Author Topic: New Guy with Q's  (Read 9318 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: New Guy with Q's
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 12:29:10 PM »
[TPS]  when the battery dies in these you need new ones?  how long do they last?

Why are people thinking there are batteries in the TPS?  I don't know either way, but I find that hard to believe for a number of reasons:

1) It is not typical for TPS systems.
2) It is a VERY unfriendly place to have a battery.
3) If there were a battery, there would be no need for the bike to have to be MOVING before it will give a pressure reading, which is does.  Typically, it is the spinning that generates the power needed to power up the transmitter.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »
Why are people thinking there are batteries in the TPS?  I don't know either way, but I find that hard to believe for a number of reasons:

1) It is not typical for TPS systems.
2) It is a VERY unfriendly place to have a battery.
3) If there were a battery, there would be no need for the bike to have to be MOVING before it will give a pressure reading, which is does.  Typically, it is the spinning that generates the power needed to power up the transmitter.

A picture (or several) is worth a thousand words.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tiresensor
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »
A picture (or several) is worth a thousand words.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tiresensor

Thanks.  I guess that puts THAT to rest :)

I guess it would be a good idea to replace the battery any time it is time for a new tire? (Unless you burn through a lot of tires!)  Looks like it uses the motion sensor/switch so it will go into low-power mode when not active to conserve the battery.  So that is why we have to wait until we are moving, and away from the driveway/garage where the air pump is, in order to know if we need air or not.

Interesting that the chip specs say the battery should last "10 years in standard application".  Hmmm...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »
Wouldn't replacing the sensors with regular valve stems just cause the system to issue the Low Battery warning every time you took off on the bike and require the two-button tango to reset it, or at the very least cause the TPS idiot light to be on all the time?

Nope.  If the TPS isn't transmitting, then the system just ignores it and displays "--" for tire pressure.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 07:10:45 PM »
Actually if neither TPS transmits, the display goes away, you can't cycle to it at all.

Murph is now replacing batteries in the TPS www.murphskits.com
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »
That I could live with that and it would be easily doable the first time I need new tires. 
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 09:38:16 PM »
I got my 2011 almost 3 weeks ago now.   I went back and forth b/w a 2008 left-over ABS the local dealer was trying to get rid of.   He said his bottom line was $9600 (not OTD).   After reading some things on the web (good thing there isn't ever anything incorrect on the web) for my personally, the 2011 was what I thought was the better option.   I have since added $1500 in aftermarket goodies and looking back, I maybe should have gone with the 2008 and stuck the money difference in aftermarket goodies.   I do really like the ECO mode, and the heated grips. 
I am consistently getting 45-47 ave MPH per tank using mostly the ECO mode and not twisting the throttle too hard as I am still "breaking in" the Connie.
Good luck.  I think you will be happy with either option as you will probably end up customizing it to your liking anyways.