Author Topic: Dyno racing!  (Read 5765 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Dyno racing!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 07:07:46 AM »
Who won ?

Who or which?  Hmmm...   Me and neither.  Oh, and 42

That would be Chris Jones, Chiefland Fl. Chris is a world champion engine builder / tuner, he built the zx14 Ricky Gadson set the world record on. He's had so many 500 +hp pulls on that dyno I think all the friction is worn out of it!  The blue trace is from my dyno which had very little use before I bought it, and the electronics were just refurbed by Dynojet less than a month before that run. Steve

My race mechanic friend asked me to ask which dyno brand the other was (I described the thread when I ate dinner with him and his wife last night; a kind of weekly tradition now since they moved 30 miles away).  He says Dynojet sometimes reads a little high, but they work very hard to make sure every one of their [non-tampered] dynos gives consistent readings from one to another.

Of course, I suspect your two runs were not done back-to-back, which means weather conditions and elevation could have been different (I think most dynos try to adjust for at least temp and elevation).  But just as importantly, the bike would also have to be in the same warm-up temp, and oil/fluids/gas/tire pressure and condition would have to be identical, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
both dyno's were dj150's.

The correction factor is an issue, well in that it could also not be as correct as possible... it was hot when the bike was on chris' dyno, and the cf was 1.06 SAE. weather conditions were perfect on my dyno, SAE 1.00 cf.

In both cases bikes were warmed up. I have played around with that on my dyno, cold to hot rarely gives more than a couple hp difference.

I suspect, and will try to prove / disprove that there is a default in the ECU to knock power down with timing and or fuel when the bike is warm and the ambient temps are high. I'm not going to explain now, but I have seen many dyno runs from many dynos for the c-14... look around, you'll see runs the peak at 7800 rpm, and others that continue to gain til 8800 or so. Heck I've seen my own bike do that on the same dyno, but that was on Chris' and I hadn't really put all the pieces together about what might be going on.

steve

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 09:17:45 PM »
    That would be Chris Jones, Chiefland Fl. Chris is a world champion engine builder / tuner, he built the zx14 Ricky Gadson set the world record on. He's had so many 500 +hp pulls on that dyno I think all the friction is worn out of it!  The blue trace is from my dyno which had very little use before I bought it, and the electronics were just refurbed by Dynojet less than a month before that run. Steve

Chiefland? That's all of 30 miles from my house.

Can't figure out how I've never heard of Chris.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 05:49:48 AM »
Chiefland? That's all of 30 miles from my house.

Can't figure out how I've never heard of Chris.

Yeah, and I'm moving there. been trying to get property up around there for years, finally bought last year. And yes, google up Chris... he's a very bright guy, i enjoy the time I spend with him. In the beginning before he know me and I told him I would be tuning the c-14, he had all kinds of admonitions... now he speaks with me as a peer, though I know we aren't - he has piles of turbo experience,and mine has been limited to N/A. Steve

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 05:42:32 PM »
Well, we will await the collaboration between you two on a C14 turbo kit :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »
  Yeah, and I'm moving there. been trying to get property up around there for years, finally bought last year. ...

Moving close to the Suwannee?

I'm not sure what else might attract somebody to Chiefland.