Author Topic: Fuel Starvation when tank 1 bar or lower  (Read 10390 times)

Offline tjhess74

Re: Fuel Starvation when tank 1 bar or lower
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
I had this problem as well and replacing the fuel filter did not cure it.  I found the actual fuel pump motor on ebay for $25 and replaced it. She's run just fine ever since!

I tore apart the old motor (which was NOT easy) and saw quite a bit of wear inside.  I run my tank from full to nearly empty each week, so I wonder if the extra heat from a mostly empty tank took a toll on the motor? I dunno, but it's cheap enough to fix every 7 years if that's the case because I'm not stopping to get gas every other day.
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 07:33:19 AM »
Running a vehicle to near empty with an internal fuel pump is not a good idea.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 07:35:58 AM »
The whole idea of putting an electrical device in an explosive container is a bit out there.....

That's what they do in the desert...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 07:37:26 AM »
Running a vehicle to near empty with an internal fuel pump is not a good idea.

My best friend (a master mechanic) has told me that over and over, for many years.  The theory being that heavy contaminates would sink and collect at the very bottom, accumulating over time.  Often I wondered if it would make sense to somehow vacuum out or flush out the fuel tank every several years.... something much more possible/practical on a motorcycle compared to a car.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 07:43:11 AM »
The whole idea of putting an electrical device in an explosive container is a bit out there.....

Indeed.  I remember many years ago when I first learned about the practice of the pump being INSIDE the tank with the gasoline and it certainly sounds insane.  Gasoline is not flammable in its liquid state- it must be a vapor (and then it is VERY VERY flammable).  But there are vapors in that tank too!

The engineers must know what they are doing, though, since it is very rare you see/hear about a gas tank explosion/meltdown.  It does happen, but most of the time it is not the actual tank or pump- it is a leak, allowing fuel to escape, vaporize, and touch something very hot.  [Cue the videos of people causing their bikes to burst in flames by filling them improperly, and often while it is running!]
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tjhess74

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 02:49:15 PM »
My best friend (a master mechanic) has told me that over and over, for many years.  The theory being that heavy contaminates would sink and collect at the very bottom, accumulating over time.  Often I wondered if it would make sense to somehow vacuum out or flush out the fuel tank every several years.... something much more possible/practical on a motorcycle compared to a car.

Not running your tank low has nothing to do with contaminants.  The pickup is from near the bottom anyway, plus filling up the tank will stir up any debris that is in the tank, thus allowing it to enter to fuel pump assembly.  Regardless, that is what the filter is for.  No one should have much debris in their tanks if you're using decent gasoline and keeping your fuel cap closed.

What Virginia Jim was referring to was the extra wear on the pump motor by being run on a low tank.  While I'm no scientist, the pump doesn't shed heat as well in a small volume of fuel as it does in a higher volume.  That adds strain to the motor via some magical principles of thermal transfer.  While I'm aware of this, it's still not enough to keep me from doing so.  I'll stop for gas every four days on my commutes, not every other day.  Just ain't happnin'. $25 for a new pump motor and an hours worth of my time to replace it every 7 years is worth it for me to not have to stop for gas so often. It's got a 5.8 gallon tank, and I use almost every ounce of it regularly.
'08 C14 Steve's Flash Rocks!!!

The 'other' forum evicted me!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 03:13:16 PM »
You're right.  It's not that bad to replace...unlike a car or truck.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.