Author Topic: WTB 4 into 1 exhaust, maybe late model forks & brakes  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Chrome Megaphone

WTB 4 into 1 exhaust, maybe late model forks & brakes
« on: August 23, 2020, 08:38:32 AM »
I'm putting the bike on a weight loss program.  There will be no lower fairing if that matters on fitment.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: WTB 4 into 1 exhaust, maybe late model forks & brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 01:15:04 PM »
money pit time;
there are no 4 into 1 headers for this bike, and the ones that may adapt / fit, are no longer made, and if you go aftermarket for old ZX Ninja ones.. big $$$$.

Late model forks, will require late model front wheel,axle, speedo drive, brake calipers,rotors, spacers, and fender...again, major cost for an old bike.. just informing you that many of us have been over this for like 17 years.. or even longer.. and caution you...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 03:44:49 PM »
Aw shucks dad

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 03:55:15 PM »
If your looking for calipers, front and rear, I have those from a '95 C10. 
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 03:58:03 PM »
money pit time;
there are no 4 into 1 headers for this bike, and the ones that may adapt / fit, are no longer made, and if you go aftermarket for old ZX Ninja ones.. big $$$$.

Late model forks, will require late model front wheel,axle, speedo drive, brake calipers,rotors, spacers, and fender...again, major cost for an old bike.. just informing you that many of us have been over this for like 17 years.. or even longer.. and caution you...

Explain to me the financial wisdom of purchasing a C14 or any Japanese bike off the showroom and having it depreciate 60-80% in 10 years.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 03:59:27 PM »
If your looking for calipers, front and rear, I have those from a '95 C10.
I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 12:15:37 AM »
Explain to me the financial wisdom of purchasing a C14 or any Japanese bike off the showroom and having it depreciate 60-80% in 10 years.

There ain't none.  What's wisdom got to do with it?
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 06:38:04 AM »
I believe Ted Adcock & Jim Snyder made up 4-1 pipes for their bikes.  Steve Sefsik also did, or experimented with the idea on Shoodabeen.  Forgive my spelling, guys :)  Check into Ontario or Contario...might have been the header manufacturer.  But that was a start, lots of mods to be done to make it work right and not sure if any of them ever DID work to complete satisfaction.  Consensus seemed to be- lots of work, minimal gains.

As for the late-model forks, there are threads here or on the COG forum.  That's been done before and not all THAT big a pain.  ZRX forks, and had to grind down a steering lock or something. Search is your friend.  I hadn't done those mods and just skimmed the threads with a passing curiosity.  There are (were) brackets to mount larger calipers, or you can use whatever fits on your newer forks.  That should be an upgrade in and of itself. After the new forks you can go Mean Streak rear wheel and get into some better tire choices.  Good luck, the info is out there and I hope you have fun along the way.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 08:54:23 AM »
the Ontario 4x1 headers were for a ZX model, I have a brand new set in a box, from 18 years ago.. unused.
They are no longer in business.. sorry..
Jim worked up a welded assembly cutting the Ontario's and adapting them to the OEM head pipe sections.. was alot of work, and he found no benefit, we hsd conversations way beck then about it.. Ted made a cobbled up setup, by blocking off the left side at the end of the crossover pipe.. so everything went out the right side.. not really beneficial to performance, Steve tried a setup also.. and passed on it..
The Ontarios would work, but not with the lower full fairing and a slight mod to oil cooler mounting.. even with no fairing, like on my COGZilla bike, a slight cooler mod is needed...

as for the question about buying a new C14 off the showroom floor....?
No brainer.. but the first year bike, as the second COG member to own one.. still have it...and it's not a loss.. also, I setup a great extended warranty thru a dealer,that offered 2 additional extensions which with the OEM plan, fully covered the bike for 9 years.. and I never worried..
Yeah, I bought a $500 C10, in P.O.S. shape, and dumped almost $4k into making it cool.. whats it worth? probably $1k..  but it's a lot of work.. and you will NEVER get paid for the effort.

so, please don't be condescending when people here try to warn you of the issues in dumping big $ into an ancient, but great model bike... have a great day, and best of luck on your build.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
Little more info on MOB's post; {NOTE: our memory of what was built is a bit different.}
The Ontario 4x1 headers were for a ZX model, I have a brand new set in a box, from 18 years ago.. unused.
They are no longer in business.. sorry..
I also have a set of the Ontatrio's {and a Delkevic muffler}.
 They "might" be for sale.

Jim worked up a welded assembly cutting the Ontario's and adapting them to the OEM head pipe sections.. was a lot of work, and he found no benefit, we had conversations way beck then about it..
Jim's design {OEM head pipes and Ontario lowers} worked the best of all the design's I've seen, was dyno proven by Steve, smoother power on the low end, some {but not a lot} of increased power throughout the power band, Delkevic Muffler on the right side, worked well with Steve's Torque cams.
Overall; Was the "easiest/most successful" way to build a set of 4 into 1's that I have seen.
Center stand was removed.
We recently talked about this; Jim might be open to building a set for someone...

Ted made a cobbled up setup, by blocking off the left side at the end of the crossover pipe.. so everything went out the right side.. not really beneficial to performance.
As he sed; I cobbled together a setup; "Huge amount of work. {do not attempt this build!}".
The "only" original parts used were the head pipe flanges, and "Y" pipes, {everything else was hand built}, Modified muffler {with variable restrictor} was on the "left" side, head pipes were too big so reversion cones were installed to gain torque.
Overall; "gained" some peak power but lost low end, worked with Center Stand and Steve's Power cams.
NOTE: These headers are currently on Sport Rider's Nekked Connie.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=23873.msg307274#msg307274

Steve tried a setup also.. and passed on it..
Steve built multiple sets of headers. Some may still be on other Connies in the club.
Like me, he didn't see much advantage on his builds and went back to stock.

The Ontarios would work, but not with the lower full fairing and a slight mod to oil cooler mounting.. even with no fairing, like on my COGZilla bike, a slight cooler mod is needed...
Radiator and Oil cooler MUST be moved forwards.
Another member recently did this type of install using a set of ZX-1000 headers.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 10:18:21 AM »
thanks Ted,
you corroborate this well enough to explain the foibles.. :D

I really didn't discuss much with Jim between or after he had Bubba Dyno it, so never really figured it was miraculous..

He (Jim) was kind enough to send me a pretty nice older Yoshimura single Muffler for use if I decided to toss the Ontarios on COGZilla.. never got around to it after buying the C14, but still plan to someday.. along with all the other part i hoarded..
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :chugbeer:

(I guess hanging out for decade(s) and being part of the "good 'ol Boy's Club" did have merits...)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 07:33:53 PM »
I think you should do the build...
You'd like his Contario header.

I have the parts to build one too, but (being me) I want to make it a left muffler set up.
"And that would get into a lot of cuttin' and modifyin'..."

Ride safe, Ted