Author Topic: Holy smokes...poor gas mileage?  (Read 14989 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Holy smokes
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 04:43:43 AM »
I must be just mildly insane. I average 36. Actually feel good about it. My truck gets 12.

I'm with you on the insane part and the average of ~36. I don't know what trucks y'all are driving but my BFT with a Duramax w/Allison transmission gets 12 while pulling a 4 ton 5th wheel! ~20 without.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Holy smokes...poor gas mileage?
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 04:57:02 AM »
94 dodge 3/4 v10

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 05:27:49 AM »
I knew it!!!!! Maxtog is the Scooter Guy!!!  :rotflmao:

the Scooter Guy?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 05:51:49 AM »
the Scooter Guy?
You know the scooter guy.

And I know you had to weld on a extra large launcher.  :rotflmao:

Offline clogan

Re: Holy smokes
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2013, 09:16:54 AM »
I'm with you on the insane part and the average of ~36. I don't know what trucks y'all are driving but my BFT with a Duramax w/Allison transmission gets 12 while pulling a 4 ton 5th wheel! ~20 without.

My F-150 Roushcharged Screw gets 14 mpg if I drive carefully...and it requires premium. $100 to fill when it's empty. Getting 30-31 mpg on my Connie makes me feel like I'm saving gas. Of course, the Connie can't tow or haul very much. But it sure is fun. My old Hayabusa was faster, ran on regular, and got considerably better mpg, but it had no bags, and not much of a shield.

The Connie is the best all-around bike I've ever had. (Got my first bike in 1970)
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
You know the scooter guy.

No, not really

And I know you had to weld on a extra large launcher.  :rotflmao:

It is electric.....  photo attached (yes, it is plugged in).  Only large things on it are the two batteries.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2013, 04:28:56 PM »
ATGATT Max?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
I'm sure Max is well prepared no matter what the situation.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
ATGATT Max?

Well, I will admit I do NTGNTT  (None of the gear and none of the time) on the scooter.  I probably should at least wear a bicycle helmet, but I can literally just jump off it- max speed on a level surface is maybe 15MPH.

I have been scooting to/from work for many years... have only fallen once- and the culprit was/is well known to us two-wheelers:  sand.   I was turning in a tight radius and didn't see a patch of sand deposited by the street cleaner during the day.  I went down instantly.  Completely unhurt, though.

Offline Highett

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2013, 12:49:28 AM »
Wow, I've never kept a spreadsheet of a ride. What do you do for a living?

Hi gPink,

I work in the field, my job role is a safety adviser.

I love riding, particularly long distance riding.

I don't collect ride data for rides around home, I do on my long rides.

Its good to know the cost before you go but more importantly in our regional areas because of the distance between and opening times of service stations having accurate data on fuel usage is important in planing your route and whether you need to carry fuel and how much.

I always base my trip planning on worst case scenario with regards to fuel usage.

Sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere because  of a best guess is foolishness.

Cheers

Paul

Offline pistole

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
- everyone has his own style.

- motorcycling (imho) is about freedom and the bend to bend excitement infused with fear (and sometimes sheer terror) when we ride faster than we really should.

- as for spreadsheets for fuel and mileage , if i start doing that , I will probably stop riding.

- and maybe go play golf or something.

Offline Highett

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2013, 02:24:51 AM »
- motorcycling (imho) is about freedom and the bend to bend excitement infused with fear (and sometimes sheer terror) when we ride faster than we really should.
- as for spreadsheets for fuel and mileage , if i start doing that , I will probably stop riding.
- and maybe go play golf or something..

Your right everyone has their own style, their own way.

I still just go for unplanned rides, day trips and such just the same as everyone else does, however I do enjoy the pre  planning for a long ride, then putting the plan into action with a successful out come.

The post ride analysis is sort of like re living the ride, putting all the photos together and sorting the stats etc.

That's what I like to do for long rides.

Cheers

Paul

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2013, 07:05:51 AM »

- and maybe go play golf or something.

Amen.......
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2013, 09:38:41 AM »
I get the most joy out of long distance rides when I do the least or even zero planning. Take a week or 2 off, the morning of the first day pull out a map and go "let's try this road...". Don't have any idea where I'm going to stop until I get thirsty in the afternoon. Pull out the map, look for a reasonable town go there and find a motel stumbling distance from some brew pub or other watering hole. I'm almost always with other bikes with less range then my C14 so completely don't care about gas mileage.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 05:39:06 PM »
I get the most joy out of long distance rides when I do the least or even zero planning. Take a week or 2 off, the morning of the first day pull out a map and go "let's try this road...". Don't have any idea where I'm going to stop until I get thirsty in the afternoon. Pull out the map, look for a reasonable town go there and find a motel stumbling distance from some brew pub or other watering hole. I'm almost always with other bikes with less range then my C14 so completely don't care about gas mileage.

We would get along well on a trip.  :chugbeer:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »

We would get along well on a trip.  :chugbeer:
+2

Gumby...Pokey and now Rhino  ;D We will be legends.  :chugbeer:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »
+2

Gumby...Pokey and now Rhino  ;D We will be legends.  :chugbeer:

Can I come too?  :-\ 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2013, 04:20:23 AM »
You can provide the color commentary.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2013, 10:09:07 AM »
You can provide the color commentary.

;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:35 AM »

Can I come too?  :-\

Well ok then, lets go! On or about June 29 my brothers and my son and I plan to go north from Colorado Springs for a week or so. No idea where we will end up.