Author Topic: I just noticed I missed the first 3 times I SHOULD have replaced the plugs  (Read 6741 times)

Offline vortex2

Owners manual says replace plugs numerous times.
7K 14K 22.5K
I just replaced mine at 25k the gaps were all fine.
Bike ran fine.

I think this was discussed before but lost on the forum shift.

Thoughts?

Offline jjsC6

My thought is that it's a money grab for the dealers and a CYA for mama kawa.  Replacing spark plugs is a thing of the past.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline rcannon409

I believe  a lot of this is for corrosion. Sometimes the plugs LAST for a hundred thousand, btu ti makes a mess of the threads in the head when the old plugs are removed.  The yz400 dirt bike is a good example where this happens. The plug is DEEP in the head and by the time it goes bad, the corrosion is unreal.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:20:56 PM by rcannon409 »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
45k and haven't changed them yet.  Bike still runs well.  I'll probably do it at 50k.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
mine are getting replaced next week at 16K mi. I prepaid for a maintenance package and the plug change is a part of it. as well as 1 valve adjustment. I'm waiting till I have over 20k for the valve adjust. Wanna make sure they actuall have something to adjust. ;D
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Yeah, I skipped those intervals for changing the plugs also but in addition, I skipped the change at 30K, 37.5K, and 45K as well. Changed them at 50K and they still looked great, and all gapped to w/in 0.001" of the factory spec. I checked mine at 25K when I checked the valve lash and they looked so good I put them back in for another 25K miles.

It was discussed at great length on the old forum and while I do not think any of us really knows the right answer, it seems to be an emissions requirement, just as the valve lash check interval seems to be emissions related.

Brian

Owners manual says replace plugs numerous times.
7K 14K 22.5K
I just replaced mine at 25k the gaps were all fine.
Bike ran fine.

I think this was discussed before but lost on the forum shift.

Thoughts?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

I agree that corrosion can be a big problem with spark plugs in aluminum heads. They can get so bad that the plug hex is broken off before the plug is removed, or the plugs come out with the threads from the head still attached.

The cure is not necessarily to change the plugs though, a very light coating of anti- seize will prevent the plug from corroding to the head. I always use some anti- seize on any spark plug anytime it is installed, be it a new or old plug. It just requires a bit of care when tightening the plugs because of the greatly reduced thread friction; the original torque spec. is a bit much for an anti- seize coated plug in my opinion.

Brian

I believe  a lot of this is for corrosion. Sometimes the plugs LAST for a hundred thousand, btu ti makes a mess of the threads in the head when the old plugs are removed.  The yz400 dirt bike is a good example where this happens. The plug is DEEP in the head and by the time it goes bad, the corrosion is unreal.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Kazairl

I agree that corrosion can be a big problem with spark plugs in aluminum heads. They can get so bad that the plug hex is broken off before the plug is removed, or the plugs come out with the threads from the head still attached.

The cure is not necessarily to change the plugs though, a very light coating of anti- seize will prevent the plug from corroding to the head. I always use some anti- seize on any spark plug anytime it is installed, be it a new or old plug. It just requires a bit of care when tightening the plugs because of the greatly reduced thread friction; the original torque spec. is a bit much for an anti- seize coated plug in my opinion.

Brian

You've never owned a Ford with a Triton engine have you? I agree will everything you said. But sometimes anti seize isn't enough.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
I don't klnow why i change mine so often. Every 25,000 miles is a waste on these plugs.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA

Brian
Clarification please. My intuition tells me reduced thread friction would call for more torque. Is My intuition wrong again >:(
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline B.D.F.

When a given torque is applied to any fastener (or any screw of any type), a percentage of that torque is converted into linear force (the 'tightening' force) and a part of that torque is wasted overcoming friction between the mating threads (and converted to heat but we really do not care about that). As the thread friction is reduced the linear force goes up. When we tighten a fastener what we really want is a given force (or stretch) applied to the fastener head, or the sealing ring of a spark plug in this case. So when the threads are coated with anti- seize the friction goes down and the force applied goes up for a given torque. So to maintain the same force on the sealing ring of a spark plug after applying anti- seize (or any friction reducing material) we must reduce the applied torque.

To expand on that a bit, we only use torque to measure the value of 'tightness' on a fastener because we can directly and easily measure the torque applied. What we really want to measure is the force applied to the fastener but that is difficult to measure. But measuring torque is a 'best guess' situation anyway because anything that changes the thread friction alters the torque / force relationship. It works best for things like head bolts because the threads are clean and a lubricant is usually specified (motor oil in most cases). It works really pretty poorly for things like lug nuts because of the dirt, rust, deformation, flaking plating, etc., etc. that is really all over the place.

The way that works extremely well is to measure the stretch actually applied to a fastener. The stress / strain relationship (stretch to force applied) of steel is very well understood and documented. Chevrolet small block connecting rod bolts are best tightened this way; a gauge is put over the bolt before tightening and set to zero: when the bolt stretch reads 0.007" or 0.009" (I do not remember which), the bolt is <correctly> tightened regardless of the torque applied to the nut on the far side of the fastener. Obviously something like this is impossible to do with a spark plug though. As an aside, come critical fasteners are made with a built- in strain gauge which is used to <correctly> tighten them.

As a bad 'rule' of thumb, machined steel threads are considered to be 50% efficient (50% of the applied torque is used to make force, 50% is wasted as thread friction). A very good extreme pressure lubricant may raise that number to 80% or 85%. So here is what I do with the spark plugs in my C-14: I use anti- seize which is a fair extreme pressure lubricant, I do not bother looking up the recommended torque for the spark plug, and then I install them using a 14mm box end wrench on the end of the Kawasaki supplied spark plug tool. I tighten them too exactly "reasonably snug", being very careful not to over tighten them. Yeah, I know that is funny but it is the truth. Bolt tightening torque is not a very exact thing under good circumstances anyway, and anything w/in 40% of correct is more than close enough in most cases. Case in point: there is a very specific torque specified for the rear axle bolt of a C-14. So we tighten that fastener to exactly the correct torque…. and then tighten or loosen it slightly so that the cotter pin holes align.

I bet that is way more than you wanted to know about tightening spark plugs.  :D

Brian

Clarification please. My intuition tells me reduced thread friction would call for more torque. Is My intuition wrong again >:(

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Wow.... and I only just tighten them by feel...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Thanks. That does make sense. I just finished replacing sparkplugs on my wife's 07 Miata. Plug thread seizing has been a reported problem. Interestingly enough Mazda give a fairly wide range for the torque rather than a single value. At Miata.net the gurus who use anti-sieze tighten to the bottom of the range.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
When you torque your castle nut at the rear axle to 94 FT LBS, and the holes don't line up, tighten the nut more to line it up. Never loosen it. ;)

I always use a torque wrench on the axle nut, but have never used one for spark plugs. :)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Conrad

Wow.... and I only just tighten them by feel...

That's what she said...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

Yeah, the whole point of tightening spark plugs is so that 1) they don't leak combustion gasses (not likely if more than hand- tight) and 2) they don't loosen up (not likely if they are more than hand tight). The whole torque thing is taken too seriously most times I think, although there are critical areas that should be tightened carefully and to a known amount such as steering head bearings (not really a fastener, in that case you are preloading the bearings themselves).

Brian

Thanks. That does make sense. I just finished replacing sparkplugs on my wife's 07 Miata. Plug thread seizing has been a reported problem. Interestingly enough Mazda give a fairly wide range for the torque rather than a single value. At Miata.net the gurus who use anti-sieze tighten to the bottom of the range.

Offline Fretka

You've never owned a Ford with a Triton engine have you? I agree will everything you said. But sometimes anti seize isn't enough.

Yep, and still do, it's the aluminum head V-9!

P.S.  If you look up in the sky at about 10 pm in the vicinity of Polaris you will see my AutoLite spark plug still orbiting.   :-\

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline B.D.F.

Actually I do but have never changed the plugs because they look far too difficult to do in that Expedition. I am fairly large and I still have to stand on something and reach WAY over the engine compartment to get to the back of the heads. There is a gentleman down the road who does this for a very reasonable price so I pass on that one.

I am not saying you are wrong but I have never seen anti- seize fail and allow a seizure. Part of the usage is to coat the entire thread; it is not enough to put a dab on the threads and assume the stuff will spread everywhere when the threaded part is installed. I wipe the anti- seize into the threads using a paper towel and use a 'screwing' motion (easy boys!) to drive the stuff down into the threads to the root (easy again boys!). Once coated, I do not think the aluminum parent material can actually touch the steel threads and cause seizure. But I have been wrong before and will be again... maybe this is just the next time.  ;)

Brian

Offline Kazairl

They have a very well documented problem that is due more to bad engineering than anything else. The last time my step dad took his 5.4l engine into the shop to have his spark plugs changed it cost him about $800 (Which is cheap compared to some) because they broke more than half the plugs getting them out. And as Fretka alluded too, they are also known for occasionally blowing the plugs out of the heads. ON some thing like that I would recommend changing them sooner just so you can get them out of the heads easier and not waiting for them to wear out.

And to add to your little Torque dissertation, A 3600 series Caterpillar has 4 Head bolts per head. To "Torque" the head bolts we install special presses on the end of the studs and pressure them up to a set pressure (28,000PSI IIRC) and then snug the nuts. Creates the proper tension on the bolt and no worries about lube or any twisting forces on the bolt.

Offline B.D.F.

Yep, I am not saying that there isn't a problem with the spark plugs in that engine, nor that there is a problem in the head directly. I am saying that I cannot see how any threaded device, including spark plugs, can seize in a threaded hole unless the entire thing has been heated to a very high temperature. I have seen anti- seize (the normal, common, silver (nickel) based type) fail (more like disappear) but only when the parts in question had been repeatedly heated to temperatures high enough to produce 'color' (over 1,000 F) for long periods of time. Spark plug bodies just do not get that hot, at least not anywhere near the threads.

OFFTOPIC I was not aware of that method of tightening a head- thanks for mentioning it.

As one more aside about correct tensioning of fasteners: in the 'olden' days, most civil projects made of steel plate were fastened together with hot rivets (skyscrapers like the Empire State Building, bridges, etc.). We tend to look on these as old fashioned and probably a poor method to use. Quite the contrary: when a rivet is hot enough to flow (as it is when peening the head over), the steel in the rivet expands and relaxes. As the rivet cools, it shrinks and puts the proper amount of tension on the two members being held together. Hot rivets are labor intensive and fairly slow to install compared with today's threaded fasteners and hydraulic impact drivers but they work extremely well and count on nothing but physics to tension properly. Almost like a magic fastener that really cannot be miss- installed.

Brian

They have a very well documented problem that is due more to bad engineering than anything else. The last time my step dad took his 5.4l engine into the shop to have his spark plugs changed it cost him about $800 (Which is cheap compared to some) because they broke more than half the plugs getting them out. And as Fretka alluded too, they are also known for occasionally blowing the plugs out of the heads. ON some thing like that I would recommend changing them sooner just so you can get them out of the heads easier and not waiting for them to wear out.

And to add to your little Torque dissertation, A 3600 series Caterpillar has 4 Head bolts per head. To "Torque" the head bolts we install special presses on the end of the studs and pressure them up to a set pressure (28,000PSI IIRC) and then snug the nuts. Creates the proper tension on the bolt and no worries about lube or any twisting forces on the bolt.