Author Topic: TPMS options?  (Read 16997 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: TPMS options?
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 06:05:44 PM »
Anybody know what the shelf life of these batteries are?

Lithium-  Very very long.  10+ years

The TPS design is incredibly stupid and designed to be wasteful.  They SHOULD be changeable and there is really no good reason why they tried to make the TPS "disposable" except as a money grab.

The batteries are less than $2 each and with proper design, should be replaced every time the tires are removed which would cost almost nothing in parts and labor and save a great deal of annoyance and expense both to the customer and Kawasaki.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »
Lithium-  Very very long.  10+ years

The TPS design is incredibly stupid and designed to be wasteful.  They SHOULD be changeable and there is really no good reason why they tried to make the TPS "disposable" except as a money grab.

The batteries are less than $2 each and with proper design, should be replaced every time the tires are removed which would cost almost nothing in parts and labor and save a great deal of annoyance and expense both to the customer and Kawasaki.

Good to know, thanks. I expect to be soldering in new batteries this weekend. Shouldn't take too long. Wont even have to balance. Just going mark the tire location on the rims well and remount in the same place.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 09:56:31 AM »
Both of my tire pressure sensors died this summer, but I have new tires, so I don't want to go to the dealer to dismount them and don't have the equipment to do it myself.

Is it possible to use C clamps to squeeze the tire enough to remove the sensors so that I can replace the batteries?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »
Both of my tire pressure sensors died this summer, but I have new tires, so I don't want to go to the dealer to dismount them and don't have the equipment to do it myself.

Is it possible to use C clamps to squeeze the tire enough to remove the sensors so that I can replace the batteries?

Good question. When I do mine this weekend I'll have a look using my bead breaker. In fact maybe breaking the bead only on one side, push in with clamp or breaker may do it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 10:39:50 AM »
Good question. When I do mine this weekend I'll have a look using my bead breaker. In fact maybe breaking the bead only on one side, push in with clamp or breaker may do it.

My dealer's tech told me that this is the way they do it, just break the bead on one side.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 12:54:01 PM »
My dealer's tech told me that this is the way they do it, just break the bead on one side.

Excellent! I have a tire machine but that will still save some time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 04:17:30 PM »
Excellent! I have a tire machine but that will still save some time.

Well, most of us don't have a machine either.  Would be interesting if this could be done without removing the wheel (while on the bike).  That sounds difficult, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »
Just turn the dumb thing off.  I struggled with batteries, warnings, and the dealer on this.  Longer term, they are simply not worth the cost and hassle.  I have a $3 tire gauge that works well.   ;)

Ride safe...
Dave

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »
I can't speak for others, but I consider the TPMS and ABS on my bike the most valuable safety items. Each one has saved my sorry ass at least once in the 30,000 miles I have ridden so far. I use the TPMS as my default screen and glance at it often as I had a rapid deflation in the HOV lane earlier this year in heavy LA traffic, and had just enough time to slow down before the tire went completely flat. The ABS is awesome with PR3's in rain- I now appreciate how much technology has changed since I started riding 43 years ago.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 04:36:13 AM »
Just turn the dumb thing off.  I struggled with batteries, warnings, and the dealer on this.  Longer term, they are simply not worth the cost and hassle.  I have a $3 tire gauge that works well.   ;)

Ride safe...
Dave

I disagree, it's definitely worth the cost and it's pretty damn hard to get that $3 tire gauge on the valve stem when you're going down the road at 70 mph.

I can't speak for others, but I consider the TPMS and ABS on my bike the most valuable safety items. Each one has saved my sorry ass at least once in the 30,000 miles I have ridden so far. I use the TPMS as my default screen and glance at it often as I had a rapid deflation in the HOV lane earlier this year in heavy LA traffic, and had just enough time to slow down before the tire went completely flat. The ABS is awesome with PR3's in rain- I now appreciate how much technology has changed since I started riding 43 years ago.

+1
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 05:54:52 AM »
I disagree, it's definitely worth the cost

I also disagree and think it is a major safety and convenience item.  I just think it could have been implemented much better.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 07:59:35 AM »
Twice I've had TPMS warn me of a flat. I wouldn't say it saved me because I've had many of flats on other bikes without any drama. That said, I still think it's a pretty nice safety option and since the bike already has it I will definitely keep it working. Mine is now 3 1/2 years old and if it means I change the batteries every 3 years or so, no problem.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »
it's pretty damn hard to get that $3 tire gauge on the valve stem when you're going down the road at 70 mph.

;D :thumbs: :goodpost:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 12:10:12 PM »

Finally got around to replacing the battery in my front tire. It's easy to remove the sensor using a bead breaker only breaking the bead on one side.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 01:44:05 PM »
Finally got around to replacing the battery in my front tire. It's easy to remove the sensor using a bead breaker only breaking the bead on one side.

But you still had to take the whole wheel off :(

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 01:56:33 PM »
Excellent- now to move that process to the bike.... Thanks for posting the photo, now we know it can be done.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »
But you still had to take the whole wheel off :(

Yep

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »
I also disagree and think it is a major safety and convenience item.  I just think it could have been implemented much better.

To each their own.  You folks are very welcome to your opinion, but I have ridden more than 110K on various bikes in the last 10 years, including 15K on this bike (it has 27K now) without TPMS and NEVER had an issue.  This system is poorly designed and a waste of money and time.  I guess I don't mind bending over every so often and checking the tire pressure myself.

Just my opinion, but you really should check your tire pressure manually anyways.  More than once I found my system was significantly off.  Heat, cold, and low batteries all create issues with this system, and make it hard to rely on.

Ride safe ...  8)
Dave

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »
For a motorcycle, this is a serious safety item, especially one as heavy and fast as a C-14. This is not a lightweight dirt bike that can be handled somewhat safely with a tire that is quickly leaking air-I have had prior personal experience. With the cruising speeds I do, I keep the screen on the TPMS as a default setting. Also, I do check manually, and the readings are always matching or within a pound of a high quality manual gauge I keep in the storage bin. I will maintain this system as long as possible for my well being and peace of mind when riding this beast of a bike.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »
To each their own.  You folks are very welcome to your opinion, but I have ridden more than 110K on various bikes in the last 10 years, including 15K on this bike (it has 27K now) without TPMS and NEVER had an issue. 

I have driven more than 100K in various cars in 25 years without a backup camera and never had an issue.  But I have had one now for four years and it is great.