Author Topic: Surprise pick up today! TPS success!  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
Surprise pick up today! TPS success!
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:11:48 PM »
     On way home from work-less than 1/2 mile to home and well looking elsewhere for a sec and there was a hell of a commotion under my front tire so I watched TPS and of course my rear started falling pretty slow couple lbs a 1/10th mile.
Got home looking at my rear I see a 1/2 " hex buried to the hilt...I thought Wow that nuts( or bolts)
   grabbed my pliers & it was a 5 1/2"(no BS) long bolt I was shocked!!!!

Then I thought about something other than the cost of a new PR2 or 3..the PR 2 (3300 mile on) that was on didn't suffer catastrophic failure-serious kudos there and it will play in to replacement choice!!
       Mike

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:03:33 AM by VirginiaJim »
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Son of Pappy

Re: Surprise pick up today!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »
But-but, I thought the front tire kicked all the debri out of the way ;)

On a serious note, I'm glad to hear you made it home safe.  Give the Angels a shot, I'm thinking you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they do.

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: Surprise pick up today!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:55:45 AM »
But-but, I thought the front tire kicked all the debri out of the way

The front tire kicks it up so the back tire can catch it.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Re: Surprise pick up today! TPS success!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 02:09:14 PM »
Gotta love them TPM sensors.  8)   They saved me by letting me know I had to go faster on the straights, to get to a town with a station so I could get air when I was just outside of BFE with a tire going down fast.

Years ago, I picked up a 7/16" diameter bolt (shank dia., head was much bigger) in the back tire of my old 650 Nighthawk.  No TPMS back then, however I discovered it in my driveway, so I felt lucky.  It sure left a big hole when I pulled it out.

I put a patch-plug (patch with a plug molded into the center of it) on from the inside, and used the tire until it was bald.  Never did leak after the repair, and you could easily see the plug when you looked at that spot on the tire.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »

I don't think a plug would work or am I wrong(please tell me I am!) as vacation is coming soon as is the "Buckeye Bash" that I would like to  attend the weekend right before I leave on sunday....money/money/money ::) ::)
   BTW-Jim good edit!!

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 12:38:06 AM »
If the hole is as big as the one in mine was, then a plug by itself probably would not work (at least for long).  What I was talking about is a patch/plug.  It's a patch for the inside of the tire, that has a plug molded into the center of the patch.  This page shows it with pictures : http://www.artsautomotive.com/publications/8-automotive/66-tires-patch-or-plug.

I'm not sure where you would find them, as the one I had was rattling around in my tool box for years, just waiting for the right moment to become useful.   ;)

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250