned. They don't seem to weigh much but a tube in a tubeless tire is unneccessary unsprung weight resulting in a rougher ride. Tubes in tubeless tires can overheat the tires. A warm tire grips better than a cold one (within the tire's operating temp range). A hot front  tire will get "greasy". Not literally but it will get slippery to the point of "washing out" resulting in a low-side crash. A tube adds thickness to a tubeless' supple sidewall and prevents the it from placing its tread on the road surface as designed.
So there,
Ride safe anyway, even you Elvin, you smarty pants.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:11:52 PM »
For what it's worth the rear tube weighs 2.6 pounds (without air 8)).
It would have been fun trying to use my plug kit on a tubed tire!
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1