Author Topic: I'M DONE WITH MICHELIN TIRES!  (Read 19009 times)

Offline CRocker

• Arena
Re: I'M DONE WITH MICHELIN TIRES!
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2011, 12:02:13 AM »
I had an xs11 yamaha with full fairing and bags when the touring elite/sport elite  were released.   I believe the numbers were 291 and 491, but its been a while. The sport was the 291 and it was the meanest looking tire I ever saw. It looked like a racing slick with very few grooves cut in it.  The touring elite, the 491 had more grooves, but looked good.

My father had the identical bike. His bike wore out the oem tire in 4500 miles..cords showing. He could get 6000 miles from a rear 491, and 8000 from a front 491. The sport 291's would last half of that.  My mileage was  a thousand less with either tire.

The zx11 was about the same size and weight as the voyager, maybe smaller, but I never saw anyone get close to 25k from a rear tire. Or a front. It was not unusual to find a heavily loaded Goldwing owner bitching about getting 2k from a rear. Plus, neither tire would come close to matching the performance of even the original tires on the c 14.  Comparing them to what is available now is like comparing the concours 14 to the xs11.  As far as cost goes, the local shops are selling tires for roughly double the price I paid in 82. Not bad considering the price of the motorcycle has gone up 6 times, or more.

Dunlop 291 and 391 tires came in an "S" version for sporting applications...and a "T" version for touring...the "T" model had the additional siping...The 491 was developed from these earlier touring tires...and it's focus was on higher mileage.  4500 on the OEM tire sounds a little low...but, in the ballpark for a loaded machine.

The ZX11 (is that the bike you are referring to?) uses 17" tires...which, as I stated, don't LAST as long as 15" or 16" touring tires...which the Voyager XII uses...If you meant XS11, which would use similar technology tires...6k/8k from the 491 sounds very low indeed...and, like I said...I wasn't trying to compare the C-14 to a Voyager XII...or, as you stated, an XS11!

As for the 25k claim...I saw him do it TWICE!  I had a Voyager XII at the same time...and was getting 12k on a rear, and 15k on a front...I was astounded when I first saw it...I can assure you that he was anal about air pressure and speed (or lack thereof), which contributed to his mileage, I'm sure.  He was also one of the few people that, when we were out for a ride...I would have to wait for him when we stopped for a break!

And...to say it again...those days are gone...
'02 C-10

Offline Fretka

Re: I'M DONE WITH MICHELIN TIRES!
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2011, 01:18:29 PM »

Finally, what kind of car tire do you reccomend?

Brian
[/quote]

Mickey Thompson Wrinkle Walls, (if ya get 'em wide enough you don't need your sidestand   ;D
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14