Author Topic: More flying saddlebags  (Read 16126 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: More flying saddlebags
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »
Thanks. Ill give that a try tonight. But I think mine are pretty secure. Did Kawasaki make any changes to the bags for 2010??

As far as we're aware, no.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 10:31:41 AM »
If my unprotected bags make it from Tampa to Maine next month, I'm going to post a pic with lobster shells all over them. And maybe a pic of my KiPass defeating the mad lobsters =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
If my unprotected bags make it from Tampa to Maine next month, I'm going to post a pic with lobster shells all over them. And maybe a pic of my KiPass defeating the mad lobsters =)
That sounds like an AWESOME ride! I sure wish I could make that trip too but sadly my schedule doesn't allow for it. Next time you're over near my side of the state HMU and we could do a day ride or something.  8)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »
That sounds like an AWESOME ride! I sure wish I could make that trip too but sadly my schedule doesn't allow for it. Next time you're over near my side of the state HMU and we could do a day ride or something.  8)

I'm heading across FL Saturday with the Connie and meeting some sportbike friends for O'steens if you care to join us....   http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9098.0
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 01:47:18 PM »
Thanks. Ill give that a try tonight. But I think mine are pretty secure. Did Kawasaki make any changes to the bags for 2010??
Once you get to the post-recall era, it is mostly a question of individual manufacturing tolerances.  There have been very few bags that have fallen off.  However, at about $650 per bag, it's not much fun to lose one or have it damaged.  Most C14 owners will never have a problem, but if there is much / any play in the bags on your bike, it is worth considering pinning them. 

You can ignore the forum clowns, but it is unlikely that they will lose their saddlebags, as this is just not that common of a problem.  Being one of the few with a "flying saddlebag", I decided that pinning is a good thing - cheap and easy.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2012, 01:56:57 PM »

If you're really worried about your bags, here's some cheap insurance.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=473.0

It's not pinning but Zsteve makes, and sells, a simple solution in his retaining brackets. I use them and so do many others. No drilling required.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2012, 04:12:43 PM »
If you're really worried about your bags, here's some cheap insurance.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=473.0

It's not pinning but Zsteve makes, and sells, a simple solution in his retaining brackets. I use them and so do many others. No drilling required.

Yep...  :goodpost:

Offline chap

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2012, 10:14:45 PM »
Put your bags on and then stand behind the bike. Grab one of the bags at the bottom and gently lift up. Keep an eye on the rearmost mounting point and you can see how they might come off.

So I tried this tonight. I can move the bags a little, and can see how once things get a little worn they could easily part company with the bike. Not a good design by Kawasaki. You would think that after 5 years of this bike they would have fixed it. The simple design solution is to make the pegs 1/2 inch or so longer.

In conclusion it is zip ties for me. Cheap easy, and seems very secure. i may try eventually extending the pegs
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2012, 04:48:19 AM »
So I tried this tonight. I can move the bags a little, and can see how once things get a little worn they could easily part company with the bike. Not a good design by Kawasaki. You would think that after 5 years of this bike they would have fixed it. The simple design solution is to make the pegs 1/2 inch or so longer.

In conclusion it is zip ties for me. Cheap easy, and seems very secure. i may try eventually extending the pegs

I was going to do the same thing myself, extend the tabs (pegs) a lil so that they couldn't come out accidently. After thinking about the time involved in doing so vs. the ~$10 for Zteve's retaining brackets, I went with the lazy solution.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:04:33 AM by Conrad »

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2012, 06:03:08 AM »
For me its like drive shafts (that used to be the big internet Failure on these bikes I used to read about), one out of 100 is bound to fail.

My '10 bags are solid, > 53,000 miles and no issues.  For me Kawasaki designed mine perfectly, almost as good as KiPass. There is a big orange latch that has prevented mine from flying up and off whether empty or overloaded =)

I'll take a pic a lobster crawling on my unprotected bags on the bike during  my Tampa to Maine/Canada/all over trip in a few weeks

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2012, 08:43:47 AM »
Ah, the chief clown posts again.  But the odds are wrong.  The actual historical loss ratio is more like 1 in over 500.  If you count only those with pinned bags, however, the chance of flying saddlebag syndrome is 0.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »
Ah, the chief clown posts again.  But the odds are wrong.  The actual historical loss ratio is more like 1 in over 500.  If you count only those with pinned bags, however, the chance of flying saddlebag syndrome is 0.

Yeah, I can't take the 'net too seriously.  Thanks for the scientific factual statistics. It must've been quite a chore researching and compiling them. My bags (and everyone's I've heard of with '10) are fine but I'll eat a lot of crow if  I'm that one in 500

Son of Pappy

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2012, 01:03:08 PM »
Hey, I thought I was the Chief Clown ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2012, 01:07:09 PM »
It's a rotating position...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2012, 01:12:15 PM »
It's a rotating position...
I'm too big to be a spinner, I reckon Steve can keep the title 8)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2012, 01:13:28 PM »
Hey, I thought I was the Chief Clown ;)

Nope, you're the Clown Chief, that's a step up in pay grade you know? Plus it has it's perks. You get to drive the clown car. 

Oops, sorry, wrong picture.    You bet 'oops'  >:(

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:24:33 PM by VirginiaJim »

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2012, 01:14:21 PM »
hah

Son of Pappy

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2012, 01:19:33 PM »
Did I just get called a "Funny indian"?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »
hey no fair, you get called names too!?  ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »
Did I just get called a "Funny indian"?

Well, if the moccasin fits...