Poll

Have you ever walked away from your C14 with the lights still on and killed the battery?

Never!
34 (72.3%)
More than once (I'm a slow learner)
2 (4.3%)
Came close a few times
1 (2.1%)
Only once so far
10 (21.3%)
Thanks for reminding me! [disappears towards parking lot]
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Ever Killed the Battery?  (Read 7480 times)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Ever Killed the Battery?
« on: July 06, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »
Well yesterday I did a lunch run, park in front of the office in gear, kickstand down, killing the engine and walk on in.

EXCEPT, I forgot to turn the big damn key! Two hours later, the bike is dead as a rock and I'm discovering just how tight the factory screws the battery cover allens in place. Sheesh!

Anyhow, am I the only one who suffers from brain fade? KiPass should have a way to alert us that things aren't switched off ALL the way.

Offline stewart

Re: Ever Killed the Battery?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:53:47 PM »
Yep, did this at a Subway once and never again learnt my lesson.

I was lucky yo have enough charge to be able to roll start it.

There is a mod to add a buzzer...someone might be able to re-post.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:55:51 PM »
My bike is a 2011 with 3900 miles on her so I haven't had much time to kill anything. No farkles or changes, she's bone stock.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »
Never have yet, I guess some kill it by turning the bike off using the kill switch, and then forget to turn the ignition switch off.  I use the ignition to shut the bike down,.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:59:50 PM »
Well, if the big red light on the dash, the LCD information still showing, or the headlight and tail light being on didn't alert you, what else do you want?

I guess they could make the horn start honking if the FOB goes out of range or something. ::)    I'm not sure I want my bike to be that needy though.  ;)

I've had a dead battery on mine before, but only from sitting over the winter, never by leaving the key on.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline Tom J.

• "Disciples of Displacement" charter member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »
Stewart,
How hard is it to "roll start" the C14?  Did you have a hill or help?  I imagine it would be a handful otherwise.
'08 Kawasaki Concours
'98 Yamaha VMax
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'82 Honda CX500 Custom

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
Well yesterday I did a lunch run, park in front of the office in gear, kickstand down, killing the engine and walk on in.

You should get in the habit of always using the key to turn off the engine :)

EXCEPT, I forgot to turn the big damn key! Two hours later, the bike is dead as a rock and I'm discovering just how tight the factory screws the battery cover allens in place.

INCREDIBLY tight, as I found out last week when trying to add the horn wiring.  I was shocked at just how difficult it is to access the battery on this sucker.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Bob

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:46 PM »
I just about always turn the bike off with the kill switch, then immediately turn off the ignition switch. So I personally have never left the key on and killed the battery. But I can see how some would, since the key stays in the ignition on the C14.
 There is a little work around that I think BDF came up with years back now. It's basiclly a buzzer that goes off when the key is on without the motor running. This may solve your problem. Maybe Brian will be along with the particulars of his mod!

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »
Did it once at my house.  Left the key on overnight and killed it. Luckily the PO had had a Battery Tender lead installed. But #1 I don't have a battery tender and #2 they charge at like .75 Amps or something.

So I rigged up a couple 14 gauge wires and wrapped one around the exposed post and stuffed the other one into the other hole and clamped the charger cables to them. On The low setting it charges at 2 amps. Worked pretty good.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:51:55 PM »
I have not killed the battery that way but have left the ign. on a bunch of times. I got lucky in that I was not gone all that long so the battery did not drain but I thought it was inevitable so I conjured up a warning buzzer that sounds whenever the headlights are on and the fuel pump is off- these conditions are ONLY met after the bike has been started and shut off and the ign. switch is left on.

Fred H. came up with an improvement to make it even easier to install than my original method and his method is documented here: http://cog-online.org/clubportal/clubstatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=29563

My only suggestion would be to not take apart the wiring connector as Fred and simply cut and splice the new wires into the harness by soldering them in.

All parts are readily available from Radio Shack and only cost a few dollars.

I thought the bike would come from the factory by now with a buzzer built in but I guess as motorcycles do not have buzzers, Kawasaki has not added one to the C-14 either.

Brian

EXCEPT, I forgot to turn the big damn key! Two hours later, the bike is dead as a rock and I'm discovering just how tight the factory screws the battery cover allens in place. Sheesh!

Anyhow, am I the only one who suffers from brain fade? KiPass should have a way to alert us that things aren't switched off ALL the way.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stewart

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 06:04:25 PM »
Stewart,
How hard is it to "roll start" the C14?  Did you have a hill or help?  I imagine it would be a handful otherwise.

I had a very mild hill and a brother in-law who helped push. If I was on my own, or no helpful passer by, then I would have been s%hit out of luck.
Stewart
2010 Concours14
COG 9380

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 07:53:51 PM »
Never have yet, I guess some kill it by turning the bike off using the kill switch, and then forget to turn the ignition switch off.  I use the ignition to shut the bike down,.

+1 I've always turned off my bikes using the ignition switch.  I'm sure there are many reasons to have a separate kill switch, but so far I haven't found a use for it besides knowing its there for an emergency.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
So that's what that red button does...I grew up on bikes without a kill switch, so I have always been in the habit of using the key.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 09:37:57 PM »
+1 I've always turned off my bikes using the ignition switch.  I'm sure there are many reasons to have a separate kill switch, but so far I haven't found a use for it besides knowing its there for an emergency.

Yep.  The kill switch is there for an emergency only.  It really should not be used to turn off the bike under normal use.  And probably the best reason not to do so is what this thread is all about.

If you always use the ignition switch (key) to turn off the bike, you will never accidentally leave the bike "on".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 09:38:58 PM »
I just about always turn the bike off with the kill switch, then immediately turn off the ignition switch. So I personally have never left the key on and killed the battery. But I can see how some would, since the key stays in the ignition on the C14.
 There is a little work around that I think BDF came up with years back now. It's basiclly a buzzer that goes off when the key is on without the motor running. This may solve your problem. Maybe Brian will be along with the particulars of his mod!

Just don't do that, and you won't need a buzzer!  Problem solved!  :)

Offline marku8a

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 10:14:56 PM »
Interesting conversation. I use the kill switch often. It’s probably a habit from riding MX/dirt bikes. This is the heaviest bike I have owned. When parking or stopping on a slope I like to have both hands on the grips while shutting down so I can catch it if something didn’t go as planned. Trying to stay out of the droppers club! I have been guilty of not turning to off as well. Buzzer going in soon! Thanks B.D.F.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »
I use the kill switch when I get gas, otherwise my H.A.R.D radar system (that's plugged into the oem cigarette lighter plug) resets and I have to turn my radar detector back on. When i get somewhere and get off my bike I always just turn the key off. I can't imagine trying to push start this bohemoth unless I was on a down hill...  :o

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 01:51:25 AM »
I only killed the batt once, thanks to Brian & Fred.  It wasn't long after BDF had posted up his little fix, and I figured it would never happen to me.  Fortunately, some kind travelers in a motorhome gave me a jump, and the battery was up to a full charge after about 15 miles.

The mod is easy, cheap, and useful.  If you never use the sidestand or kill switch to shut off the bike, fine.  One "I told you so." is sufficient.  We all do things for our own reasons. 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 04:04:28 AM »

I've always thought it was there for entertainment purposes for group rides...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Bob

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 04:12:50 AM »
Just don't do that, and you won't need a buzzer!  Problem solved!  :)

I personally never needed the buzzer. I shut off the bike with the kill switch, and immediately turn the key off. It's conditioning! I do it that way every-time. I've never left the key on when I didn't want to.
 I use the kill switch to keep myself trained for instinct. If an emergency arises, my instinct may be to shut the bike down without having to think about it. Like anything, training yourself to do things certain ways, creates instincts that take over. So I personally never had a problem shutting off the key (even if I don't use someone else's approved methods!). My problem with the C14 was only and always trying to get the key switch to actually turn on!  ;D