Author Topic: warranty on tps  (Read 15099 times)

Offline kjk concours

warranty on tps
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:48:16 PM »
Had mine replaced last year 1-2013. My front came on the other morning saying low battery. It was cold out and after a mile it went out. How long is the warranty on these sensors.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: warranty on tps
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:11:19 PM »
What happened is normal IMHO.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:31:38 PM »
What happened is normal IMHO.

It is normal when the battery starts getting low, yes.  Mine is doing it now too, after 2.75 years and I will be asking the dealer about it soon when I ask about a tire quote.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:25:35 PM »
It is normal when the battery starts getting low, yes.  Mine is doing it now too, after 2.75 years and I will be asking the dealer about it soon when I ask about a tire quote.

Mine did that pretty much from day one Max when the temps were much below 50 degrees, and I know I am not alone in that occurring either.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 11:55:41 PM »
Mine did that pretty much from day one Max when the temps were much below 50 degrees, and I know I am not alone in that occurring either.

Mine only started this winter.  Although I don't doubt some started earlier, I wouldn't call it "normal".  I would call it frustrating and unnecessary, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 03:30:41 AM »
The sensors are covered within warranty and extended warranty if you have that.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 09:36:50 AM »
I sure don't miss those pain in the ass sensors I must admit. :)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »
I had a couple of years on mine b4 they started the warning. Rode another year as they kept getting worse staying for longer. Get them replaced next week on warranty

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 01:31:12 PM »
The sensors are covered within warranty and extended warranty if you have that.

OK, I just talked to my dealer today.  They said they have to see the warning message themselves or it is not covered.  A photo isn't enough for them.  And of course, mine are not bad enough YET that it would do that (show them; only me on a cold morning).  This means I have to spend all the money now to replace the tires and then 9 months later when it starts getting really annoying, have to go through all this again and get them replaced.  .  He suggested I call Kawasaki consumer hotline or something and complain about the situation.

As far as I am concerned, if an owner *EVER* gets a low battery warning, then they should be eligible immediately for replacement under warranty and a photo should be enough evidence.  Why the F*** should we have to be inconvenienced by warnings that take over the dash for months and months until it is finally bad enough that it will do it on command for some dealer to see?

Oh, and I have the extended warranty, but if I didn't, that would mean although the sensors are throwing occasional warnings NOW, by the time they would be "eligible" my warranty would be over.

Color me unhappy

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »
No one likes to trailer their bike, but that is what I would do.  Trailer it to the dealer in the morning, and let them see it with cold tires.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
No one likes to trailer their bike, but that is what I would do.  Trailer it to the dealer in the morning, and let them see it with cold tires.

And do it before the weather warms up.

Offline kjk concours

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 03:50:43 PM »
Just changed the battery on rear tps today. Went through the same troubble with my dealer, had to ride it in 35 degrees to show them the battery was low last year. When they put in new sensors last year they over torqued the caliper bolts and stripped two of the allen heads. Will not take it back to them again.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »
OK, I just talked to my dealer today.  They said they have to see the warning message themselves or it is not covered.  A photo isn't enough for them.  And of course, mine are not bad enough YET that it would do that (show them; only me on a cold morning).  This means I have to spend all the money now to replace the tires and then 9 months later when it starts getting really annoying, have to go through all this again and get them replaced.  .  He suggested I call Kawasaki consumer hotline or something and complain about the situation.

As far as I am concerned, if an owner *EVER* gets a low battery warning, then they should be eligible immediately for replacement under warranty and a photo should be enough evidence.  Why the F*** should we have to be inconvenienced by warnings that take over the dash for months and months until it is finally bad enough that it will do it on command for some dealer to see?

Oh, and I have the extended warranty, but if I didn't, that would mean although the sensors are throwing occasional warnings NOW, by the time they would be "eligible" my warranty would be over.

Color me unhappy

Depends on the dealer, Max.  Sounds like you have one of the aholes, of which there are a plenty.  Unfortunately the only downside I see with owning one of these bikes is the dealer network.  I agree with you totally on your assessment.  There isn't any standardization on how they treat their customers and they don't  :censored: realize that they are alienating them from ever buying another one.  But then again, I don't know how the other brands treat their customers either.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kjk concours

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »
Up in this neck of the woods, they are about ten years behind in technology. The bigger the hammer and screwdriver the better.

Offline xsv

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 08:06:35 PM »
If they are removed, is there anything special that needs to be done to prevent any type of error message on the screen?

My 2009 has intermittent messages and I am contemplating removing them in the next couple of months when I put on new tires.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 08:43:58 PM »
No error message when they are dead or removed.

Offline xsv

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 09:04:30 PM »
No error message when they are dead or removed.

Thanks.
At least there is an option. :)
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 10:56:14 PM »
[...] A photo isn't enough for them.  And of course, mine are not bad enough YET that it would do that (show them; only me on a cold morning).  [...]

Well, rode 30 min to a friend's house, nada.  But after dinner on the way home, it sat in 48-50 degrees for a few hours.  Started it and got a few blocks and wham, front TPS low bat.   That surprises me... perhaps they do get worse more quickly than I expected.  I pulled over and got photos and a video.  I guess I will try calling Kawasaki on monday... maybe I will get lucky.

Offline FreeC14

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 11:11:21 PM »
Going through the TPS crap with my dealer on a C14 2012.  They say if they don't see the error and they remove the part, then test it after removal and it shows as good, they will charge me for the work.  They also said that all parts replaced under warranty are kept for 3 months.  At any time, Kawasaki can call down from the mother ship to audit the parts.  If the parts work, Kaw does not pay the dealer for the parts. 

My front TPS has been whacked since last August, so cold weather is not a factor.  Sometimes the TPS works, sometimes it shows low battery, sometimes it's dead, and sometimes it shows what looks like a legitimate low pressure warning with correctly inflated tires.   Seeing a 27 psi warning while riding 80 MPH down the super slab is not a good feeling.  Now i don't pay attention.  I dread the day when the warning is correct.  So now the safety equipment is a safety hazard.  What a bunch of  :censored: .

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 06:15:34 AM »
I sure don't miss those pain in the ass sensors I must admit. :)

Sounds like you had 'em installed in the wrong location.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn