Author Topic: busted coolant overflow bottle  (Read 17153 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
busted coolant overflow bottle
« on: July 05, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »
I am changing coolant again, to get rid of the water wetter. Checked the coolant overflow bottle after refill, per service and noticed a leak. I think it has been there since I installed the PCV. I obviously overtightened the lower bottle mounting screw in order to insure a good ground. (or you non PCV users, the PCV installation isntructions suggest using this screw as a gorund)
I am trying some 2 part epoxy but after applying I noticed on the tube " will not bond polypropylene or polyethylene"  I am wondering if anyone knows waht the bottle is made out of?
It has the markings:" <PE> on the side of the bottle  :-\

Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Conrad

Re: busted coolant overflow bottle
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
How come you're getting rid of the water wetter?

PE = (you guessed it) polyethylene
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »
It is polyethylene, or 'poor man's Teflon' and it does not play nicely with glue. You might be able to use some melted PE to fill in the crack but the really great news in all of this is that a new tank is only about $20, and even less at Ron Ayers ($15). My suggestion would be to buy a new bottle and be done with the leak because my experience with PE is that it is unworkable.

Also, you will want to move that P.C. ground wire up to the frame brace where the wiring harness is attached. Use the same bolt that is there holding the clip that the gray harness is attached to.

I know the instructions with the P.C. say to use that bolt but it is a terrible idea; using a plastic flange under a steel bolt to hold an electrical connection wire. At best the plastic will squeeze or flow out from under the bolt head, leaving a lousy ground and at worst the plastic will crack as in your case. Not your fault though as you were following directions.

Brian

I am changing coolant again, to get rid of the water wetter. Checked the coolant overflow bottle after refill, per service and noticed a leak. I think it has been there since I installed the PCV. I obviously overtightened the lower bottle mounting screw in order to insure a good ground. (or you non PCV users, the PCV installation isntructions suggest using this screw as a gorund)
I am trying some 2 part epoxy but after applying I noticed on the tube " will not bond polypropylene or polyethylene"  I am wondering if anyone knows waht the bottle is made out of?
It has the markings:" <PE> on the side of the bottle  :-\

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
years ago, in Ohio, where skiing was god at times, and horrible at times, I purchased PE sticks for repairing the slider suface on my downhill skis, many ski shops carry the materials, and I have welded PE using them many times to repair huge missing chunks from my skis.
Possibly you could get a ski shop pro repair guy to fix that....just offering the input. Grind out the cracked area, clean it well with brake kleener, and have them build the area back up, and then drill a hole....voila.

I actually remoulded the aluminum threaded filler neck into the fuel tank (PE) on my 74' KX450 with great success, using the sticks, a pinpoint needle tipped butane torch, and a lot of care....(I filled the tank with water to a point right below the repair).

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 03:13:29 PM »
I've repaired PE tanks before using a soldering gun and extra filler material also.

However, I like Brian's suggestion, a new one is cheap.  Riders Choice Racing has them for $16.44 with free shipping - Kawasaki part number 43078-0047, (http://www.riderschoiceracing.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=788189&category=Motorcycles&make=KAWASAKI&year=2008&fveh=21328)

--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:32:11 PM »
This is starting to become a habit, eh Lather?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 05:47:37 PM »
How come you're getting rid of the water wetter?

PE = (you guessed it) polyethylene
The watter wetter works too well! I think it may actually reduce engine temp up to 20 degrees by making the radiator more efficient. But that extra heat removed has to go somewhere (I think that is a Federal Law or something) and it goes in the riders lap. The complaints of 08/09 heat that I scoffed at before are a reality with water wetter. I was fortunately riding with mesh pants that had large knee pads which saved my knees but the heat was funneled up into my crotch and it was not pleasant.

The water wetter experiment was not well thought out, I should have known. However, I mainly bought it for the VFR and it HAS cured the Viffer's overheating problem. The VFR's sideways radiators don't work well but at least their output is not aimed at the rider.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice dudes. The epoxy repair seems to be holding. At least the epoxy seems to be sticking well and the leak has stopped. I know that does not mean it will hold up to road work so I will go with a new bottle. I have decided with the plastic off and my next trip a few weeks away I might as well do a valve check and spark plug change now. The SV and VFR work better for local rides in this heat anyway.

And yes Jim, it is a lifelong habit. If you aren't breaking your toys now and then you ain't playing hard enough  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 06:10:43 PM »
Good choice IMO, the glue (whatever kind) simply cannot bond properly with polyethylene (or polypropylene for that matter) and you would certainly have to deal with that same leak again. I only mention this for anyone else who may have the same or a similar problem in the future.

Like the old joke goes, what do you glue the world's slipperiest substance with (P.T.F.E., trademarked Teflon)? Hope and prayers 'cause nothing else will work. Polyethylene is really no better although it may appear to seal for a time.

Brian

Thanks for the advice dudes. The epoxy repair seems to be holding. At least the epoxy seems to be sticking well and the leak has stopped. I know that does not mean it will hold up to road work so I will go with a new bottle. I have decided with the plastic off and my next trip a few weeks away I might as well do a valve check and spark plug change now. The SV and VFR work better for local rides in this heat anyway.

And yes Jim, it is a lifelong habit. If you aren't breaking your toys now and then you ain't playing hard enough  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
I've repaired PE tanks before using a soldering gun and extra filler material also.

However, I like Brian's suggestion, a new one is cheap.  Riders Choice Racing has them for $16.44 with free shipping - Kawasaki part number 43078-0047, (http://www.riderschoiceracing.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=788189&category=Motorcycles&make=KAWASAKI&year=2008&fveh=21328)
Thanks for the link, have you used them and gotten good results.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 04:43:33 AM »

Like the old joke goes, what do you glue the world's slipperiest substance with (P.T.F.E., trademarked Teflon)? Hope and prayers 'cause nothing else will work. Polyethylene is really no better although it may appear to seal for a time.

Brian

Hmmmm, I must have missed that old joke Brian. I guess I can see why.    ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 04:57:54 AM »
Yeah, well it is probably more of an old, industrial- scientific joke really.  ???

Brian

Hmmmm, I must have missed that old joke Brian. I guess I can see why.    ;)

Offline GordonM

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 09:13:10 AM »
Nobody has mentioned GOOP Glue yet!  Works very well.  I always carry a tube in my toolkit.  I have sealed up holes and cracks in flexible water jugs, gas tanks, water overflow tanks.  And it glues just about anything together when your on the road and need a quick fix (like shattered marker light lens and housings).  Available at hardware stores.

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/Automotive.htm

Offline Shoe

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I would just get a new coolant tank. It will eventually leak if you glue it.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Flathead

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 02:56:05 PM »
Yeah, well it is probably more of an old, industrial- scientific joke really.  ???

Brian

Kinda like "How do they get Teflon to stick to the pan??"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »
Exactly right- how do you stick the anti- stick stuff where you want it? Moderately humorous, at least to me.

The way it is done is that the pan surface is made very rough before the application of the non- stick coating. The coating grabs the “stalactites” of the pan surface and cures in place. It is not really glued in place, it is mechanically ‘wrapped around’ the pillars in the pan’s surface.

Brian

Kinda like "How do they get Teflon to stick to the pan??"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 05:30:57 AM »
Exactly right- how do you stick the anti- stick stuff where you want it? Moderately humorous, at least to me.

The way it is done is that the pan surface is made very rough before the application of the non- stick coating. The coating grabs the “stalactites” of the pan surface and cures in place. It is not really glued in place, it is mechanically ‘wrapped around’ the pillars in the pan’s surface.

Brian

Wouldn't those be stalagmites Brian?    ;)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 06:28:15 AM »
Nah, because when they are stalagmites, it is really gravity holding the coating in the pan. Only when they are stalactites is any 'sticking' required....

;D

Brian

Wouldn't those be stalagmites Brian?    ;)