Author Topic: May have nearly stripped my battery box bolt  (Read 9382 times)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: May have nearly stripped my battery box bolt
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 07:45:21 PM »
It is really not possible to fully restore mangled (technical term) threads. A cutting tap will simply cut new threads in whatever material is left and that leaves a very weak threaded hole. A forming tap (the 'thread restorers') will re-form the threads to a degree but some material will no doubt be lost again resulting in weak threads.

The better way to go is to have the hole resized and sleeved. You could do this yourself but given the expense of the tools (drill, tap and the actual sleeves) and considering there is a learning curve to use these sleeves, I would suggest finding someone who would do it for you. Larger motorcycle shops often do this as a service. Once a sleeve is in place, it will be stronger than it was originally and as the new threads will be either steel or stainless steel, odds are that you will not have any trouble cross- threading a screw again, at least not in that hole. The service should not be overly expensive. Make sure whoever does it cleans up any chips that end up in the frame though as that is part of the induction system and behind the air filter- any chips introduced in the frame will end up in the engine shortly.

Brian

To inject some reality into Brian's expert advice, which I would take if I had oodles of spare time . . . the thread in question simply holds a plastic plate in position. There's no stress on it. A simple rethreading should be more than adequate.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 07:45:30 PM »
Battery door only has one bolt? ??????? Do you mean the fairing cover? ???? The battery 'door' has four bolts and is a stressed member of the frame. The fairing cover over the battery 'door' only has one bolt and is just a piece of cosmetic plastic. I though we were talking about the aluminum, four- bolt containing battery 'door' (maybe batter access hatch is a better word). ??

If we are talking about that one bolt that holds the fairing cover in place.... by all means, clean up the hole and forge ahead. You OF COURSE do not have to clean inside the frame if it is the fairing cover bolt because that thing threads into the battery 'door' or hatch. The fairing cover is also not structural at all, whatsoever so who cares if the threads are a little.... off.

Let’s see- battery door or battery door fairing cover, either way it includes the word ‘battery’. As the battery is electrical, it is part of the electrical system. Going through the electrical system leads one into the ECU and guess what the ECU is attached to? Yep, the <k-word>! I knew it, this is a <k-word> problem and it only has three degrees of separation.

So which one are we talking about, the aluminum battery hatch or door with four bolts or the fairing cover, which is made out of plastic and only has one bolt (and is red in your case)?

Brian

My battery door only has this one bolt.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 07:48:43 PM »
Of course and certainly... if we are talking about the fairing cover instead of the "battery door". I thought he was talking about the cover, door or hatch that bolts onto the frame side and encloses the BATTERY, not a piece of fairing. The words "compound fracture of the leg" and "nick on my shin" are not interchangeable; one requires a band aid and the other requires a cast at best and surgery and sutchers at worst.

You could use duct tape to hold the fairing cover on without any repercussions.

Brian

To inject some reality into Brian's expert advice, which I would take if I had oodles of spare time . . . the thread in question simply holds a plastic plate in position. There's no stress on it. A simple rethreading should be more than adequate.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 07:49:26 PM »
Got me there, fairing cover over the battery door.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »
Well in that case I guess I am glad I didn't venture into the tempering of the aluminum after being stress cracked. Strike everything I said.

Oh, problem with the FAIRING COVER that bolts onto the BATTERY HATHC? I would suggest lubing the bolt with a bit of grease and forcing it into and out of the <half stripped> hole (easy boys!) and form new threads. Perfecty adequate for the PROBLEM YOU HAVE.

::) :D

Brian

Got me there, fairing cover over the battery door.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 08:58:08 PM »
The battery 'door' has four bolts and is a stressed member of the frame.

Wait- is that really a stressed member?  If so, that makes sense.  When I was cursing at the design, I was thinking "DAMN- why the hell does it need all this unless it is part of the stress frame??  Nah, can't possibly be....."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
The frame is a box- section with a big hole cut in one side. That would ruin the stress resistance to racking or twisting through that section. Kawasaki put a cast aluminum hatch over the hole and used four fairly large fasteners to attach it, with one in each corner. It seems like a lot of design and materials for just a cover and it isn't even waterproof so I think it is a stressed member of the frame. Just my opinion but that is what it looks like to me. ??

Brian

Wait- is that really a stressed member?  If so, that makes sense.  When I was cursing at the design, I was thinking "DAMN- why the hell does it need all this unless it is part of the stress frame??  Nah, can't possibly be....."

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 09:35:46 PM »
A Keenesert or Timesert will be better than a helicoil. But for that hole I would just use a thread chaser or a tap and run it through the hole to clean up the threads.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 11:54:54 PM »
that f%@#$&* cover bolt was crossthreaded when I got the bike, and was the first one to strip out.......ran a 1/4-20 tap into it, and it's now sporting an SAE bolt.......till I decide to helicoil all the other ones on the metal cover mating below the plastic valance.... and those need to be coiled also.....dealer cross threaded all those also.... :'(

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 07:17:18 AM »
Glad to see my dealer wasn't the only moron that did this.  I was pissed when I saw that.  The monkey that did it continued to crank the bolt in there so hard that he rounded out the inside on the hex.  You would've thought that he sensed there was a problem by that point, but nope.  I wrote a nasty email to them.  I recommended that the person that was responsible for doing this shouldn't be working on motorcycles anymore.

I feel like a new person!

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
Well crap, now you're just talking crazy talk.
Take the tank off this beast, yeah right.
That's what my favorite female owned moto shop is for. ;D
You don't really need to remove the tank to access the airbox covers. I just remoce the bolts and tilt the tank up on its rear end and support it with a football. I disconnect the overflow and vent at the rear but not the fuel line or electric connector.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
The frame is a box- section with a big hole cut in one side. That would ruin the stress resistance to racking or twisting through that section. Kawasaki put a cast aluminum hatch over the hole and used four fairly large fasteners to attach it, with one in each corner. It seems like a lot of design and materials for just a cover and it isn't even waterproof so I think it is a stressed member of the frame. Just my opinion but that is what it looks like to me. ??

Brian
I am sure Brian is right about the battery door being a stressed member. I think the throttle body hatches are also. They are cast aluminum, if they were just covers they would probably be plastic.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 06:34:45 PM »
Glad to see my dealer wasn't the only moron that did this.  I was pissed when I saw that.  The monkey that did it continued to crank the bolt in there so hard that he rounded out the inside on the hex.  You would've thought that he sensed there was a problem by that point, but nope.  I wrote a nasty email to them.  I recommended that the person that was responsible for doing this shouldn't be working on motorcycles anymore.
Mine was munged also. I cleaned it up with the original size tap. It lookes to me as though the factor hole is not perpindicular.