Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 727682 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2240 on: December 31, 2015, 11:27:24 AM »
Exactly- Dell saw the problem (or was slammed up against the head by it repeatedly, it makes no difference) and fixed it IMO and in my recent experience. I have absolutely no problem with tech. support (or sales or any other dept.) of a company being located in India or wherever else they choose but it is absolutely required that I can communicate with whoever answers the phone. My recent experience has been good to very good- some of the people I spoke to were fluent, had excellent enunciation and relatively minor accents in colloquial US English. Some were not quite as good and I had to ask them to repeat themselves but again, only 2 or 3 times for the entire call so I consider that very good.

We are all odd people as consumers: we demand the lowest possible prices but at the same time, want and expect the best possible product and service. As those two things are just not possible at the same time, I think Dell has done a good job of addressing both issues. And I paid for three years of premium support so I actually spent a few shekels for the phone support I have received and I am still satisfied.

Brian

Possibly Dell has been listening to customer complaints on their customer service.  I have one corporate client that got so frustrated with them (Indian support) that he threatened to throw out all their Dell equipment unless he got someone to talk to over here.  They listened.  He doesn't have Indian CS anymore.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2241 on: January 01, 2016, 05:13:46 AM »
We've turned the corner on the New Year. (Not much different than the old year, but I digress.)

Just curious about what you intend to accomplish this year, on and off the bike.

As for me, sale of a house in north-central Missouri is high on the list -- this house has been on the market since April with only a couple of showings. We've dropped the price considerably, but evidently not enough to move it. After that, the challenge will be to figure out how we can move the rest of the contents of a 4400 sf house into a 1400 sf rental house. Something tells me that selling stuff (never an easy thing to do) or incurring storage expenses are in our future.  :P
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2242 on: January 01, 2016, 12:38:38 PM »
Just bought a huge liquor cabinet!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2243 on: January 01, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »
Just bought a huge liquor cabinet!

Now all you have to do is buy the liquor. Right?

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20633.0
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2244 on: January 01, 2016, 01:06:32 PM »
I'm a thinking not....  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2245 on: January 01, 2016, 01:10:31 PM »
I'm a thinking not....  ;)

Ah, but an empty liquor cabinet is ... rather ...

forlorn...

:o
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2246 on: January 01, 2016, 01:23:25 PM »
Well, they are delivering it this afternoon and shortly after they leave it will be full.  I've got 'full' bottles all over the house.  It's going to be nice to have them in one place with locks on the door.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2247 on: January 01, 2016, 01:30:11 PM »
Well, they are delivering it this afternoon and shortly after they leave it will be full.  I've got 'full' bottles all over the house.  It's going to be nice to have them in one place with locks on the door.

Locks on the door? Protecting those bottles from whom? lol
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2248 on: January 01, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »
The grandkids.  Not that they've exhibited any tendency to pilfer but if the temptation is at least partly removed, I think it will help overall.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2249 on: January 01, 2016, 02:06:27 PM »
The grandkids.  Not that they've exhibited any tendency to pilfer but if the temptation is at least partly removed, I think it will help overall.

:thumbs:
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #2250 on: January 01, 2016, 05:48:53 PM »
We've turned the corner on the New Year. (Not much different than the old year, but I digress.)

Just curious about what you intend to accomplish this year, on and off the bike.

As for me, sale of a house in north-central Missouri is high on the list -- this house has been on the market since April with only a couple of showings. We've dropped the price considerably, but evidently not enough to move it. After that, the challenge will be to figure out how we can move the rest of the contents of a 4400 sf house into a 1400 sf rental house. Something tells me that selling stuff (never an easy thing to do) or incurring storage expenses are in our future.  :P

I just moved, and it became obvious that downsizing was needed. In other words, I learned I'm a lil bit of a hoarder. Maybe more than a lil bit. I dunno what the traffic passing your place is like, but my downsizing method might work for you: Involved setting up a plywood and sawhorse table out by the road, with a big FREE sign stuck in the ground ... and day by day I'd re-load the table with more 'stuff' ... and every bit of that crap was hauled away. Actually quite entertaining to watch it play out. Also liberating.

Oh, I actually had to screw the plywood to the fence and to the sawhorse, cuz my 'customers' were trying to take that, too. I walked out to add more stuff to the table and found a little kid trying to pull the sawhorse over to his lazy mama's car. Finally had to close shop and bring the plywood & 'horse back to the house when I found gashes in the plywood and sawhorses from somebody trying to pry it apart. I guess screwing it all firmly together was not an obvious enough indication that the free stuff did not include those items. We had pretty much run out of treasures to give away anyway.

Now that I think about it, kinda surprised nobody took my FREE sign. I guess scavengers have their limitations.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2251 on: January 01, 2016, 06:14:05 PM »
I just moved, and it became obvious that downsizing was needed. In other words, I learned I'm a lil bit of a hoarder. Maybe more than a lil bit. I dunno what the traffic passing your place is like, but my downsizing method might work for you: Involved setting up a plywood and sawhorse table out by the road, with a big FREE sign stuck in the ground ... and day by day I'd re-load the table with more 'stuff' ... and every bit of that crap was hauled away. Actually quite entertaining to watch it play out. Also liberating.

Oh, I actually had to screw the plywood to the fence and to the sawhorse, cuz my 'customers' were trying to take that, too. I walked out to add more stuff to the table and found a little kid trying to pull the sawhorse over to his lazy mama's car. Finally had to close shop and bring the plywood & 'horse back to the house when I found gashes in the plywood and sawhorses from somebody trying to pry it apart. I guess screwing it all firmly together was not an obvious enough indication that the free stuff did not include those items. We had pretty much run out of treasures to give away anyway.

Now that I think about it, kinda surprised nobody took my FREE sign. I guess scavengers have their limitations.

It's a quarter-mile gravel road, ergo not much traffic. And since we've already moved, there isn't a lot of time to hang around and babysit stuff. Actually, we've already purged that junk we all seem to hoard, so everything that is left we want to keep. The company is obligated to reimburse us for packout, so it's a matter of finding a place to store this stuff until we make our final move.
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2252 on: January 02, 2016, 05:23:17 PM »
Wow, I was just thinking about joining this religion WHEN SUDDENLY: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/01/01/georgia-pastafarian-will-have-to-retake-drivers-license-photo-without-the-colander-on-his-head/

Now, I do not live in Georgia so I am not sure if this is of any relevance to me at all or not. ?? And Pastfarism was already my second choice, right behind Kirbyism (the strong inclination toward the desiccated.....).

So many choices..... so little time.

Brian
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:09:16 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2253 on: January 02, 2016, 06:04:01 PM »
Is the pastafarian a disciple of the flying spaghetti monster?

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #2254 on: January 02, 2016, 07:52:21 PM »
Is the pastafarian a disciple of the flying spaghetti monster?

:thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2255 on: January 03, 2016, 07:03:01 AM »
Wow, I was just thinking about joining this religion WHEN SUDDENLY: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/01/01/georgia-pastafarian-will-have-to-retake-drivers-license-photo-without-the-colander-on-his-head/

Now, I do not live in Georgia so I am not sure if this is of any relevance to me at all or not. ?? And Pastfarism was already my second choice, right behind Kirbyism (the strong inclination toward the desiccated.....).

So many choices..... so little time.

Brian

I see the issue. He should have had some cooked (al dente of course) pasta in the colander before placing it on his head.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2256 on: January 06, 2016, 04:53:36 AM »
NP Brent!   :)

I just purchased the one year warranty renewal for $151. I'll call in to tech support tomorrow (it takes 24 hours to process the renewal) and get the ball rolling on the MB replacement.

Two Dell (subcontracted) techs came by yesterday with a new motherboard. My PC is back up and running just fine.    :)

I'm actually shocked that Dell would let me renew the warranty on a broken PC.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2257 on: January 06, 2016, 06:21:35 AM »
Two Dell (subcontracted) techs came by yesterday with a new motherboard. My PC is back up and running just fine.    :)

I'm actually shocked that Dell would let me renew the warranty on a broken PC.

Why not? We renew contracts with broken politicians for years on end...
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2258 on: January 06, 2016, 06:36:55 AM »
Why not? We renew contracts with broken politicians for years on end...
:)
They're not broken...that would assume they were once alright.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2259 on: January 06, 2016, 06:43:47 AM »
For something a bit different... Further proof we, as a species, are DOOMED.
Headline from Drudge early this morning... http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/05/vaginal-speaker-foetuses-babypod-music