Author Topic: How many Fobs  (Read 18584 times)

Offline wendel

How many Fobs
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
When I bought the 08 C14 I got two Fobs. I thought it changed to one Fob and something the size of a credit card. I only got one yesterday and dealer did not know of the smaller credit card sized one. I know this is a disaster waiting to happen to me. Anyone got any information I could use?
2012 C14

Offline mike-s4

Re: How many Fobs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:25:28 AM »
Your 2012 should have 1 regular fob and 1 credit card fob.  Have your dealer call Kawasaki.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »
+1

Go here, http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-details-features.aspx?autoplay=false&id=573&scid=25

Scroll down a bit till you see the Advanced KIPASS tab, click it. See what it says? Show your dealer.

• Each Concours 14 comes with one key fob (kept in a pocket) and a small card-type key for emergency/backup use
• The card-type key includes an immobilizer function (but no remote activation) and is highly portable, measuring just 1.2 x 1.6 x 0.25 inch
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:22:52 PM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »
I got one fob and a credit card-type with my 2011.

I am going to tailgate on this thread  ;D

The card-type key includes an immobilizer function (but no remote activation) and is highly portable, measuring just 1.2 x 1.6 x 0.25 inch.

Does anybody know how the immobilizer function works? Is there a battery in the credit card-type key that needs replaced?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »

The card-type key includes an immobilizer function (but no remote activation) and is highly portable, measuring just 1.2 x 1.6 x 0.25 inch.

Does anybody know how the immobilizer function works? Is there a battery in the credit card-type key that needs replaced?

The CC fob needs no battery. It doesn't work remotely, you have to place it against the boss above the bike key to make it do it's thing. The full sized fobs work remotely from ~5', if the fob battery goes dead it'll work like the CC fob.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »

No battery. Works exactly like the regular FOB when the battery dies. With the correct orientation you touch to the small extrusion to the front of the stove knob. This allows you to start and drive the bike. It will also allow you to program a new FOB in case you lose yours. One advantage of the credit card FOB is that you can hide it on the bike and it will not allow someone to start the bike. You can obviously do that with a regular FOB by removing the battery but this is smaller and easier to hide.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:27:52 PM »
you have to place it against the boss above the bike key to make it do it's thing.

I am curious is to how setting it against the boss works though.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 12:29:30 PM »
All C-14 come with two fobs and always have. Gen 1 (08, 09) bikes came with two full- function fobs. Gen 2 (2010 and later) come with one full- function fob and one 'credit card' fob. The credit card fob will only work if held against the ignition switch housing but it does fulfill the role of a second fob in the event the first is lost or damaged. As you correctly point out, having one fob is risky because should that fob get lost or damaged, the only to correct the situation is to purchase a new KiPass ECU; that comes with two fobs but it is pretty pricey at something like $700. So the moral of the story is that everyone who owns a C-14 should maintain two working fobs even if the bike only came with one (purchased used)- that person should purchase another and have the bike programmed to recognize that new fob.

Your new bike came with two fobs too but the dealer may have lost one, or perhaps it is in the bike somewhere and the dealer does not know it. In the event the second fob really is lost, the dealer should order and program another one to go with your bike and unless it was specifically stated that the bike was sold with only one fob, they should provide that fob at no cost to you IMO.

Brian

When I bought the 08 C14 I got two Fobs. I thought it changed to one Fob and something the size of a credit card. I only got one yesterday and dealer did not know of the smaller credit card sized one. I know this is a disaster waiting to happen to me. Anyone got any information I could use?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:31:42 PM »
I am curious is to how setting it against the boss works though.

There's a coded RFID chip inside the fob. When you hold it in just the right place the bike's sensor detects it and tells the bike that it's ok to allow the stove knob key to be pressed down and start the bike.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »
That is something of a miss- statement: fobs do not contain an immobilizer function, that is in the bike. The fobs simply allow an override of the immobilizer function.

The way the credit card works is that the ignition switch housing interrogates the card and if the card has the proper code, it unlocks the bike. The thicker fob is different in that it can actually produce radio waves and communicate with the bike from several feet away. The credit card fob has to be close to that housing to work- something like less than one inch away. The credit card fob is less expensive to purchase and that is why Kawasaki started using them on later models.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:34:20 PM »
And here I was going to say it was magic...I've got to be quicker.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
How many fobs.... would a dead rodent chuck if a dead rodent could chuck fobs?

Easier to say than the original- I predict it catches on and becomes the new "How many...." saying before the year is out.

Kirby
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
If it were your fobs, possibly two?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 12:36:51 PM »
Chuck Fob, I used to party with that dude!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 12:37:55 PM »
I am not sure if that is really right Jim. You know when you are really quick and your wife says it is still magic? She is not telling the truth.... Striving to be quicker should not really be your goal.

;D ;D

Brian

And here I was going to say it was magic...I've got to be quicker.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 12:40:13 PM »
Just make sure if you do chuck a fob it doesn't land in someone's drink. It won't hurt the fob of course (KiPass is infallible.... mostly) but it puts the person with the drink off for some reason. The good news is that it does tend to clean the collected lint out of the seams of the fob....

Brian

Chuck Fob, I used to party with that dude!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
I am not sure if that is really right Jim. You know when you are really quick and your wife says it is still magic? She is not telling the truth.... Striving to be quicker should not really be your goal.

;D ;D

Brian
But, my back hurts after 2 hours :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 12:46:09 PM »
Just make sure if you do chuck a fob it doesn't land in someone's drink. It won't hurt the fob of course (KiPass is infallible.... mostly) but it puts the person with the drink off for some reason. The good news is that it does tend to clean the collected lint out of the seams of the fob....

Brian

Understandable, one never knows where someone else's fob has been...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »
But, my back hurts after 2 hours :o

I thought that your back hurts before you even get started?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
I thought that your back hurts before you even get started?
Mind over matter ;D