Author Topic: Water in gas tank  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Water in gas tank
« on: March 19, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »
I know that when you empty the tank its hard to get that last half gallon out without a turkey baster, from my understanding that last quart or half gallon could be water, my question is if i fill the tank up two - three times a month will that keep that pocket free from water and keep it fresh with gas, i ride at least two to three times a week.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Re: Water in gas tank
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:05:11 AM »
I have been using the Red bottle of ISOHeat about every 4th tank of gas. Not the full bottle but about 1/3, since it treats 25 gal. per bottle. It will help clean the carbs and evap. any water you might have trapped in the tank. It has always done good for me, you might give it a try.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »
yep i already do that but some times it takes me a week or more to ride out that treated tank of gas and i hear it don't work very well if you don't ride it out soon as you add it.
i guess the alternative would be to ride at least 50-60 miles soon as i add isoheet.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »
We already know the problems alcohol causes, why add more to what is already there?
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:40:42 PM »
LOL yeah i seen you and MOB go back and forth on this but i have to say when i first bought my 86 conk over 4 years ago it had been sitting a little while and after adding ISOheet it ran much better but i did run threw the hole tank soon as i added it but i just cant do that every time so what would you suggest other then completely emptying the tank? maybe just add a little bit to a few gallons and run it? what other options are there? i add seafoam once in a while to but i don't think that gets rid of water.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:50:10 PM »
Once a year or so I'll pull the tank and tilt the rear of tank up, then tilt the tank so all remaining fuel runs to one side, then siphon from the low front corner, which for me is the right front corner.  Any water will be siphoned out first if you place the end of the hose in the lowest part of tank.  I use a small dia hose with a piece of wire inserted into the end of hose so I can direct the hose to the low spot.

I then examine what I've siphoned out to see if there was much water in it.  Haven't found much but then again I do store the bike in the garage full of fuel most of the time.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 06:10:02 AM »
There is a reason marinas sell alcohol free gas. And in aviation you won't see anyone even suggesting adding alcohol to fuel. There is a reason for that.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 01:23:11 PM »
There is a reason marinas sell alcohol free gas. And in aviation you won't see anyone even suggesting adding alcohol to fuel. There is a reason for that.

so, maybe you can find a nice boating or flying forum to be the resident expert on.
At least till you get the jist of the difference in the Ethanol  in the gas, vs. water vs. using the CORRECT alcohol to bind up water to exit/burn correctly, and get off this stupid "why add more alcohol" thing. :deadhorse:
do ya need directions to the Arena?  :'( or did you become bored with that? ;)

lemme buy ya a drink, after all, ain't ALL alcohol the same?\
http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/2organic/alcohols.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:22:49 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
so, maybe you can find a nice boating or flying forum to be the resident expert on.
At least till you get the jist of the difference in the Ethanol  in the gas, vs. water vs. using the CORRECT alcohol to bind up water to exit/burn correctly, and get off this stupid "why add more alcohol" thing. :deadhorse:
do need directions to the Arena?  :'( or did you become bored with that? ;)

lemme buy ya a drink, after all, ain't ALL alcohol the same?\
http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/2organic/alcohols.html
  I can raise a toast to that. :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 02:47:16 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Redstone_Launch_Vehicle

not aviation 8) ?

naw, nobody would even consider it....
http://k0lee.com/2007/08/can-ethanol-be-an-aviation-fuel/

Conni owners ain't the only cheap bastiches in the world......and home brewed planes are getting expensive to fly... ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:33:57 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 03:56:20 PM »
There is a huge difference in the (corn squeezing) ethanol alcohol that are added to our fuels as they tend to attract water into our tanks but not into suspension with the fuel to which the iso alcohols which are added to remove said water as these have the ability to bind with the water and allow it to pass.

BTW so tired of childish misguided arguments; please don't find yourself on the wrong end of a Mod...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »

Disclaimer:  I was only an A&P mechanic for 30 years, so my experience is somewhat limited.

Different alcohols for different purposes.  Up to 1% isopropyl alcohol can be added to AvGas (if approved by the airframe manufacturer) to help keep water in solution and flush it through the fuel system to prevent fuel line clogs due to frozen water in the lines, and the engines burn it just fine.  I believe that is what is in ISO-heat.  Different than ethanol.

http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1070Q.pdf

Here in the Pacific Northwest isopropyl a very common additive due to rain contamination from bad fuel cap seals and line attendants introducing water during fueling, as well as condensation, etc.  I do not know how to judge the isopropyl content adding to the ethanol content, that's for the chemical experts.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
Disclaimer:  I was only an A&P mechanic for 30 years, so my experience is somewhat limited.

Different alcohols for different purposes.  Up to 1% isopropyl alcohol can be added to AvGas (if approved by the airframe manufacturer) to help keep water in solution and flush it through the fuel system to prevent fuel line clogs due to frozen water in the lines, and the engines burn it just fine.  I believe that is what is in ISO-heat.  Different than ethanol.

http://www.lycoming.com/support/publications/service-instructions/pdfs/SI1070Q.pdf

Here in the Pacific Northwest isopropyl a very common additive due to rain contamination from bad fuel cap seals and line attendants introducing water during fueling, as well as condensation, etc.  I do not know how to judge the isopropyl content adding to the ethanol content, that's for the chemical experts.

Thank you Nosmo, you understand this all, and I have been preaching this for many years here.
I apreciate the assist, and note that when some folks drift out of their element (i.e. the Arena) and propose to "help" by making totally useless comments, this occurs. ;)

BTW so tired of childish misguided arguments; please don't find yourself on the wrong end of a Mod...

I trust this wasn't pointed towards me..... :stirpot: :rotflmao: :thumbs:

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »
sorry MOB but we have to send you there to make sure they don't escape again.

just kidding please don't take offense  :grouphug:

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 08:04:17 AM »
It says you CAN add UP TO 1% to fuel. Now, Connie has a 7 gallon tank and you already have 10% alcohol.  Sure, the suff binds with the water but how much more ya want? We just had the case where there was so much in the tank it formed a goo thet wouldn't burn. The bike wasn't right until the waterbalk goo was drained.
BTW the Redstone launch rocket is not a piston GASOLINE engine. Alk of any kind and gasoline don't mix well.
Either kind of alcohol is not good for gasoline. Why don't gas companies use isoheet if it's so great?
I've been civil here allowing you your opinions without being a jerk. Some of you accuse me of trying to be th "expert" while doing same. Others tell me to go back to the Arena while acting worse than some do there. Why don't you just tell me to leave the forum completely? It sounds like that's actually what you want. The thing to do here is remove the tank and drain it. It's a simple enough task.
Back to your tire, oil and gas threads.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 12:56:30 PM »
It says you CAN add UP TO 1% to fuel. Now, Connie has a 7 gallon tank and you already have 10% alcohol.  Sure, the suff binds with the water but how much more ya want? We just had the case where there was so much in the tank it formed a goo thet wouldn't burn. The bike wasn't right until the waterbalk goo was drained.
BTW the Redstone launch rocket is not a piston GASOLINE engine. Alk of any kind and gasoline don't mix well.
Either kind of alcohol is not good for gasoline. Why don't gas companies use isoheet if it's so great?
I've been civil here allowing you your opinions without being a jerk. Some of you accuse me of trying to be th "expert" while doing same. Others tell me to go back to the Arena while acting worse than some do there. Why don't you just tell me to leave the forum completely? It sounds like that's actually what you want. The thing to do here is remove the tank and drain it. It's a simple enough task.
Back to your tire, oil and gas threads.

you simply are'nt getting it are you?
you continued in the response you just made about  "Either kind of alcohol is not good for gasoline", and then quote me verbatum about the 1% thing...

well, there are 3 kinds of common alcohols used/available....Ethanol, (already in fuel, yes, @ 10%), Methanol....also used in the industry for fuel treatments, ANNNNNNNNNNNNd Isopropanol (2Propanol) (not to be confused with the diluted version in the bathroom cabinet),
which is the active ingredient of IsoHeet.... 

if you do the math, & I'm sure you can, take 7 gallons of fuel, and cipher out what percentage a 8-10 oz. dose of IsoHeet works out to.......
 pretty close to 1%

I rest my case. ;)

but I do agree draining the tank is the best way to remove MOST of the water, I still add the iso to burn what gets missed.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 05:27:16 AM »
My point is what the label says. Most folks from what I see don't add it to a full tank when they have a problem. Funny how you all ignore the guy who kept adding stuff until the stuff mixed with the water and formed a goo. Drain tank, add fresh gas, bike fine.
If you drain your tank and only get MOST of the water out, that's your own fault. Why don't you get it all out? If the stuff attracts water you don't want it in your gas tank. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I'm not the only one who isn't getting it.
Again, if isoheet is so great why isn't it in fuel already?

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 07:28:32 AM »
I would think that you wouldn't add it till you actually thought you had an issue that required it. If gas is good and they have added many cleaners to it already then why does adding 44K to the fuel actually do a better job of cleaning the engine? Why not just add 44K at the factory?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 07:57:09 AM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :thumbs: :goodpost:

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 10:17:11 AM »
Odd...why wasn't it a good post when I said the very same thing about Isoheet?
I guess when it destroys yer argument.