Author Topic: Adjusting Headlight... Not the knobs...  (Read 7429 times)

Offline darrell

• Arena
  • Pay No Attention...
Adjusting Headlight... Not the knobs...
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:20:36 PM »
First time out in the darkness tonight and I see that my headlights are lighting the road nicely.  Too bad it was only the road thirty feet in front of me.

Is there any way to adjust the headlights besides the knobs on the dash?  I didn't look tonight in the darkenss, but I'll take a peek tomorrow.  Just want to know where and what to look for.

I have the service manual on order...

-darrell
It's a tough life, if you don't know how to live it.

Ride West Ride Report

Offline MrFurious

Re: Adjusting Headlight... Not the knobs...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »
The dash knobs adjust the vertical. There's also a less obvious smaller knob under the vertical knob to adjust each side horizontally.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 04:59:52 AM »
I don't understand. Why wouldn't you use the knobs to adjust the headlights? That's what they're for.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 05:08:58 AM »
First time out in the darkness tonight and I see that my headlights are lighting the road nicely.  Too bad it was only the road thirty feet in front of me.

-darrell

30ft...I should so lucky.  Mine only illuminated about 10ft when I got my bike.  There's a lot of turning involved to get them right on the low beam.  I have mine set just a scoche below obnoxious now.    The knobs are the only way to adjust them.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline darrell

• Arena
  • Pay No Attention...
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 05:50:44 AM »
OK, didn't realize the knobs would adjust them that much.  I tried to turn one of them before leaving the parking lot last night, but the resistance I felt made me believe it was already adjusted to it's maximum.

I'll start cranking on them this morning and see how it goes.

Thanks,
-darrell

Ride West Ride Report

Offline jonathan

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »
It's a fine thread, so you'll need to do a lot of cranking.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 10:35:22 AM »
The dash knobs adjust the vertical. There's also a less obvious smaller knob under the vertical knob to adjust each side horizontally.

My, my, my.  I thought you were being a smart-alec, because I had never seen any horizontal adjustment knobs.  Lo and behold, they are not "under the vertical knob" on the dash, exactly, but next to the headlight boots.  The left one is at about the 4:30 postion to the left headlight boot, and the right one is at the 10:30 postion to the right headlight boot.

THANKS!  Even some of us old dogs can still learn a new trick.   :thumbs:
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline darrell

• Arena
  • Pay No Attention...
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 11:34:41 AM »
I turned them about 20x each side.  I was hesitant to crank on them last night because there was more resistance than I expected.  But, you folks know, so that's why I asked.

I can now see my headlights reflecting off the tailgates/cars in front of me.  Tonight I'll see if I went far enough or if more is needed.

Thanks!
-darrell

Ride West Ride Report

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
The easiest way to adjust headlights is to point the bike at a white or light colored wall and see where the cut- off line is (low beam). Then move the bike back and make sure the cut- off line drops at least a little bit; the usual recommended drop is something like 2 inches at 25 feet distance. This way the headlights are pointed down very slightly so as not to blind oncoming drivers. It also seems to help to adjust the right headlight just a "tad" (technical term) higher than the left one; this is still kind to oncoming traffic but gives a bit more vertical beam spread.

Brian

I turned them about 20x each side.  I was hesitant to crank on them last night because there was more resistance than I expected.  But, you folks know, so that's why I asked.

I can now see my headlights reflecting off the tailgates/cars in front of me.  Tonight I'll see if I went far enough or if more is needed.

Thanks!
-darrell
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 11:52:40 AM »
If you practice at this Clyde, you could become very proficient at making this adjustment. Who knows, maybe there is a 'Master' level of headlight adjuster out there with a certificate and everything.....?

All in good fun. ;D

Brian

My, my, my.  I thought you were being a smart-alec, because I had never seen any horizontal adjustment knobs.  Lo and behold, they are not "under the vertical knob" on the dash, exactly, but next to the headlight boots.  The left one is at about the 4:30 postion to the left headlight boot, and the right one is at the 10:30 postion to the right headlight boot.

THANKS!  Even some of us old dogs can still learn a new trick.   :thumbs:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 01:17:38 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 01:32:59 PM »
Not sure who'll be more excited about the new knobs, me or my wife  :o
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline Wile

• Kawasaki is Japanese for "Money Pit"
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »
"Disciples of Displacement"
I'm so stealing that. ;D
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window.
Past Bikes...  A bunch.  Current Bikes 1975 Z1 (the rat bike) and a 2010 C14