Author Topic: horsepower  (Read 14695 times)

Offline katata1100

Re: horsepower
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2012, 01:55:13 PM »
It's silly to think these bikes don't need a break in, of course they do!
The motor is NOT broke in when you get it brand new. Look at the oil, it will have a little bit of metal in it. If you were to get the oil analyzed, you'd see metal levels decrease from the first one.
Kawa thought it important enough to not only say it needs a break in, but get into unusual specifics like the let the engine idle a bit (a minute?) after start up before driving it.
Unlike most here, when i got my bike, I drove it long distance- rode 500 miles the first day. One thing that was very apparent was engine noise- when I first got the bike, it had a very clattery sound coming from the valve train, like a sewing machine. I stopped for gas at around the 400 mile mark and it was noticeably much quieter.
Dealer told me that changing oil like the book said was super duper critical, that they were not trying to sell me an oil change and knew they couldn't as I lived in another state, told me to change it at 500 mile mark.So I went to wallymart, got change container, rotella, changed it and took the oil home. The reason why, they told me was in the first 500 miles of riding, there is a lot of metal and crap that ends up in the oil and filter, they have seen oil that looked glittery and such in bikes.
Some will say that running a bike hard when new will give more power. Well, accelerate the wear and you'll have more clearance in things like bearings which will result in less friction, but you also have shortened the life of the motor. Of course, motor life in bikes is sort of moot when so many of them end up wrecked.