Author Topic: Dealer Says I need a new ECU and wiring harness - $5000!  (Read 15641 times)

Offline urbanstyles

Dealer Says I need a new ECU and wiring harness - $5000!
« on: August 19, 2016, 02:15:21 PM »
Hi All,

It appears I'm in a bad spot with my '11 bike.  Not sure what caused it but at some point between my last ride and trying to start the bike again, all sorts of bad has happened.  When I turn the key, I get nothing but loud clicking (dealer says it's the glove box relays firing) and no fuel pump cycling.  The bike turns over but doesn't start.  Took it to dealer and after 15 hours of troubleshooting including swapping parts off of a new off the floor model, they've determined that the issue is a bad ECU and or wiring harness.  To replace both is going to run close to $5k.

What are my options here?  Try a used ECU without the harness?  Part out the bike?  Anything else to try?

Looking to the expertise here to try and figure out a solution.  Thanks in advance.

Offline connie_rider

Re: Dealer Says I need a new ECU and wiring harness - $5000!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:25:47 PM »
I have my doubts about what the dealer is telling you.

But, it should be EZ to get a harness on Ebay.
Assuming you can do the install yourself, give that a try first.

Others (more knowledgeable than me) can help you troubleshoot with more info..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 02:42:21 PM »
Does not seem right, but I'm no electronics expert. But I would like to see how this one turns out.
I'm assuming you did not get an extended warranty.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 02:48:53 PM »
So they've determined nothing. Check the battery and battery grounds.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »
battery and/ or grounding issues

Now wouldn't that be funny.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 02:50:50 PM »
Haven't we heard of this before?  Really sounds familiar.  Let me do some searching..  Hopefully the battery is ok and the grounds off the battery have been removed, scrubbed/flossed/whatever, and tightened back up.  The connections on the battery can get loose and develop invisible corrosion so those terminals need to be checked as well.  That can cause the battery to not be as charged as it should be.   Also have heard of some of the internal ground connections in the harness becoming corroded.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 02:51:12 PM »
You got me when I was changing the post, Brent.  ;D

Offline urbanstyles

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 03:53:35 PM »
Brand new battery...that was my first thought also.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 04:00:35 PM »
There is a ground on the left side of the bike down towards your foot. I don't remember exactly where, but it prevented my bike from starting when it was left undone. (By me. :-[) Same thing, crank but no start.

I'm not saying that is for sure your problem, I'm just saying that the ground in that are being bad could do it.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 04:22:41 PM »
There are two grounds that need abrasively cleaned. One to the frame and one to the engine.

Offline urbanstyles

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 04:43:13 PM »
It's the cycling of the relays that concerns me...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 04:46:26 PM »
Weird displays or error codes on the screen?

Offline urbanstyles

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 04:47:52 PM »
Yes... FI error and fuel gauge alternating top half and bottom half.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 08:13:44 PM »
I'm going to call "baloney" on this.  Wiring harness?  That's a big deal and it's unimaginable to me that it's "bad" unless there was some catastrophic event like a dead short coupled with a bypassed fuse.  So unless it's charred beyond recognition, I cannot believe that is the issue.  Also the ECU doesn't sound like the issue here either.  The ECU doesn't control the bike powering up. 

My guess from afar is that there is a grounding or a power delivery problem from the battery.  It may take some work to find the issue but for $5000 I'd do a LOT of checking myself.

Offline smokin

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 08:18:21 PM »
Hi All,

It appears I'm in a bad spot with my '11 bike.  Not sure what caused it but at some point between my last ride and trying to start the bike again, all sorts of bad has happened.  When I turn the key, I get nothing but loud clicking (dealer says it's the glove box relays firing) and no fuel pump cycling.  The bike turns over but doesn't start.  Took it to dealer and after 15 hours of troubleshooting including swapping parts off of a new off the floor model, they've determined that the issue is a bad ECU and or wiring harness.  To replace both is going to run close to $5k.

What are my options here?  Try a used ECU without the harness?  Part out the bike?  Anything else to try?

Looking to the expertise here to try and figure out a solution.  Thanks in advance.

Firstly I would have them try the ECU in the bike they are using for testing in their shop,if it works ok in the other bike than obviously its not the ECU.
Than I would get a genuine workshop manual and start testing voltages to components,that's after I cleaned all the earths and tried another battery.
Unless the bike is blowing fuses i.e., dead short, than they is only one other cause an open circuit be it power or earth in the wiring or a component/s.
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2016, 01:46:54 PM »
I'm calling BS on all of what was done, or said was done by shop....

The ECU for an '11 is completely different from a '15-'16 model, and cannot be interchanged, the wire harneses are also different....
As are the solid state relay box sitting on top of the ECU, now, with that said, there are 2 versions of each part, based on those model years, differentiating them between CNUSA and CA models....

Simply BS they even tried to plug in a setup from a "new" bike on the floor...

ECU swapping doesn't work like that, if it did, you could swap ECU's with SISF for flash purposes... and we already know about this not being viable.. as the ECU is tied to the bike, via using the KDS3 software and diagnostics....

Total snow job here, find another dealer, one with a KDS unit....
It would take less than 1 hour using it, or even evoking onboard diagnostics, to get closer to the actual cause of failure to start... especially when it occurred  instantaneously like you say...

An '11 model, that has not had the battery removed, since it was made, surely needs a new one, and every termination point scrubbed clean... the batt must be in like new condition for diagnostics also, and questionable connections, or worn out batt, will always mess things up...
Very teltale sign is relays chattering, and no starter powere...
Glove box relay firing??? What and idiot that tech is, the glovbox has a solenoid,,, not a relay... but there are relays sitting below that operate other things... related to bike starting... when they chatter, it says "I don't have consistant volts to work properly and latch into closed position"...
15 hours your bike sat in some shop, with a bunch of goobers trying to read a manual on your dollar, is not satisfactory....
They have done nothing.

Other issues like a bad cam s sensor, or other wire of such, will prevent the bike from firing...
Too many things unchecked here...
Find another dealership.... these guys want your $5k...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 02:08:52 PM »
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but EXACTLY what ^^^^^^^ said...

...and new battery plus grounds and fuses check.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2016, 02:49:06 PM »
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but EXACTLY what ^^^^^^^ said...

...and new battery plus grounds and fuses check.

+2

Certainly where to START
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline smokin

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »
Don't forget the earth under the front of the seat,which earths out the ECU and relays which are located under the seat.
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 03:05:46 AM »
what MoB said.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.