Author Topic: heat insulation glue?  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Dade22

heat insulation glue?
« on: August 03, 2011, 04:29:09 PM »
I have to replace the lower part of the chin faring (the matte colored part) on the left side.  I didnt notice at the time I ordered the new one that there is heat insulation glued to it so I didnt order a new one.

It looks like I can remove the one from the damaged piece but not sure how to get it to stick back on.  Any recommendations on what type of adhesive to use on the heat insulation foam to stick it back to the lower?

I dont want to spray it with something that will melt the plastics.

Thanks

Dade22
"To punish and enslave..."

Offline coastalconnie

Re: heat insulation glue?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »
To aid in getting the insulation off the original panel, I used a heat gun while peeling off the insulation. Really worked well in softening the adhesive so as not to tear the insulation. I used 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive to glue the insulation back into the new panel. It's been holding strong for the past three years. Hope that helps you.

Offline Dade22

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 05:12:38 PM »
To aid in getting the insulation off the original panel, I used a heat gun while peeling off the insulation. Really worked well in softening the adhesive so as not to tear the insulation. I used 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive to glue the insulation back into the new panel. It's been holding strong for the past three years. Hope that helps you.

Thanks. Where did you pick that up at?  Ill go get some tonight...seeing that Im going to finish swapping out the panels tonight.

Dade22

Offline coastalconnie

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
I think I picked it up at Lowes or Home Depot. 3M makes several different strength spray adhesives but the 90 seams to be working well.
Oh, here it is:http://www.lowes.com/pd_193252-98-90-24_0__?productId=3019207&Ntt=3m+spray+adhesive&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3D3m%2Bspray%2Badhesive&facetInfo=&state=R#reviews_t
Make sure you spray both the panel and the insulation and once you set it in-place, that's it. It's not going anywhere.

Offline vivo

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »
clear silicone caulk will work too....

vivo

Offline Dade22

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 07:46:22 PM »
Thanks Coastal!

Just got back from Menards.  Had to get some paint for the bath so I checked out their selection of spray adhesives.  They had it so I bought it!

Loctite also makes one that says its for wet areas but since you used the 3M kind I bought that one.  Why try something else when ya know one works!

Thanks again. 

Dade22