Author Topic: Heat "issue"  (Read 17421 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Heat "issue"
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 08:41:27 PM »
Try not to stop so much...

That would be wonderful.  There are times I wish I had a cow catcher on the front...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 07:06:22 AM »
I think reversing the air would not be very effective in cooling the headers as most of the incoming air will come from around the engine. When the fans run the 'right' way, they discharge directly onto the headers. Again, all this is just thought and opinion- someone would have to do a real test to find out.

Yes, reversing DC permanent magnet motors is just a matter of reversing polarity.

The fans draw something like 10 amps and can run continuously, as they often do in hot climates, without ever using all available power from the battery. There is about 300 watts and a bit more excess power put out by the alternator; the fans could be more than three times more powerful than they are without overtaxing the alternator. This assumes the two main uses of large amounts of power are NOT being used when the fans are being fed all this power: that heated clothing is not being used (duh) and that large, auxiliary lights are not being used (not likely when stopped in traffic).

Output control of the fans is relatively easy also- Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) is an easy, very efficient way to control the speed of DC motors and works very well. One can buy a 15 amp PWM controller for $30 or so. Of course this comes with a manual control but it could be adapted to external, automatic control fairly easily.

Brian

Reading what you said, I agree that just part-time reversal on full blast won't cut it, but it might if the fans stay on but at a lower speed while not actually needed (while at the stop).  This might help to keep air moving across the headers.  I mean, it might be designed for air to move back, but air moving forward is still likely to cool all the same stuff.

I also agree that the bike needs to be "virtually" stopped- even a few MPH would greatly fight the airflow.  But I also think that there would need to be a circuit that would quickly kill the concept and revert back into normal mode if the bike calls for cooling during the "reversed" mode.  I think that would certainly make the mod "safe" (as long as there are no real issues with the exhaust system).

I do think it is a mod worth investigating.  But I am concerned that at idle, will the alternator be able to keep up with the fans on for long periods (with other full electric load- headlights, running lights, accessories)?  We don't want to EVER dip into battery reserve, of course.  And is it even possible to run the stock fans at different speeds (that other possibility I am thinking about)?  And most DC motors can be reversed by simply changing the direction of the current- is that true with the C14's fans?

Heat when stopped is my primary annoyance when it comes to the C14.  I suspect most people agree that addressing it would be something very welcome.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 07:07:01 AM »
You're gonna' need more power and lower gearing I suspect..... :-)

Brian

That would be wonderful.  There are times I wish I had a cow catcher on the front...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »
My point of view the heat issue is not about the riding. It is about the ride, stop, ride, stop, ride and repeat.

As long as I am riding the bike it does its job of getting rid of the heat.

Every bike I've ever owned has that issue.  Heat rises and I'm sitting on top of a friggin' engine  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jwh20

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 04:18:49 PM »
I do know that GL1800 Goldwings have a REVERSE air flow when the fans run vs. what happens while the bike is moving.  The fans only run when the bike is stopped or going very slowly.  On the Wing, there are two radiators, one on each side of the fairing right in front of the rider's knees.  Normally air flows in the front and out the sides through the radiators.  But when stopped the fans pull air in the sides and push it out the front and well away from the rider.  Of course on the Wing the exhaust is down below coming out the bottom of the engine so there is no hot exhaust to generate excess heat in the space behind the radiator as you have on the C14.

I suppose such a system might work but some heat wrap on the exhaust headers might help.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 06:48:39 PM »
I like my MRA Vario screen.  Real low when I need it and higher when raining or cold.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline tomp

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 10:42:28 PM »
I agree with the W/S being up an inch or so to move more air across the engine compartment.  Even at  speed it is apparent that the screen, moved upward a bit, makes a positive difference.  At a stop, my Dyna 96CI engine puts off heat that can make breathing difficult, much worse than the C14.  At speed, I still get some heat on my shins on the 14, but none on the Dyna.  Both are fun rides, but very different.  Ya have to ride both regularly to understand the enjoyment of both.  Oh, ride the Dyna w/o a Screen, so never ride it as fast as the 14, just too much wind blast over 70 MPH. 

Using a V-Stream with a laminar lip, and can still get air movement on the body, with it moved up an inch or so,  and the engine heat is still lessened too.  .  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline amphibsailor

• Just call me Cap'n Crunch, Ted.
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 11:22:48 AM »
Pretty much the same.  I rarely have the screen completely down.  Creates a LOT of back-pressure.

Try the MadStad bracket.  It raises the shield off the fairing another 1.5 inches (approx.) which resolves most if not all of that backpressure.  I've used it on the CeeBailey screen and am now using it on the MRA Vario Touring (summer screen). 8)
09 Concours aka Cruncher: Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 lines, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg on the way),  Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 08:33:51 PM »
Have been looking for good socks for a long time, and looks like the Drymax ones are the ticket; et.

I got onto the UA All Sport. Moisture wicking, vented toes and stay cool under my Forma Adventure. I cruise through TJ Maxx and snarf em up Black or White. 3.99 for 2 pairs there. Comfy   http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Mens-Allsport-Sock/dp/B00020ZXY6

Was never hot on the 08 like some but I found that putting the sheild all the way down def was too warm. Up a bit and the airflow was much better over the legs. My 13 has an Aeroflow shield on it which is a mite talll but feels good and is cooler than my CB Ultra Still have an 08 and a 10 shield up in the barn if I want a smaller size.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Assassin 11B3P

• Arena
  • The C14 is vastly overrated.
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 09:34:09 PM »
I rode from LA to Phoenix yesterday and nearly 300 of those miles were in temps in excess of 100 degrees. The fuel tank was a bit warm but certainly not uncomfortably hot. If that's the "heat issue", might I suggest a hobby horse in an air conditioned play room? Just a thought, just a thought.......

Good for you, but I didn't spend about $15K for a bike (an '08), to get roasted...and roasted I did. Kawasaki knew about it too, seeing how they reworked the fairing in order to deal with it. Sold it for under blue book value just to get rid of it and bought a bike (as in bicycle). Probably the last Kawasaki I'll ever get...I still can't believe that after 7 years that the bike still doesn't have cruise control (something I installed from Murph's Kits for about $200 all-in and about 2 days). But after riding a BMW R1200RT, I'm off jap bikes for good anyhow. The extra coin needed to play is worth it.
Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.

Offline tomp

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 09:48:44 PM »
Good for you, but I didn't spend about $15K for a bike (an '08), to get roasted...and roasted I did. Kawasaki knew about it too, seeing how they reworked the fairing in order to deal with it. Sold it for under blue book value just to get rid of it and bought a bike (as in bicycle). Probably the last Kawasaki I'll ever get...I still can't believe that after 7 years that the bike still doesn't have cruise control (something I installed from Murph's Kits for about $200 all-in and about 2 days). But after riding a BMW R1200RT, I'm off jap bikes for good anyhow. The extra coin needed to play is worth it.

Way to go.  Join a forum to just bitch about your prior ownership. You do realize that no one here really cares about what you say, as your only premise is to complain...  FWIW, I too owned a '12 R1200RT, and sold it, as it was a slug, and handled worse than the 04 RT I currently have.  Wow, guess anyone can complain about a previously owned bike.  Glad you posted your feelings....Hope your FD doesn't fail out of warranty...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2015, 05:29:22 AM »

Really?  Your previous posting was 4 YEARS ago, but you feel the need to post now about the same thing- a bike you "hated" and got rid of 4 years ago?  You need to find a hobby to take up some of your time... perhaps motorcycle riding?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2015, 06:22:16 AM »
 :rotflmao: The troll is back. You get banned from the BMW forums?

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2015, 09:07:44 AM »
Read the signature line..... explains a lot

Please use this forum to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2015, 10:39:39 AM »
Really?  Your previous posting was 4 YEARS ago, but you feel the need to post now about the same thing- a bike you "hated" and got rid of 4 years ago?

:rotflmao: The troll is back. You get banned from the BMW forums?

I don't know the man, but "troll" seems a bit harsh. He apparently actually owned the bike at one time and he had a problem with it, as did many. He didn't just come in here and spout off about it in unrelated threads but waited (yes 4 years, real trolls don't have that kind of patience) until he saw a thread that pertained to his experience with the bike. He also may have felt like he was being called out by Dez' (IMO, Dez' fired a shot across the bow of everyone that had a heat issue with the Gen 1 bikes, I don't think it's surprising that one fired back.)

I rode from LA to Phoenix yesterday and nearly 300 of those miles were in temps in excess of 100 degrees. The fuel tank was a bit warm but certainly not uncomfortably hot. If that's the "heat issue", might I suggest a hobby horse in an air conditioned play room? Just a thought, just a thought.......

...not being an Arena member myself, like Dez' and this Assasin guy both are, perhaps there is some history there that I'm not aware of. However, just based on what I saw here, I thought the forum response (closing ranks and defending Kawasaki with a counter attack) was unwarranted.
To quote Dez' again..."Just a thought, just a thought......."

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2015, 11:27:37 AM »
Yeah, but at least he is not bitter about it.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Brian

Read the signature line..... explains a lot

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
Marty, I was being nice and Kawasaki has little to do with Ass ass in being a troll. Some people just go through life.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2015, 01:15:01 PM »
 :popcorn:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tomp

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2015, 02:13:13 PM »
If assassin thinks the C14 is hot, he should ride my new scoot, a 2015 KTM 690 Duke.  Ya sit right on top of a 700cc single and a mammoth size cat, that's just below the engine. The heat coming up onto the rider is unbelievable, and stays with you quite a ways after moving again.  Not going to badmouth it though, as this is my second one and I already knew of the heat.  That and it is the most fun up to 100MPH I have ever had on a street motorcycle. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
:popcorn:

I will withhold further comments so this thread doesn't get locked. Be glad to pick it up in the Arena.  8)