Author Topic: Was Backed into...  (Read 2446 times)

Offline buzzcut

Was Backed into...
« on: October 18, 2012, 07:55:48 AM »
Hi all,  My 86 was backed into while parked.  blew apart my fender and bent the kickstand to a Harley style.  My question is, since insurance wants to put new stuff on, and a 1986 fender is not available from Kawi, does the 94 and up fender bolt on directly?

thanks

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Was Backed into...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 08:29:36 AM »
Get a check from them and fix it yourself.

A fender can be painted pretty close to exact with a spray can from Color rite.  Used kickstands can be found - I have one.  Do check your foot pegs and mounting brackets on both sides from ground impact and car impact.  Make sure the fairing isn't cracked by the turn signals (classic location) or around the headlight.  Make sure the fairing frame isn't bent either.  These commonly crack and bend when the bike is knocked over.  Has a bike shop looked at it to verify things, or was it just an adjuster?  If hard cases were on, check the antlers for cracks too.  There's probably more stuff to check too.

I may have a silver fender in OK shape also.

Frank

Edit:  As far as know, the later model fender will not directly bolt up.  The forks are cast differently I think.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:02:20 AM »
Wow, thanks for the quick response.  I wondered since the forks were different.

The bike did not actually fall over.  It is at a dealership now and they are checking things over.  Will keep things mind about the fender though.  appreciate it.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »
You can't put a '94 and new fender on a '93 and older bike.

You CAN put a '93 and older fender on a '94 and newer bike if you have the '94 and newer fender bracket / 'brace' and are willing to drill some holes in the bracket to mount the earlier style fender with.

Fenders are listed for '86 at both Bike Bandit and Kawi OEM parts fiche's but they are $235 plus shipping.

Might be an option if someone else's insurance is in play, or if you had phys. damage coverage and the deductible doesn't eat into it too bad.

Search Ebay Motorcycle Parts section with:  'Kawasaki Concours Front Fender'

There's 3 on there right now from $50 - $70 Buy It Now pricing.

2 are for your year but would need some touchup and paint - 1 looks real nice from a '92 and would need to be painted.  Add some color matched paint - $25 ?? and you could be good to go.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »
Thanks Stasch

Been checking various sources in case the dealership does not dig too deeply:)  They called me 1 hour ago and said they had found a fender that was silverdammit so we shall see when it arrives.  If I heard him right he got it off ebay.... so not sure how much repair work might be needed.