Author Topic: Heat "issue"  (Read 17419 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Heat "issue"
« on: June 01, 2015, 10:17:04 AM »
I rode from LA to Phoenix yesterday and nearly 300 of those miles were in temps in excess of 100 degrees. The fuel tank was a bit warm but certainly not uncomfortably hot. If that's the "heat issue", might I suggest a hobby horse in an air conditioned play room? Just a thought, just a thought.......
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline jwh20

Re: Heat "issue"
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »
Agree 100%.  The C14, even the 08 and 09's, are downright cool when compared to virtually any air-cooled bike.

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:03:36 PM »
I suspect a lot of the complaints about heat, on '08 and '09 machines, were regarding the heat coming through the fairings.
"Baking Shins" is what I remember hearing.  ???
I wear boots and moto-specific pants and never found heat to be an issue.   ;)
Yes, I used to live in PHX and I don't have in issue in FL either.   :)

Put Tech Spec on the bike and any heat from the tank is gone.   8)

My SV1000S used to roast me real good during the summer in AZ!  :yikes:    :o
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

elp_jc

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 12:23:33 AM »
Tried the new bike for the first time on Tuesday, and other than needing a new screen for sure (the stock one is a barn door IMO, very noisy, plus HATE how the useless vent -to me- looks), my only 2 complaints is my ankles got roasted with my short Sidi air boots and ankle socks. They looked just like a bad sunburn. And constantly felt like I had a furnace under there while riding. Maybe when the fans were on. It was 99ºF, and traveling around the ton with a stiff headwind, the temp was where the fans kick in, but I don't know if they turn on at all at highway speeds. Was disappointed to have yet another marginally cooled bike, but most are that way. Had to slow way down for the gauge to show one less square. Hope the synthetic final drive and engine oil help with that a little. Also a shorter screen should help with the drag. Tired of waiting for the paint so I can buy a CopperDawg, so will probably buy the next best thing, which IMO is the tinted mini-euro screen. Need to search who makes it, so I can locate one. Already bought all the hardware from a 2014 bike in anticipation for the CopperDawg screen, so can use the required parts to install that mini-euro screen on my bike. And sell the stock one if all is well with the shorter one. Take care.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 04:34:35 AM »
Glad you didn't buy an 08/09 then  :rotflmao: .  I don't know about the 10+ bikes, but on the first gens, keeping the shield in the lowest position is the absolute worse thing you can do as far as heat on the ankles and shins.  I keep at least an inch between the bottom of the shield on the left and right sides.  If you close it all the way down, it stops the air flow from coming over the fairing and going down where the legs are.  It seems to be counter intuitive but I can tell the difference on my bike with the shield fully down vs leaving an air space.  I also found that the bike was hotter when new vs when it has about 5k miles on it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 05:51:16 AM »
Glad you didn't buy an 08/09 then  :rotflmao: .  I don't know about the 10+ bikes, but on the first gens, keeping the shield in the lowest position is the absolute worse thing you can do as far as heat on the ankles and shins.  I keep at least an inch between the bottom of the shield on the left and right sides.  If you close it all the way down, it stops the air flow from coming over the fairing and going down where the legs are. 

Pretty much the same.  I rarely have the screen completely down.  Creates a LOT of back-pressure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 07:52:03 AM »
Pretty much the same.  I rarely have the screen completely down.  Creates a LOT of back-pressure.

One more of the odd things for me.  I run my shield all the way down all the time unless my daughter is with me.  She demands the shield all the way up.....

elp_jc I have not experienced the heat that you mentioned.  Some heat - sure, but not anything that would color the skin.  My bet is the air temp that added to the engine heat.  My fans never run unless I am at a stop for an extended time.  Could your thermostat be sticking shut?  I know that is a new bike, but stranger things have happened.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

elp_jc

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »
Problem for me is at 100ºF, the freaking screen is too damn high even all the way down, so no way I'd raise it and be even more miserable with more wind protection. The stock screen needs to go. But with the CopperDawg option out (no availability of green paint), need a sportier option preferably tinted. Will start researching that today.

As of the ankles, will have to wear normal height socks; hope that solves the issue. Or at least the skin burning issue. Felt extreme heat in my ankles all of a sudden while riding several times; maybe the fans were kicking in? Or the wind blowing a certain way. Again, with higher socks, it shouldn't be too much of an issue, I hope.

Finally, don't think there's a problem with my thermostat. Plus my reservoir is at the full mark, so no lack of coolant. As I mentioned, noticed I was riding with a lot of throttle that day. Maybe the engine was getting a bit labored with the headwing going that fast (ton) and well below the powerband. Was on break-in, but will try 5th next time and see how the bike feels. Also noticed the 4K-rpm buzz is a lot more noticeable than I expected, and happens around 90. But my hands were much better than on the departed K1300S, so definitely manageable. And yes, the foam grips helped a lot there, I'm sure. As we all know, there's no perfect bike. But even with all the expected drawbacks, I'm very pleased with my purchase. It's fast enough (less temptation to behave stupidly. He he), great fun in the twisties, and definitely more comfortable than the bike it replaced. No knee pain, and only mild hand numbing when at the buzz rpm for a while. All manageable. Can't wait to take it on another trip. But man, just can't stand the damn heat around here. Looking for cooling vest options that last longer than the soak-type ones. The Kula-XD might be the ticket for me. Thank you for all the feedback.

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »
I'd also like the screen lower.  CopperDawg would be the ultimate, but I'm out there too- out of my budget this season.  Maybe next year.  I have a used Gen1 shield coming from a COG member that I will cut down & tint.  I hope that will do the trick for June, July & August in MN.  April, May, September & October the stock shield is fine for me. 

We all find things we like, and not always how others like them.  Most C14 riders like risers, I want my bars lower.  Many prefer a larger shield & I want less.  Only you will know what is best for you.  I'm sure you will find what suits you. 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 03:21:28 PM »
Problem for me is at 100ºF, the freaking screen is too damn high even all the way down, so no way I'd raise it and be even more miserable with more wind protection.

Yep, that is why I took a stock Gen2 shield and cut about 5" off of it.  And I STILL have to raise it a bit to prevent severe back pressure :)

As of the ankles, will have to wear normal height socks; hope that solves the issue. Or at least the skin burning issue. Felt extreme heat in my ankles all of a sudden while riding several times; maybe the fans were kicking in?

Possibly.  But the fans rarely run unless the bike is stopped (or moving VERY slowly).  And yes, when that happens, I do feel heat around my legs.  And it can be uncomfortable in the summer when stopped in traffic when those fans kick in.

Rarely do I feel much heat down there when moving at any normal speed.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 09:25:45 PM »
No matter the ambient temperature, 117* from Phoenix to Tucson for a run up the Catalina Highway to Mt. Lemmon for lunch  ;), the gauge never shows showed more than the halfway mark.

Stop and go, mostly stop, will have the fans sucking air at almost any temperature.   :)

New 3 season boots here, Sidi Cobra Air have replaced my ancient Strada Air, and wear tall socks with merino wool in them.
Works for me. 

Haven't seen a 2015 in person so I can't comment on the windscreen.

Put the OEM back on my '09 on Memorial day. "Official" start of summer, right?   ::)
Painted with Krylon Fusion paint on the backside. 
I don't mind the backpressure, getting wind from the front and the back!!   ;D
Baker Built air wings above the mirrors direct air so that it spills into my lap.   ;)

You will find what works for you and be very happy!  ;)

Rarely do I feel much heat down there.

Must be terrible...   :D   :chugbeer:

IBA#53928

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 09:45:36 PM »
Love this.   :)
http://ldcomfort.com/
A bit less effective in the humid, swampy world but it does evap. more than you would expect following LD's recommendations.  ;)

Tights and long sleeve when I'm making big miles, or on the clock, feels goood!   ;)

IBA#53928

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 08:16:25 AM »
I'm running a V-Stream now and like what it does for airflow but it sure moves around a bunch more than my other shields.

I don't think that the bike itself puts off any more heat that any other large displacement bike I have ever owned. As a matter of fact, I would much rather ride a motorcycle at any temperature than drive a car with the windows down at the same temp.

Goldilocks weather rarely happens here. With over 100 days per year with temps in excess of 100 degrees, you get used to it or you move.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

elp_jc

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »
Have been looking for good socks for a long time, and looks like the Drymax ones are the ticket; thank you AZ-ZG for that link. With those, I don't think the heat will be an issue anymore. As I mentioned, that rush of hot air on my ankles wasn't constant, so no biggie.

Will start a new thread for the best TINTED sport screen other than a CopperDawg (tired of waiting for paint availability). Tried the V-Stream site, and there's only one available for the Connie, and it's clear, not sport, and out of stock. I like that they're polycarbonate though. And also that they're designed to not cause noise-inducing turbulence around the helmet.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 07:22:00 AM »
I rode from LA to Phoenix yesterday and nearly 300 of those miles were in temps in excess of 100 degrees. The fuel tank was a bit warm but certainly not uncomfortably hot. If that's the "heat issue", might I suggest a hobby horse in an air conditioned play room? Just a thought, just a thought.......

My point of view the heat issue is not about the riding. It is about the ride, stop, ride, stop, ride and repeat.

As long as I am riding the bike it does its job of getting rid of the heat.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 08:16:20 AM »
My point of view the heat issue is not about the riding. It is about the ride, stop, ride, stop, ride and repeat.

As long as I am riding the bike it does its job of getting rid of the heat.

+1!  Sitting in a line of traffic in 90 degrees + while fully geared up and waiting for the light to change while the fans kick on is NOT fun. Now THAT'S a heat issue that has no cure, except getting the bike moving again. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
+1!  Sitting in a line of traffic in 90 degrees + while fully geared up and waiting for the light to change while the fans kick on is NOT fun. Now THAT'S a heat issue that has no cure, except getting the bike moving again.

Yep.  Only time I have dropped the C14 was due to that.  Damn freaking tunnel jam again.  So hot and so long I got woosey and tilted a bit too far and bam.  And sometimes it doesn't even matter what the outside temp is, since if one is dressed for it to be 40 or 50F, that is way too much clothing for being stopped.  Of course, nothing compares to being stuck in stop and crawl traffic in full sun when it is hot out.

I had this idea a few years ago (and I think I mentioned it before)- what if the bike knew when it was sitting still or nearly so and REVERSED the fans so it blew the air (and associated heat) forward through the radiator and out the front of the bike instead of back toward the rider?  I wonder if that would make any difference?  And along the same thought, it might also be able to use a lower, constant reverse inbetween full blasts to continuously draw heat away from the rider but without the huge electric load and help make up for the reverse flow not being as efficient.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »
Now that right there is a fascinating idea I think.....

A few free thoughts:

1) The air will flow better the way the fans work stock on the bike because heated air rises, and the vents where the hot air exits (all over the rider) are higher than the front of the radiator (the air intake).

2) The bike would have to be absolutely stopped because even a few MPH in speed will badly fight the airflow forward when the fans are reversed. This is not to say it will not work but my basic thought here is that the fans will not overcome even a 'walking' speed, so once the bike starts to move at all, the fans would have to go back to moving the air in the stock direction. At least that is my initial thought with absolutely no data at all....

3) In addition to the radiator, the fans also server to cool the exhaust pipes, which are much, much hotter than the hottest the radiator will ever become before the bike overheats. So that exhaust cooling would be lost; the result <may> be a very hot engine bay along with possibly overheating the exhaust header, the catalysts, the bike's frame and <perhaps> even some plastic and / or rubber component damage.

4) The heat will come out of the radiator and a lot of it will rise directly in front of the windshield. A better place than all over the rider but still not really moved very far away from the rider either.

So the above said, I think it is a terrific idea and well worth trying. Not all that hard to implement manually with a couple of switches but much more difficult to automate- still doable, just not nearly as easy as a 'quick 'n dirty' test. The idea has other benefits also such as the fans blowing the hot air away from the entire engine assembly rather than adding to the accumulating engine bay heat (maybe- see point 3 above).

What might be a viable mod. tacked onto your original idea would be bigger, more powerful fans. They could be regulated down for conventional use but put on 'high' when reversed to move a LOT more air backwards through the radiator.

A novel and interesting idea though I think.

Brian

<snip?

I had this idea a few years ago (and I think I mentioned it before)- what if the bike knew when it was sitting still or nearly so and REVERSED the fans so it blew the air (and associated heat) forward through the radiator and out the front of the bike instead of back toward the rider?  I wonder if that would make any difference?  And along the same thought, it might also be able to use a lower, constant reverse inbetween full blasts to continuously draw heat away from the rider but without the huge electric load and help make up for the reverse flow not being as efficient.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 04:58:50 PM »
Now that right there is a fascinating idea I think.....

A few free thoughts: [...]

A novel and interesting idea though I think.

Reading what you said, I agree that just part-time reversal on full blast won't cut it, but it might if the fans stay on but at a lower speed while not actually needed (while at the stop).  This might help to keep air moving across the headers.  I mean, it might be designed for air to move back, but air moving forward is still likely to cool all the same stuff.

I also agree that the bike needs to be "virtually" stopped- even a few MPH would greatly fight the airflow.  But I also think that there would need to be a circuit that would quickly kill the concept and revert back into normal mode if the bike calls for cooling during the "reversed" mode.  I think that would certainly make the mod "safe" (as long as there are no real issues with the exhaust system).

I do think it is a mod worth investigating.  But I am concerned that at idle, will the alternator be able to keep up with the fans on for long periods (with other full electric load- headlights, running lights, accessories)?  We don't want to EVER dip into battery reserve, of course.  And is it even possible to run the stock fans at different speeds (that other possibility I am thinking about)?  And most DC motors can be reversed by simply changing the direction of the current- is that true with the C14's fans?

Heat when stopped is my primary annoyance when it comes to the C14.  I suspect most people agree that addressing it would be something very welcome.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
Try not to stop so much...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.