Author Topic: bottom of the fairing??????  (Read 14251 times)

Offline scubadoguk

bottom of the fairing??????
« on: September 15, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
I have the fairing off the bike C10 and somewhere it was suggested that the cross piece on the bottom be removed so the fairing can stay in situ when changing the oil?
poo poo occurs..British by birth American by choice

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: bottom of the fairing??????
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »
Remove the belly pan to change the oil yes... Remove the belly pan cross mounting member to change the oil no....

Many people have modded their belly pan so as to no longer need to remove it for oil changes; namely after installing a spin-on oil filter adapter....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »
thank you I had miss read the post then, and thought the whole cross piece on the plastic fairing should be removed... phew nearly had the dremel spinning up :)

enim57

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »
thank you I had miss read the post then, and thought the whole cross piece on the plastic fairing should be removed... phew nearly had the dremel spinning up :)
Yes I too have read that the rear plastic section that joins the sides of the belly pan has been cut out by some to aid oil draining. The metal bracket that bolts to the engine should not be removed.

Regards, Russell

Offline Summit670

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:40:30 PM »
I got the Bergman spin-on adapter many years ago and love it.  I trimmed the lower a little and can change oil and filter without removing any plastic and I don't have to deal with the messy cartridge filter assembly any more.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline scubadoguk

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 08:37:51 PM »
Yeah I am going to get the filter adapter soon too the hassle of removing and then putting back on all the tupperware is a PIA BUt it gave me a excuse to check out a few other issues but the advantage of a spin on filter seems clear

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:08:32 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:28:24 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Summit670

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 12:15:55 PM »
No need to cut hole for front drain plug because the fairing is open under there.  I did trim a little out for the rear plug, plus I cut a circular access for the filter rather than the more extensive trimming which was in the instructions.  1987 model.   

Some people don't bother draining the front plug because not much comes out anyhow.  It only adds a few minutes to the process so I have always drained from both plugs.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:28:31 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 03:37:31 PM »
I've had the Bergmen adapter on my Connie sine they first came out but I read someplace that they might be coming to the end of production so now would be the time to switch over.

http://www.bergmenengineering.com/Spin-On%20Oil%20Filter%20Adapter%20Kit.shtml

Bergmen

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
I modified my belly pan like this:

Then I removed it altogether:

That was close to six years ago and I never looked back.

Dan

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 06:38:35 AM »
I cut the complete cross piece of plastic off so it looks like the one in Dan's picture on the right.  I didn't cut its overall length though, just the cross piece.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Bergmen

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »
I've had the Bergmen adapter on my Connie sine they first came out but I read someplace that they might be coming to the end of production so now would be the time to switch over.

http://www.bergmenengineering.com/Spin-On%20Oil%20Filter%20Adapter%20Kit.shtml

There has been some talk between Murph and myself concerning sunsetting this product. This transpired after what appeared to be a case of market saturation that was showing up in orders slowing down over a period of several months. We talked about discontinuing since I didn't want Gary to get stuck with expensive inventory unsold on the shelf. When we posted this situation on a couple of forums (not this one) people started coming out of the woodwork and sales have been revived. There are no technical reasons for considering discontinuance.

So, who knows. We are watching this somewhat carefully because of the reason stated above. Gary is well stocked at this time so they are available.

Dan

Offline cugsy

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »
Just a quick aside chaps - Dan, I love that look. Wheres me spanners? I got to get rid of that fairing. Its ugly.
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline Mr Orange

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 07:39:02 PM »
When we posted this situation on a couple of forums (not this one) people started coming out of the woodwork and sales have been revived. There are no technical reasons for considering discontinuance.

So, who knows. We are watching this somewhat carefully because of the reason stated above. Gary is well stocked at this time so they are available.

Dan

A whole new set of owners were alerted to it's being out there who probably weren't out there at its introduction.

Different question, which front end did you swap in?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:32 PM »
A whole new set of owners were alerted to it's being out there who probably weren't out there at its introduction.

Different question, which front end did you swap in?

That's a ZRX1200 front end and motor too. I run a ZRX front end too and its da bomb...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 07:25:45 AM »
Where the heck do you guys find a whole ZRX front end? Do you buy a whole bike and strip it?
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 07:39:45 AM »
Where the heck do you guys find a whole ZRX front end? Do you buy a whole bike and strip it?

That's exactly what Dan did; he bought an entire bike in completely good shape as he wanted both the motor, carbs, ignition system and front end. He then sold off the resulting carcass. As I recall he caught a lot of grief for it over on the ZRXOA forum.

Me I bought an entire front end from one member of the OA except for a couple bits and pieces...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline cugsy

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »
I don't suppose that the front end bolted straight on ...did it? As if? Lots of jiggling and swearing?
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »
I don't suppose that the front end bolted straight on ...did it? As if? Lots of jiggling and swearing?

Actually it is as close to a bolt-on operation as you can expect to find as the steering bearings are the same size as well as the same stack height. The only thing that requires some custom work is the upper triple tree as it was designed to hold its own gauges and thus must be cut off and the key switch/steering lock need a little work too. I did everything with nothing more than a hacksaw, files and drill. But keep in mind we are using an entire complete front end including the  17" wheel, brakes, fenders etc....
Tony P. Crochet