Author Topic: Gen 1 to Gen 2 changes  (Read 11014 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Gen 1 to Gen 2 changes
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:42:51 AM »
We did have a thread with these changes and I'm pretty sure it was lost with the crash some years back.   So let's start this anew.  I'll update my post with the changes so that we have them in one place.  As we all know, Gen 1 is 2008 to 2009.   Gen 2 is 2010 on-wards.  The major changes were on the 2010 model.  There have been some subtle and not so subtle changes with the following years 2011 - 2015.   I would like to document them as well.   Thanks.

Complete rework of faring for better heat distribution (no cooking of ankles)
    Removed top of tank compartment
    Added glove compartment on the left side with electrical locking
    taller windshield standard, also added 4 preset heights when bike is turned on
    ECO fuel map mode for slightly better gas mileage
    KTRC traction control with ABS model
    Linked brakes with ABS model
    Heated grips
    Added menu switch to back of left grip (holding this down also activates/deactivates ECO mode)
    Added faster blue color (wishful thinking)

Non-ABS model no longer available

adjustable windshield with a new vent
  redesigned seat
  recalibrated K-ACT ABS
 1st gear ratio change
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:12:57 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Gen 1 to Gen 2 changes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:50:37 AM »
Off the top of my head

2010 changes
    Complete rework of faring for better heat distribution (no cooking of ankles)
    Removed top of tank compartment
    Added glove compartment on the left side with electrical locking
    taller windshield standard, also added 4 preset heights when bike is turned on
    ECO fuel map mode for slightly better gas mileage
    KTRC traction control with ABS model
    Linked brakes with ABS model
    Heated grips
    Added menu switch to back of left grip (holding this down also activates/deactivates ECO mode)
    Added faster blue color

Non-ABS model no longer available

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:27:43 AM »
Thanks!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:19:47 PM »
2015, from Kawi's brochure:

- adjustable windshield with a new vent

- redesigned seat

- recalibrated K-ACT ABS

... and I thought the 1st gear ratio change?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 02:08:34 PM »
thanks!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 03:13:43 PM »
* Complete rework of front and side farings for better heat distribution (no cooking of ankles) [changes aerodynamics more than just ankles]
* Removed top of tank compartment
* Added glove compartment on the left side with electrical locking
* taller windshield standard
* , also added 4 preset mode windscreen memory heights when bike is turned on
* User selectable ECO fuel mode Fuel Economy Assist Mode added for slightly better gas mileage
* KTRC traction control with ABS model
* Linked brakes with two levels of adjustability added with ABS model
* Heated grips added with variable temperature control
* Added menu switch to back of left grip (holding this down also activates/deactivates ECO mode)

Suggested changes indicated above.

Missing:

* Raised mirrors by 40mm
* Addition of top speed limiter to 154mph
* Two active keyfobs replaced with one active and one passive
* Painted the full pannier cover instead of partial
* Went from a two-tone seat to single-tone seat
* Instrument cluster went from red backlight to much improved white
* Oil pan drain plug was moved to prevent road damage to it
* Heat shield was added to the exhaust mid-pipe
* Increased level of fluid in front forks (by 25ml)
* Slightly revised rear muffler
* [I believe there was some new mode or addition to the dash computer display, but I can't remember what]

* adjustable windshield with a new vent new adjustable windscreen vent added
* redesigned seat
* recalibrated K-ACT ABS to reduce linked braking effect
* 1st gear ratio change

Suggested revisions above.

Missing:

* Stiffer rear suspension settings
* Lighter steering stem seal
* Warning lamp color change from red to yellow
* Revised mid-pipe heat shield
* Cushions added on passenger pegs
* Silver bezels on the two analog dash dials

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 03:20:43 PM »
 :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »
A little sideways ONTOPIC:

There was a rotor carrier design change, I believe in the 2012 model year but perhaps the 2011 model, that does seem to have greatly reduced or eliminated the whole rotor warping issues that BOTH the first and second gen. C-14's had. Might be a consideration when looking at used bikes....

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
Let's cheat....
Model history[edit]
2008[edit]
The bike was launched in 2007.

2009[edit]
For the 2009 model year the only changes were colours.

2010[edit]
For 2010, Kawasaki made significant revisions including adding KTRC traction control and K-ACT ABS and brake assist, as well as linked brakes[7] which are optional in some markets and standard in others. The 2010 model also features revised bodywork to improve engine cooling, mirrors raised by 40 mm (1.6 in), a larger wind screen and with memory function and auto-lowering, a heat shield across the midsection of the exhaust pipe, a handlebar-mounted switch to control the dash computer, variable heated grips,[7] an optional "Fuel Economy Assistance Mode" that tells the ECU to use a leaner, more economical air-fuel ratio at engine speeds less than 6,000 rpm and road speed less than 80 mph (130 km/h).[8] The tank-mounted storage area was removed and replaced with an auto-locking glove box in the left fairing, the exhaust silencer cap was changed, the two color seat was replaced a single color model, the instrument cluster illumination was changed from red to white, included key sets were changed from two active fobs/keys to one active fob/key and one passive mini fob/key, the front fork fluid levels were increased by 25ml, and the oil pan was modified so that the drain plug faces forward instead of downward to prevent damage. The ECU was programmed to limit top speed to 154 mph. The rear pannier covers were fully painted (instead of leaving a black area at the bottom). Many people refer to the 2010+ models as the 2nd generation (or "Gen 2") of the C14.

2011[edit]
No significant changes were made between the 2010 and 2011 models, although ABS ceased to be an option and became standard. A new color, "Atomic Silver" was offered in addition to black for this model year.

2012[edit]
On the 2012 model, the silver wheels and grab bars were replaced with black ones.

2013[edit]
Unchanged other than a new body color option of Pearl Gray for Canada and Nocturne Blue the USA.

2014[edit]
Unchanged. Body color options of Metallic Spark Black and Candy Cardinal Red in both the USA and Canada (Metallic Graphic Grey instead of Red for Europe).

2015[edit]
Kawasaki made numerous minor changes in 2015 that include a revised first gear ratio, different steering stem seal for lighter steering at low speed, stiffer rear suspension for enhanced carrying capacity, an adjustable vent in the windshield, revised ABS programming to reduce the linked braking effect, a new rear luggage base, silver bezels on the analog dash meters, elongated mid-pipe heat shield, change of warning lamp color from red to yellow, tank pad, cushions on passenger pegs, and a more deeply sculpted seat. The revised parts should all be backwards compatible with previous model years. New color option of "Candy Lime Green".

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
There was a rotor carrier design change, I believe in the 2012 model year but perhaps the 2011 model, that does seem to have greatly reduced or eliminated the whole rotor warping issues that BOTH the first and second gen. C-14's had. Might be a consideration when looking at used bikes....

My no-so-great memory says that was 2011.  Certainly worth noting.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »
Let's cheat....

Copying the Wikipedia page, verbatim is, indeed, cheating...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »
 :)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 05:35:14 PM »

My no-so-great memory says that was 2011.  Certainly worth noting.

Yes and No, Max' is right about the year, but if you look at the parts diagrams for the C14 2011 through 2014 they show both the old and the new carriers in the diagram. I know I've seen the old carriers on newer bikes. On the 2015 parts diagram there is a new part number but it actually looks the same as the 2008 carrier in the drawing. I think it may be more complicated than just a design change for a certain year. Perhaps different markets automatically got the newer one and others got the older one during the same year..or perhaps you didn't get the newer design unless you complained about the old one. If you look at the front carrier of the 2011 Versys you'll see it looks quite a bit like the extra carrier displayed in the '11-'14 parts diagrams (different part number though).
-------------------------------------------------

Missing:
* [I believe there was some new mode or addition to the dash computer display, but I can't remember what]

Going by how many GenI C14s I see with stick on thermometers I'm pretty sure that was temperature (ambient). Good catch Max'.
------------------------------------------------
Copying the Wikipedia page, verbatim is, indeed, cheating...

Especially since it isn't all correct or at best misleadingly worded.
Quote from: Wikipedia
an optional "Fuel Economy Assistance Mode" that tells the ECU to use a leaner, more economical air-fuel ratio at engine speeds less than 6,000 rpm and road speed less than 80 mph (130 km/h).

You have either selected ECO mode or you haven't, it doesn't just switch back and forth willy nilly between fuel maps based on speed or RPM. The only automatic switching done is when you turn off the bike as is defaults to regular mode on power up. The ability for the rider to switch from one map to another on the fly is limited by:
Quote from: C14 Owner's Manual
"The fuel economy assistance mode can be activated using the meter mode button on the left switch housing when rpm is less than 6 000, throttle
position is less than 30 percent and vehicle speed is less than 250 km/h(152 mph).
---------------------------------------
When you start seeing the changes all listed out like this there are quite a few of them. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:26:47 PM by fartymarty »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »
I agree that it is confusing. I remember walking through the parking lot of the 2014 national rally at a pile (lots and lots) of brake rotors on C-14's and there was both [not a clear cut- off date on when they were changed] and different C-14's of the same model year having both the old type as well as the new type rotors. Impossible to know which ones might have been replacements though. This also leaves the question as to whether or not Kawasaki simply changes out any rotor to the new style?

Brian

Yes and No, Max' is right about the year, but if you look at the parts diagrams for the C14 2011 through 2014 they show both the old and the new carriers in the diagram. I know I've seen the old carriers on newer bikes. On the 2015 parts diagram there is a new part number but it actually looks the same as the 2008 carrier in the drawing. I think it may be more complicated than just a design change for a certain year. Perhaps different markets automatically got the newer one and others got the older one during the same year..or perhaps you didn't get the newer design unless you complained about the old one.

Pretty sure that was temperature (ambient). Good catch Max'.
When you start seeing the changes all listed out like this there are quite a few of them.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I appreciate all the input.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 06:25:49 PM »
Pretty sure that was temperature (ambient). Good catch Max'.

Yes!  That was it.... I was surprised that Gen 1 could not show outside/ambient temperature.  That is actually what I leave my display on all the time (when I am not temporarily checking something else, like initial tire pressure).

Indeed.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »
Yes!  That was it.... I was surprised that Gen 1 could not show outside/ambient temperature.  That is actually what I leave my display on all the time (when I am not temporarily checking something else, like initial tire pressure).

Indeed.

Me too. I had no idea Gen 1 didn't have outside temp.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 08:58:02 AM »
The Gen 2 bikes (+2010) had white instrument lighting? Hmmmmmm.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 03:17:32 PM »
The Gen 2 bikes (+2010) had white instrument lighting? Hmmmmmm.

Oh yes.  Thank God.  I can't stand amber and especially despise red dash backlighting (guess I will never have a BWM car).  There is at least one thread somewhere about someone who took apart their Gen1 dash and swapped out all the LEDs to change to white.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 05:45:38 PM »
2015 usa vesion gots O2 sensors, different ecu and relay boxes,

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..