Author Topic: I'M DONE WITH MICHELIN TIRES!  (Read 19010 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: I'M DONE WITH MICHELIN TIRES!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »
Road surface... blacktop, concrete... and surface temperature... will impact tire life along with riding style, load weight, and running PSI.

hey hey hey you're bringing common sense into a "tire thread".......almost not kewl
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 03:28:19 PM »
Sorry I didn't post last night. I'm not sure if you'll even see the scalloping as it's in the early stages, but here a few shots. I met a few friends yesterday and one of them immediately mentioned it to me before I even noticed.

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 03:30:16 PM »
Road surface... blacktop, concrete... and surface temperature... will impact tire life along with riding style, load weight, and running PSI.

That's absolutely true, but there's no reason I shouldn't get at least 9K on these tires. It hasn't really been that hot for the road temps to rise, in fact there are some areas where the frost heaves are still around.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 04:27:30 PM »
hey hey hey you're bringing common sense into a "tire thread".......almost not kewl

OMG!  There goes my old Honda habits again... :o  j/k

Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »
That's absolutely true, but there's no reason I shouldn't get at least 9K on these tires. It hasn't really been that hot for the road temps to rise, in fact there are some areas where the frost heaves are still around.

Hard braking?  Like to do some aggresive off the light take offs?  Don't know what to tell you...

I got 11k out of the PR2's... got 8k out of the Storm II's...  will see how the Angel ST's do.  8) 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 04:38:48 PM »
Sorry I didn't post last night. I'm not sure if you'll even see the scalloping as it's in the early stages, but here a few shots. I met a few friends yesterday and one of them immediately mentioned it to me before I even noticed.

You just need to find more right hand sweepers to ride to balance your tire wear out.   ;)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »
The smart thing to do "for a while" will be to stick with the PR2's.....these tires are not fully proven yet.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Bob

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 05:40:25 PM »
The smart thing to do "for a while" will be to stick with the PR2's.....these tires are not fully proven yet.

This is a joke right Poke?  :o  Not a chance would I put those junk PR2's on my bike. The PR3's might be unproven, and could have issues. But I know what the PR2's were like that I had. I wouldn't run a free pair of PR2's!  Well maybe if I was just going to ride the highways back and forth cross country and never have to actually turn the bike.  ;D

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 06:58:13 PM »
I believe the term may be "cupping"... not scalloping.  I think.

Either way, it probably is not the tire.  As stated above by more than one, riding style, turn-in, braking, weight, rolling on/off, air pressure, and suspension settings....  can all combine to kill tires quickly.

My PR2s wore perfectly, until the rear flatted.  ARGH!

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »
I've seen it in fronts but not rears.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »
I've seen it in fronts but not rears.

That's what she said...  :-X

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 08:15:17 PM »

That's what she said...  :-X

I hear that!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 03:57:54 AM »

This is a joke right Poke?  :o  Not a chance would I put those junk PR2's on my bike. The PR3's might be unproven, and could have issues. But I know what the PR2's were like that I had. I wouldn't run a free pair of PR2's!  Well maybe if I was just going to ride the highways back and forth cross country and never have to actually turn the bike.  ;D

Mine did pretty well with you, Bob....    ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 04:53:47 AM »
You just need to find more right hand sweepers to ride to balance your tire wear out.   ;)

:rotflmao: :thumbs:

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 04:58:00 AM »
I believe the term may be "cupping"... not scalloping.  I think.

Either way, it probably is not the tire.  As stated above by more than one, riding style, turn-in, braking, weight, rolling on/off, air pressure, and suspension settings....  can all combine to kill tires quickly.

My PR2s wore perfectly, until the rear flatted.  ARGH!

Barry

Ugh! You're right Barry!!! Can ya tell I'm not the mechanically inclined person??? I don't believe my riding style is really that aggressive.  As for the suspension, I wouldn't know where to begin to bring try and set it up properly. I do know there's a guy in Bellingham who's supposed to be really good with suspensions. Unfortunately I can't remember his name. When I was at Penguin Racing School a few weeks ago, the guys up there were talking about him.

-Chris

Bob

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 06:20:18 AM »
Mine did pretty well with you, Bob....    ;)

I don't know Jim. I had to keep backing off watching you squirm all over the road. I was waiting for the crash!!!   :yikes:   OK, I'm kidding. You ran along at a good pace that made for a fun weekend! Are you sure you had PR2's?  :stirpot:

I really did have a good time on that trip! Again thanks for leading it! We'll have to do that again. Maybe get Pokey to join us next time!!  8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 06:26:42 AM »
That may be a possibility..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Graffixnfun

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »
I burned through my PR2's in 4000 miles.  The front probably had a 1000 left but I swapped them out for the Angel ST's and they look like they will last about that long also.  I ride aggressively with a lot of high RPM riding and engine braking.  The PR2's I had wore really well all the way to the end and I never was affraid to keep pushing them.  Majority of my riding is on twisty roads and only about a 1000 on the slab for that set.  I have no complaints about the PR2's and really believe riding style has a lot to do with the wear.  I ran 42 PSI all the time.  I have reserved myself to the fact that the way I ride will only get me 4-5K out of any brand tire.  If you were on the slab more I can see how you could get 10,000 out of a set.  If anyone wants to test out your tires on the same roads we are riding here please let me know and I will "force" myself to take you out!  LOL :)
2009 concours
2006 ninja 650R
2003 victory vegas

Offline Rawman

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »
Well, apparently PR3s are on "hold" according to my dealer.  He says his supplier won't give him any update other than Michelin stopped supplying them.  I heard a story about the rubber not cured and almost melted off a set.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 07:51:24 PM »
Just my opinion but it looks like you could use just a touch more air in that tire judging by the heavy wear just outside the inner compound. Not a lot but maybe 2 PSI more than you have been using. Otherwise it does not look all that bad to me other than maybe somewhat short on mileage. The PR3 is a relatively new tire though and I don't think we really have a good idea yet how long they will last compared with other tires with better known characteristics.  It is normal for tires to wear with a slight 'scallop' around the leading and trailing edges of the tread blocks.

By all means, try a different tire though. There seem to be a bunch available to choose from at the moment, which is all great news for us riders.

I am tempted to try a set of Continental Road Attack 2's occasionally but Michelin PR2s have performed so well for me that I always hesitate to move away from them. I did try a set of Pirelli Angels with OK results but prefer the Michelins.

As far as the visual look of the tire, I would not worry about any slight imperfections in tire wear as long as you cannot feel the defect when you ride the bike. Truly scalloped tires will absolutely get your attention.

Brian

<snipped photos>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com