Author Topic: UPDATED Sun Burned my LCD Display  (Read 16456 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Sun Burned my LCD Display
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 03:04:55 PM »
The 'rat thing' is a squirrel.

If Kirby came from Egypt, you would stand in line and pay good money to see him just like King Tutankhamen.

It does not take all kinds, it is just that there are all kinds roaming the planet and we have become accustomed to that.

Humor, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and Kirby tickles me. Actually, the idea of Kirby tickles me. Just consider that I only mention Kirby about 2% of the number of times I think of Kirby in any given situation; Kirby goes to the circus, Kirby waits in the mailbox for the mailman, Kirby gives out candy at Halloween, etc., etc. ad nauseum. And I heavily restrict Kirby posting here- what you are seeing are just a few thoughts of his that sneak past my better judgment or those few times Kirby acts without my knowledge.

You were looking at a picture taken of Kirby's bad side. Then again, I guess Kirby doesn't really have a good side.

Brian

<snip>

Personally, I do find that rat thing pretty disgusting and not quite funny... but it takes all kinds.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »
I took the bike to the dealer today and he did not have that shocked look.  He took several photos and asked if the stock shield was what I have on the bike, which further made me feel that he has been down this road before.  I also asked that the front battery in the TPMS be replaced and the rear TPMS activated since it never worked from day 1.  As far as the comments I deleted my post because it serves no purpose other than to get a thread locked that I feel is important.  The post had nothing to do with the squirrel which I happen to get a laugh out of, I miss the KiPass threads.  It also had nothing to do with jjsC6, he and I communicated and all is good.  So l will post the Kawasaki reply next week when I hear back.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
Good Luck!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 08:53:23 PM »
Yeah, Kawasaki has heard of this before.  ::) 

I believe all you will need is the instrument cover, not a new instrument cluster. The cover is pretty reasonable in price (something like $70 as I remember) and will not result in any new odometer readings or anything similar. When the needles or instrument faces are 'scorched' is when the entire cluster has to be replaced.

Best of luck,
Brian

I took the bike to the dealer today and he did not have that shocked look.  He took several photos and asked if the stock shield was what I have on the bike, which further made me feel that he has been down this road before.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2011, 02:09:48 PM »
The dealer called and said that they are just going to replace the cover as stated above.  My Speedo needle was a little distorted but not worth replacing and having a different mileage to worry about.  Waiting for the part to arrive. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2011, 02:25:10 PM »
Did they offer any explanation as to why/how it may have happened?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »
No but they did not give me a hard time so I left it at that, especially considering I did not buy it from them and they are replacing it at their expense (retail 90.00 part).  The sun was positioned above my left shoulder, not head on.  It was very intense and my LCD had a black spot for about 10 minutes but it went away.  I will carry a white towel from now on which is a shame but good insurance.  I am getting the flashing TPMS battery from the front as well and they are taking care of that under Warranty and activating the rear which was never on.  Hopefully its battery will be ok and things will work out.  I will update later.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 04:38:19 PM »
No but they did not give me a hard time so I left it at that, especially considering I did not buy it from them and they are replacing it at their expense (retail 90.00 part). 

It will be at Kawasaki's expense, not the dealer's.  I am sure you knew that, but what you said didn't come out sounding that way.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »
It will be at Kawasaki's expense, not the dealer's.  I am sure you knew that, but what you said didn't come out sounding that way.

I believe the dealer just front the bill for the parts and labor pending review again of the warrantied item. Then Mama Kawi reimburses the dealer.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »
They presented it in a manner representing THEY are paying for it but as stated above I am sure they will be reimbursed by KAWI.  They have no motivation to go out of their way to spend money out of their books on me.  I am gonna have them do a few things while it is there to support them just because. 

Offline Khrome

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2011, 06:21:58 AM »
I am getting the flashing TPMS battery from the front as well and they are taking care of that under Warranty and activating the rear which was never on.

:o

So you never got a pressure reading from the rear?
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2011, 06:40:22 AM »
Hopefully activation will work but I don't think we've had any luck with that in the past.  The activation is upping the tire pressure to about 50/60lbs or so.   My bet is on a dead sensor.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DaveO

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2011, 10:09:03 AM »
i had some dash meltage/warpage on a bike a few years back .
Now I aways make it a point to put my gloves over the dash when i leave the bike .
 Its caused by  the sun  hitting the screen just right creating magnifying effect.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 04:18:03 PM by DaveO »

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2011, 02:10:31 PM »
:o

So you never got a pressure reading from the rear?

not from day 1, just dashes in the rear display section.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2011, 04:35:35 PM »
556, when that malfunction, do you get  a warning or just nothing?

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »
556, when that malfunction, do you get  a warning or just nothing?

nothing, no flashing like low battery or anything.  instead of a pressure numerical value I just have dashed for the rear. 

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2011, 05:42:31 PM »
The dash is not far from the toaster oven glove box and is made from the same or similar plastic.  We all know that gets hot enough to melt ipods and such.

I wasn't aware of this. I suppose I should take my Bic lighter out of the glove box.

Offline sunnycoaster

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 04:31:34 AM »
I had mine melt as in previous pictures and it was replaced under warranty last month. Apparently it is an electrical component that gets quite hot and moves close to the plastic gauge cover with vibration. My dealer said they turned it over when replacing the cover so ti is further away. So it is not the sun causing the plastic to melt.
Cheers, from Australia.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2011, 06:35:26 AM »
Interesting.....I'd like to know which component it was and why it seeming to get hot after the bike is shut down?

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2011, 08:14:50 AM »
I had mine melt as in previous pictures and it was replaced under warranty last month. Apparently it is an electrical component that gets quite hot and moves close to the plastic gauge cover with vibration. My dealer said they turned it over when replacing the cover so ti is further away. So it is not the sun causing the plastic to melt.
Cheers, from Australia.

Thanks for the info.  I will ask my dealer to check for that, however my speedo needle was burned as well so the sun has to have some part in the issue unless the component you are speaking of effects the entire area.