Author Topic: Stock "socially responsible" muffler too quiet.  (Read 13566 times)

Offline connie14boy

Stock "socially responsible" muffler too quiet.
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:52:43 PM »
The stock bazooka muffler is so quiet I can't hear the engine at all. Is there a way to take out some of the silencing materials or baffles w/o changing the tune or re-flashing the ECU? I just need a little more engine symphony if ya know what I mean...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Stock "socially responsible" muffler too quiet.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 01:22:12 PM »
There are some who have modified the stock muffler with varying degrees of success. You should be able to use an aftermarket slipon without needing fueling modification if that's all you do.

Offline W14

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
+1, add aftermarket slipon.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »
Some guys have shortened the stock can for a lil more gusto. It's still butt ugly IMO.

Get you an Area P slip on, no engine tuning required. At idle it's a bit louder than stock. At cruising speed it's about the same. When you get on it, it sings a VERY sweet song.    8)

http://www.areapnolimits.com/products/Slip-On-Exhaust-Kawasaki-Concours-14-2008.php
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Kawi Ken

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:06:18 PM »
The area p stainless slip on seems reasonable priced and comparable to stock. Yet better looking.
Is this" lean" comment on their site anything to be concerned with ? -

Slip-On - Power increase starts immediately from 2500 rpm and carries through peak at 9250 rpm. Very linear. Increase was 5.62 horsepower and 4.68 foot pound torque. The chart shows runs with the 18" muffler/2.0" core. The stock fuel curve was slightly lean in spots up to about 8000 rpm, then rich on top end.  Although not required, It may benefit with the addition of a PC3/V.

Especially if a more efficent air filter also added ?
2009 C-14 Fast Color !
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
http://youtu.be/jrFJQwYFJWw

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 05:18:52 PM »
I bought my Area P slightly used on this site for $285.  It looks
and sounds great.....not loud at all unless your really reving it. 
I have about 20k on it with no PC and OEM air filter.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »
Passing through lean spots in the rpm range is not going to hurt. Extended use in a lean condition will of course damage an engine but other than flat road cruising you are seldom flat lined at a given rpm.  Air filter discussions are kind of like oil or tire threads, lots of data interpreted many different ways. The stock air filter presumably flows very well and there is no immediate reason to change. I like the ability to clean and reuse the K&N and BMC filters rather than have to replace.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »
The stock bazooka muffler is so quiet I can't hear the engine at all.

Maybe you have damaged your hearing with loud exhausts?  ;)
I can hear mine just fine.  Sounds like a bike should be, to me....  smooth and non-annoying.   Yes, I know that is not for everyone.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 10:26:45 PM »
Mine runs better than ever with my Area P, no lean spots at all. And it actually emits a nice pleasant tone unlike Maxtog's ride.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 11:39:59 PM »
Maybe you have damaged your hearing with loud exhausts?  ;)
I can hear mine just fine.  Sounds like a bike should be, to me....  smooth and non-annoying.   Yes, I know that is not for everyone.
It's also possible that the OP hasn't figured out how to start the engine because of KiPass.  LOL

I prefer quieter exhausts, and am happy with the stock muffler.  It is very easy to hear, especially at WOT.  I used to think that "loud pipes save lives" was a Harley/cruiser thing, but experience has proven that lots of people seem to hold to the doctrine, even if they don't preach it in those words.

Loud pipes get old real fast, and I'm old enough already.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline W14

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 04:36:06 AM »
Whether one likes a loud pipe or not is a personal preference. Some like them loud, others do not. I personally like to hear the full sound of the engine, like a deep growl, which means an after-market muffler. This issue has been debated fully on this site, and there is no consensus regarding sound nor a specific after-market muffler. My suggestion is that you do a search of  "Battle of the Cans." Then, decide what is best for you.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 05:34:48 AM »
It's also possible that the OP hasn't figured out how to start the engine because of KiPass.  LOL

I prefer quieter exhausts, and am happy with the stock muffler.  It is very easy to hear, especially at WOT.  I used to think that "loud pipes save lives" was a Harley/cruiser thing, but experience has proven that lots of people seem to hold to the doctrine, even if they don't preach it in those words.

Loud pipes get old real fast, and I'm old enough already.

Thanks for sharing your opinion about the "loud pipes save lives" issue Clyde. I can assure you that I do not subscribe to that doctrine. That's what I like about the Area P. If I ride and keep my wrist in check, the Area P is about the same as the ugly stocker, sound wise. But sometimes I just want to let her rip and when I do, I want to hear Connie sing. I never do this in traffic FYI. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 05:48:21 AM »
Mine runs better than ever with my Area P, no lean spots at all. And it actually emits a nice pleasant tone unlike Maxtog's ride.
:goodpost:

I really like my Area P slip-on, I find I can turn some heads if I want to.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
Depends on the kind of riding your doing. If your out for a short day ride a LITTLE rumble might be fine, If your on a vacation and on the bike for several hours over several days I like quiet. I listen to music and have a CB to communicate with other bikes, loud pipes, after a while get annoying, at least to me.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »
Depends on the kind of riding your doing. If your out for a short day ride a LITTLE rumble might be fine, If your on a vacation and on the bike for several hours over several days I like quiet. I listen to music and have a CB to communicate with other bikes, loud pipes, after a while get annoying, at least to me.

As I said, the Area P is about the same as the stocker duing normal 'crusing' or on the highway. It's when you get on it that you hear the difference. See the numbers below from Area P's site.

Idle            5000rpm

Stock   77-78 dbA    92-93 dbA

Slip-On 83-84 dbA    92-93 dbA

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 08:56:57 AM »
I like quiet exhausts.  And I can hear my engine just fine when I rev it up over the entire RPM band.

Offline Jack Daniels

• Ain't nobody chasin' me boy
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
I like moderately loud exhausts.  I love the look and sound of my CS One.  8)

The factory muffler is huge and U-G-L-Y.   ;D

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 11:31:07 AM »
vance and hines CS 1 looks and sounds the best.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »
My Area P only sounds loud in the garage.  So I stopped riding in there.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 06:16:01 PM »
My Area P only sounds loud in the garage.  So I stopped riding in there.

:rotflmao:

Sparky is a wise man!  :thumbs: :hail: