Author Topic: We took the GTR for our first three hour round trip. and...  (Read 5737 times)

Offline Elfmaze

We took the GTR for our first three hour round trip. and...
« on: April 07, 2012, 04:45:38 PM »
Not quite as comfortable as i would have hoped for the long trip!  Still some work to do.   The main problem I had was rounding into hour two or so.  My jeans kept binding agaist my crotch and squeezing the life out of em.  I don't necessarly feel I am being pushed into the tank.  But the binding of the pants says otherwise. 

I really don't want to go spending $700 on a new seat right now.  Maby I'll try sheep skin, or the likes.

I also found on the longer trip that i had to move my feet off the controls because I guess I'm stretching my calves a bit to not bump the shifter or brake.   Moving my feet back on the pegs(not covering the brake or shifter) releaves the need for this up pressure.

I really liked the windshield being able to move an inch or so to eliminate the booming wind noise.  The bike handled well and had plenty of GO!

I think its going to be a great touring platform once i get my seating issue worked out. 

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: We took the GTR for our first three hour round trip. and...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »
Yup....pretty much the first thing to upgrade on any bike is the seat, even on Goldwings and BMW's. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »
You might look intyo a Spencer's seat mod. Big difference for me for $120...... A search for "Spencer" and you'll find the web site......

Offline W14

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »
Elfmaze,

A three hour round-trip sounds like about 200 miles, which is really not that long for a trip. You don't say much about the type of bike you came from or what you have done to make your C-14 fit you. The C-14 has some ergonomic issues that take some getting used to. Have you added risers or tank grips? Both of these  should help with your seating position on the bike.

You will likely need a new seat if you are going to do 400+ miles per day trips. I average 200-300 miles per day, have 16K on my bike and still have the stock seat   

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »
A three hour round-trip sounds like about 200 miles, which is really not that long for a trip.

I know!  granted I guess the old bike was about the same endurance level.  But we are really hoping this will be a bike we can do multi-day trips on.  At least a full day of riding 4-6 hours.  hence why i'm a bit upset by this.

type of bike you came from ...?

I was riding a 2003 Z1000.  Have about 115K miles on her. Renthal ultra-low bars,  and stock rest of the seating position.  BUT when riding two up my girl was complaining that she was getting "beat up" on the back.  She sais the GTR is much better for her.  quote "my (bum) is not bruised the next day"  We got the Concours to remedy this problem. 

Have you added risers or tank grips? Both of these  should help with your seating position on the bike.

I have never thought about risers on the bike.  anyway to gauge if one would like risers or not?  I didn't want to sacrifice the sporty riding position.  But I'll have to check if I'm further forward on this bike than I am on my z1000.   I did notice using my knees on the tank more to support myself.  i'll get ergo pictures tomorrow of both bikes.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 03:52:39 AM »
Elfmaze,
as a very cheap improvement, let me recommend you the pads from this company. You can even find them in the UK, as I did (I live in sweet warm Germany  ::)).
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline danl

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 06:29:22 AM »
If my pants were binding me like that the 1st thing I'd try is a different pair. Jeans really aren't that good for riding, with all the thick seams that you sit on or otherwise have pressing against you.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 07:44:11 AM »
Take your seat to an upholstery shop in your area, tell them that you want it dished out so you don't slide forward, they can do that and save you  some money. The Spencer mod mentioned before works for a lot of people but this way you save shipping.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 07:47:24 AM »
its a terrifying concept to carve into the new seat.   I'll have to table it for sure for at least a few months.  Se if it improves or not.  But it sure beats buying a new seat if it works. 

I took some ergo pictures on my two bikes.  Fairly identical seating positions if anything the GTR is more upright than my Z.  I did notice a bit more weight on my wrists with the Z.  SO i don't think risers would help me with this issue. 

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 10:30:59 AM »
In motion I would say you have more pressure on the 14, less force pushing you back.  Try a ride without the screen on, still lots of wind protection when compared, but I bet things will feel closer.

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 01:07:59 PM »
I think you can even see the shifter issure in this picture.  I'm wearing slippers so you can see the flex real good where my foot is bending up to rest on the shifter.  I should be able to adjust that down.  Brake side might be a bit more difficult. 

May even be able to see some rippling in the GTR's seat from the forward slide stress.

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 02:19:13 PM »
Proper riding position should have the balls of your feet on the pegs the majority of the time anyway, not resting your foot on the shifter or brake pedal anyway. 
As far as clothing goes, I've found that under armor boxer-briefs work great to keep things in place downstairs.  Less material to bunch up, and so jeans bunching up isn't as big of a deal.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:08 PM »
Proper riding position should have the balls of your feet on the pegs the majority of the time anyway, not resting your foot on the shifter or brake pedal anyway. 
As far as clothing goes, I've found that under armor boxer-briefs work great to keep things in place downstairs.  Less material to bunch up, and so jeans bunching up isn't as big of a deal.

dito. I tend to position my feet a bit more backwards than what you show in the picture with the C14, so the brake or shift lever don't bother me at all.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 01:18:43 AM »
First thing I do on a new bike is adjust the contols (levers/pedals) to fit.  Whether you ride with the shifter or rear brake (or clutch or front brake, for that matter) covered or not, it just make sense to have them adjusted properly.  Don't forget to adjust the rear brake light switch as well.

The seat will break in somewhat with usage, but I would recommend www.diymotorcycleseat.com for ideas on reshaping the stock seat.  One thing that I have learned beyond that site is using yoga mat foam for bike seats.  The stock seat has a lot of forward slope, both in the rider and passenger sections.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:21 PM »
Not quite as comfortable as i would have hoped for the long trip!  Still some work to do.   The main problem I had was rounding into hour two or so.  My jeans kept binding agaist my crotch and squeezing the life out of em.  I don't necessarly feel I am being pushed into the tank.  But the binding of the pants says otherwise. 

I really don't want to go spending $700 on a new seat right now.  Maby I'll try sheep skin, or the likes.

I also found on the longer trip that i had to move my feet off the controls because I guess I'm stretching my calves a bit to not bump the shifter or brake.   Moving my feet back on the pegs(not covering the brake or shifter) releaves the need for this up pressure.

I really liked the windshield being able to move an inch or so to eliminate the booming wind noise.  The bike handled well and had plenty of GO!

I think its going to be a great touring platform once i get my seating issue worked out.

I've done many 1000+ mile days with the stock seat and the addition of the $8 beaded seat cover from Wally world. I use it whenever I'm riding more than about a tank of fuel (200+ miles).

As for the crotch of your pants: Diamond Gusset Jeans.

http://www.gussetclothing.com/mendiamgusje.html

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 07:12:56 PM »
Wow I wish i could load the back of my bike up like that.  I have a pillion that is always with me..  And to add insult She claims one+ of the saddle bags :(

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 07:24:56 PM »
Wow I wish i could load the back of my bike up like that.  I have a pillion that is always with me..  And to add insult She claims one+ of the saddle bags :(

That was the second day of a 3 week 7500 mile trip (Savannah to sw Oregon and back to Savannah) with camping gear and 5-6 meals worth of vittles.

I won't try to talk you out of the Spencer mod...but I'm a cheap bastard at heart and try easy/cheap solutions first. Then again, I bought my C14 on Feb 7, 2008 and by 1 March I'd spent nearly $1600 in mods to "make it better". My wife wasn't impressed.

I like the beaded seat cover 'cause I can take it off when sport riding...vs. most other mods that you have all the time. Let us know how it goes!

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »
I accually have one of those Beaded seat covers...  Bought it trying to salvage the idea of using the Z1000 for longer trips again.  I'll have to try it on the GTR Asap

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »

As for the crotch of your pants: Diamond Gusset Jeans.

http://www.gussetclothing.com/mendiamgusje.html

Am I the only one scared to click that link??  :-\

Flathead

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 08:06:38 PM »